Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Greenville, South Carolina information needed regarding property taxes, cost of living, school districts, special needs programs for autistic child, back to school consideration for current stay-at-home mom

Old 04-12-2007, 10:31 PM

11 posts, read 21,516 times

Advertisements

Hello All!!!! I hope you are all having a wonderful day! I have a few questions for you. I live in Bucks County Pennsylvania, but I am considering relocating to Greenville County, NC. I am a creature of habit, so a big move like that scares me. My husband and I don't have a lot of money, so coming to visit before the big leap is impossible. (A little background), We have 3 children, 15, 9, 3. Our 3 yr. old has Autism. So where ever we end up, we need to have schooling nearby that provides for his special needs, as he goes a full day of school for speech/occupational/developmental therapy here in Pa. Is there anything like that in Greenville? We have decided to leave Pa. due to the fact that we feel that we are drowning here. We both grew up here, but things have just become so bad for those few that don't make the big bucks. A 2 bedroom house in our area goes for no less than $300,000. plus $5,000. Property tax. 3 bedroom apartments go for $1500. per month plus utl. and that's not even in the nice part of town. That's just the tip of the iceberg. Which has ultimately pushed us into below poverty level. My husband makes $42,000. a year, (he works in a warehouse for Tru Green Chemlawn, working on the small equipment), and at the present time, I have been unable to work due to my sons needs (He is just now starting his full day school). Neither of us have degrees in anything, I am considering going back to school, and my husband is a Jack Of All Trades Master Of None! Which brings me to yet another question. Are incomes really lower in NC? And, Are there many jobs for people like us? I just want a better life for my children, I want a nice, safe place for my children to come home to! I have read about Downtown Greenville and it sounds wonderful! Almost to good to be true. I live about 5 minutes from Philadelphia, where murders happen everyday. It's not like that is it? As I said, I know nothing about your Beautiful State, but I am hopping that maybe someone could please clue me in as to whether or not this is the right place to call home! And I promise to leave ALL of the philly riff-raff behind! LOL. Good riddens to Pa. PLEASE HELP ME!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2007, 10:08 AM

11 posts, read 21,516 times
I'm sorry for the confusion, I meant SOUTH Carolina!

Old 04-13-2007, 06:06 PM

5,593 posts, read 15,378,718 times
Default I am Repying :)

Hi Jingleballs7568!

Don't worry, you are one of many families in the U.S. who "don't make the big bucks" these days. I would even venture to guess that it may be a majority of people. I am so glad to be living in a safe and affordable city where the quality of life is something the rich would pay loads of money to try and achieve. Greenville is indeed almost too good to be true, yet it is completely true.

Since you mentioned the need of a school for special needs children, you will definitely want to check out Washington Center. It is part of the Greenville County School District and is specifically dedicated to children with special needs. I have heard great things about this school. They recently moved into a beautiful new facility.

If you prefer a private school for special needs children, I recommend Hidden Treasure Christian School. I have also heard great stories about that place.

If you decide to go back to school, there are several options here in Greenville. I recommend checking out the University Center (broken link) for more information, although there are plenty of other choices available as well.

You and your husband should have no trouble locating a job here. Income usually isn't a problem as the cost of living is so much less, but I am sure you'll find something that will more than meet your needs. I recommend visiting the One Stop Greenville County Workforce System online or in town.

I hope this has been at least slightly helpful to you. If there are any additional questions, please feel free to ask away, and I will do my best to help provide accurate and useful information. I feel strongly that you will be successful here in Greenville.

Old 04-14-2007, 07:18 AM

11 posts, read 52,180 times
Thumbs up reply for info about Greenville, SC

I, too, moved here from PA just after Christmas. Your income is no worse or better than my and my husband's was. Our children are grown however. I think you will be pleasantly surprised if you come here to live. A visit first would of course cement your decision. I have found the cost of living to be quite reasonable here compared to the area in Beaver County where we lived. We are still in the process of selling our home there so I am here alone at this time.
The people are so friendly and there is so much to do and see in the area. I don't know about the schools but there is a lady that is in my Sunday School class who has been a teacher assistant with autistic children for years and she loves her job. I will ask her about it. There are many trade schools, community colleges, and universities here for your own education if you desire. I personally recommend Greenville Technical College but I work there as a nursing instructor so I guess I'm partial to the school and the career of nursing. Good luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area