Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 03:12 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,784,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
I was curious to see so much enthusiasm for another chain restaurant. Don’t get me wrong, I like The Cheesecake Factory but its not really on my list of top places I'd like to eat. The food is pricey for what you get and the only thing that makes it worth while is eating on the top floor of San Francisco's downtown Macy's building and being able to sit on the balcony looking down on the city below. The wait is excruciating (2+ hours easy on a busy day) and they don’t accept reservations.
I went to the one in San Francisco last year. Amazing view of Union Square. Had to wait two hours for a table though. Should have gotten reservations in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2009, 03:13 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,859,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingNJ View Post

NewYorkBorn, no offense, but what the heck are you talking about? White Plains borders the Bronx?!? White Plains is at least 12 - 15 miles from any Bronx border as the crow flies. Even if you could find a bus to take you there from the Bronx, it sure wouldn't be a short ride going through all those towns in between. I happen to know the Bronx and Westchester quite well, and that just doesn't compute.

By the way, White Plains is "countrylike?" Are you sure you've been to White Plains?

Kind of what I thought. I'm in NYC often as my company is based there. The above didn't compute for me as well.

Old 06-26-2009, 03:14 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,079,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
I went to the one in San Francisco last year. Amazing view of Union Square. Had to wait two hours for a table though. Should have gotten reservations in advance.
There are no reservations which makes it that much more ridiculous considering the consistent wait times and the supposed "upper class" feel.

Old 06-26-2009, 03:18 PM

1,556 posts, read 3,547,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingNJ View Post
Yeah, I have to agree with you there, especially the oversized portions...to the point of being unappetizing...seems like there must be an outrageous amount of waste there.

NewYorkBorn, no offense, but what the heck are you talking about? White Plains borders the Bronx?!? White Plains is at least 12 - 15 miles from any Bronx border as the crow flies. Even if you could find a bus to take you there from the Bronx, it sure wouldn't be a short ride going through all those towns in between. I happen to know the Bronx and Westchester quite well, and that just doesn't compute.

By the way, White Plains is "countrylike?" Are you sure you've been to White Plains?
Not correct, go to NYC get on the number 5 train. Get off on Dyre Avenue (last stop on the 5 train), walk down two blocks you are no longer in the Bronx but will be in Mount Vernon (Westchester county). Yes there is a such thing as the Bronx being on the border of Westchester.

Obviously you don't know it that well. Notice on the NYC subway map below where it shows Dyre Ave. being the last stop on the 5 train? Again Dyre Avenue is in the Northeast Bronx, last stop on the #5 train then walking distance (2-3 blocks) to Westchester county.

I lived there for years!

http://www.mta.info/nyct/service/images/fiveline.gif (broken link)

STATION SERVICE KEY SUBWAY TRANSFER KEYStops All Times Full Time Stops All Times, Except Late Night (weekdays 11pm to 5:30am ,
weekends 10:15pm to 6am) Part Time Stops Rush Hours (6:15 to 10am; 3:15 to 8:45pm)
Stops All Times, Except Late Night and Rush Hours peak directions
(6:15am to 9am ,
4:30pm to 7:45pm)
Stops Rush Hours, peak directions

Stations / Cross StreetsSubway
TransfersBus and Rail
Connections BRONX -North of East 180 St to Eastchester-Dyre Av / 233 StEastchester-Dyre Avenue /
233 Street
Bx16, Bee Line #52, #55Baychester Avenue /
Tillotson AvenueBx30, Bee Line #60, #61, #62, #90Gun Hill Road /
Seymour AvenueBx28Pelham Parkway /
Williamsbridge Road Bx8, Bx12Morris Park /
EsplanadeStations / Cross StreetsSubway
TransfersBus and Rail
Connections BRONX -North of East 180 St to Nereid Av Nereid Av
White Plains RdBx16, Bx41, Bee Line #25, #26, #40, #41, #42233 Street /
White Plains Road
Bx31, Bee Line #42, Metro-North225 Street /
White Plains Road

Bx8219 Street /
White Plains Road
Gun Hill Road /
White Plains Road
Bx28, Bx30, Bx39, Bx41, Bx55 Burke Avenue /
White Plains Road
Allerton Avenue
White Plains RoadBx25, Bx26
Pelham Parkway /
White Plains Road Bx12, Bx22, Bee Line #60, #61, #62, #90 Bronx Park East /
White Plains RoadBx22, Bx39Stations / Cross StreetsSubway
TransfersBus and Rail
Connections BRONXEast 180 Street /
Morris Park AvenueBx21West Farms Square-
E Tremont Avenue /
Boston Road-Bronx ZooBx9, Bx21, Bx36, Bx40, Bx42, Q44174 Street /
Southern BoulevardBx19, Bx21, Bx36Freeman Street /
Southern Boulevard

