Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 01:04 PM

156 posts, read 332,273 times

Advertisements

Ok, now, if anyone if Gville has ANY doubt about how sour our economy is her in Gville, read the artivle on the front page of the paper today. As an employee of one of Gville's largest employers.....this comes as no big shock. GHS is hurting for cash just like everyone else in the country. And when you see a business like GHS falling like they are, it doesn't look good!

Right now they have 26 openings for nurses SYSTEM WIDE. Think about it, a business with over 8000 employees and they are only hiring 26.

I'd say Gville as a whole has not gotten thru this recession unscathed and many people are mistaken painting a rosy "we're all good " pic of this city!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2009, 01:26 PM

1,556 posts, read 3,548,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sistajane View Post
Ok, now, if anyone if Gville has ANY doubt about how sour our economy is her in Gville, read the artivle on the front page of the paper today. As an employee of one of Gville's largest employers.....this comes as no big shock. GHS is hurting for cash just like everyone else in the country. And when you see a business like GHS falling like they are, it doesn't look good!

Right now they have 26 openings for nurses SYSTEM WIDE. Think about it, a business with over 8000 employees and they are only hiring 26.

I'd say Gville as a whole has not gotten thru this recession unscathed and many people are mistaken painting a rosy "we're all good " pic of this city!
You know what answer they will give you.......it is because of the economy and other areas of the country are going through the same thing speech! Don't you understand that golf courses, downtown Greenville and nice subdivisions are the only things that are important. Never mind the fact that it takes MONEY and more then working a low wage job to enjoy golf, downtown Greenville or nice subdivisions. This forum is no place to discuss the limited job opportunities in Greenville!

Speaking of low wage jobs.......just out of curiosity checked online to see what jobs they are offering in GSP. Stumbled across this beauty.........office job paying $9.00 an hour......no surprise there!

Back to Search Results >>Save it

Email It
Upload Resume

Clerical
7/4/2009
Report It
See all jobs at this companyPrinter-Friendly Version | Save this jobSaved Job[SIZE=1](Notes)[/SIZE] | Email this job
Job OverviewCompany: HKA Enterprise, Inc.Location: US-SC-SpartanburgBase Pay: $9.00 /HourEmployee Type: ContractorIndustry: InsuranceManages Others: Not SpecifiedJob Type: Admin - Clerical
MarketingReq'd Education: Not SpecifiedReq'd Experience: Not SpecifiedReq'd Travel: Not SpecifiedRelocation Covered: Not Specified Contact: Tanzie ZizzaPhone: 800-825-5452Email: Send Email NowFax: Not Available Ref ID: Not AvailableCompany OverviewWho we are & what we do:
HKA Enterprises, INC. is an established market driven and contract resource solution provider. We are committed to a level of service and integrity that will encourage long-term relationships and ensure the success of HKA, Clients and our employees. For over thirty years we have been serving our nationwide client base from our corporate office in upstate South Carolina providing technical, administrative, specialty craft and skilled labor resources. Job Description

*Part time* 16 hrs. per week Pay $9.00 an hour!!

This is an interview position.

Answering the phones, claims & telemarketing.

Job Requirements Experience in word, excel and outlook
A self starter and work unsupervised

Report It
For your privacy and protection, when applying to a job online:
Never give your social security number to a prospective employer, provide credit card or bank account information, or perform any sort of monetary transaction. Learn More >>

Last edited by NewYorkBorn; 07-05-2009 at 01:39 PM..

Old 07-05-2009, 09:47 PM

5,593 posts, read 15,380,209 times
They will be leasing them and will still occupy their current 80% of the space, so basically nothing will change from our perspective. The rest of the space will still be leased by other medical offices and services, as is currently the case. GHS is not hurting. It is definitely a growing hospital system, although at a slower rate during the current global economic recession. There is absolutely no reason to be alarmed by this news.

Old 07-05-2009, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkBorn View Post
...Speaking of low wage jobs.......just out of curiosity checked online to see what jobs they are offering in GSP. Stumbled across this beauty.........office job paying $9.00 an hour......no surprise there!...
That could be a decent opportunity for a college student, but it would be totally ignorant to assume this one position is a microcosm of the job market in the Upstate. An annual salary of $7,000 would not support even the poorest class person anywhere in the U.S.

Old 07-05-2009, 10:06 PM

2,068 posts, read 5,967,438 times
I honestly don't understand people who move here from large metropolitan areas and expect to make as much here as they did there. Hellooooooooooooooooooooooo! The cost of