Simpson Street /
Westchester Avenue
Bx4, Bx5, Bx11, Bx19, Bx27, Bx35Intervale Avenue /
Westchester AvenueBx6Prospect Avenue /
Westchester AvenueBx17Jackson Avenue /
Westchester Avenue3 Avenue-149 Street
Bx2, Bx4, Bx15, Bx19, Bx21, Bx41, Bx55149 Street-
Grand Concourse Bx1, Bx19138 Street /
Grand ConcourseBx1, Bx33 MANHATTAN125 Street /
Lexington Avenue
M35, M60 (to LaGuardia Airport), M98, M100, M101, M103, Bx15,
Metro-North86 Street /
Lexington Avenue M86, M102 59 Street /
Lexington Avenue
( with MetroCard )M31, M57, Q32 Grand Central-42 Street /
Lexington Avenue
M42, M98, M104,
Metro-North 14 Street - Union Square/
4 Avenue M1, M2, M3, M6, M7, M9, M14 Brooklyn Bridge-City Hall /
Centre Street
M1, M6, M15, M22, M103, B51 Fulton Street /
Broadway M1, M6 Wall Street /
Broadway Bowling Green /
Broadway
M1, M6, M9, M15, Staten Island Ferry BROOKLYNBorough Hall /
Court Street
(Northbound only) B25, B37, B38, B41, B45, B51, B52, B65, B103Nevins Street /
Flatbush Avenue B25, B26, B38, B52, B54 Atlantic Avenue /
Flatbush Avenue
B41, B45, B63, B65, B67, LIRR Franklin Avenue /
Eastern Parkway B48, B49, B71 President Street /
Nostrand Avenue B44 Sterling Street /
Nostrand Avenue B43 Winthrop Street /
Nostrand Avenue B12 Church Avenue /
Nostrand Avenue
B35 Beverly Road /
Nostrand Avenue Newkirk Avenue /
Nostrand Avenue B8 Brooklyn College-Flatbush Avenue /
Nostrand Avenue
B6, B11, B41, B44, B103, Q35

Last edited by NewYorkBorn; 06-26-2009 at 03:41 PM..

Old 06-26-2009, 03:21 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,079,146 times
That is so horribly confusing.

Old 06-26-2009, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenville View Post
You have been telling the rest of us how to post since you arrived, and correcting our "biased" thoughts and opinions. What else ya got?
Now you are lying!! Every post on here by me has been to answer the question (provide my advice and experience) of someone who asked a question on here. I NEVER tell any of you what to say on here because I could care less, your experience is your experience and your opinion is your opinion. This site is not for debate, it is supposed to simply be to provide some perspective for those who are interested in moving here. The only time I say anything to the mob on here is when a statement is directed at me.

Old 06-26-2009, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
Kind of what I thought. I'm in NYC often as my company is based there. The above didn't compute for me as well.
Again notice on my post where I said I lived in the Bronx and the Cheesecake Factory is a short bus ride away. 12-15 miles is a short bus ride away!

Old 06-26-2009, 03:47 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,859,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkBorn View Post
Again notice on my post where I said I lived in the Bronx and the Cheesecake Factory is a short bus ride away. 12-15 miles is a short bus ride away!
NewYorkBorn, no offense, but your post continue to become more unbelieveable.

From the middle of Bronx to White Plains is aprox 20 miles, and with traffic, you are talking a 45 minute ride minimum (if on a bus, you'll have stops).

Your post have not been factually accurate about Greenville. You have stated an opinion and everyone has opinions, but your post on Greenville have not been factually accurate. Now, your post are becoming less and less accurate about your supposed original New York home. Your post have changed and morphed throughout this thread as you are called out on these inconsistency. Sorry, but it just doesn't pass the smell test.

I sincerely hope you are someone here for valid dialogue, debate, conversation and information exchange, but much of your posting has seemed questionable and trollish.

Old 06-26-2009, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
NewYorkBorn, no offense, but your post continue to become more unbelieveable.

From the middle of Bronx to White Plains is aprox 20 miles, and with traffic, you are talking a 45 minute ride minimum (if on a bus, you'll have stops).

Your post have not been factually accurate about Greenville. You have stated an opinion and everyone has opinions, but your post on Greenville have not been factually accurate. Now, your post are becoming less and less accurate about your supposed original New York home. You post have changed and morphed throughout this thread as you are called out on these inconsistency. Sorry, but it just doesn't pass the smell test.

I sincerely hope you are someone here for valid dialogue and debate, but much of your posting has seemed questionable and trollish.
Every post that I have posted here has been based on fact (my experiences) but can not speak for others experiences and do not care to. Regarding my "supposed NYC home", was born there and raised there 34 years of my life. Lived in both Brooklyn (born there) and the Bronx (lived there several years). As for facts about the bus ride to the Cheesecake factory from the Bronx to Westchester whether it takes 20 minutes or 45 minutes does not matter the point here is that you assumed that I drove and left the good restaurants in Manhattan to go to Westchester to the Cheesecake Factory. Wrong! From there I corrected your assumption and told you I took the bus (Bee line) which picks people up on the Bronx side and takes them to locations in Westchester www.beelinebus.com. From there LeavingNJ jumped in and said that the Bronx does not border Westchester. Of course you are both wrong because in the Northeast Bronx Westchester is not far away (see map that I posted to LeavingNJ). There is a difference between visiting NYC and living there. I am qualified to speak about both NYC and Greenville because I have lived in both places.

Saying that the job opportunities and wages are low in Greenville is fact. Regarding being here to debate. No I am not here to debate. This site is supposed to be about those who live here answering the questions of potential newcomers. Therefore I only respond to the questions of people who are thinking about moving to Greenville. The rest of the self proclaimed forum police only hear from me when I am directly spoken to.

Old 06-26-2009, 04:19 PM

183 posts, read 500,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkBorn View Post
Yes there is a such thing as the Bronx being on the border of Westchester.

Obviously you don't know it that well.
I never said the Bronx wasn't on the border of Westchester, just that it most certainly DOES NOT border White Plains, which is the statement you made. White Plains is another 12-15 miles away, and there's no quick way to get there via bus from the Bronx. It'll take you at least 15-20 minutes on the parkway if you're lucky and at least twice that in a bus on local roads. You may have lived there for years, but you're confused.

I was born in the Bronx, spent 15 years there, then spent the next 12 in Westchester. At one point I drove a delivery truck throughout all of Westchester and beyond, 5 days a week. So I think I know the lay of the land pretty well.

P.S., Just for fun I checked your BeeLine bus schedule. From the Bronx to White Plains takes just under an hour. That's a short ride?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area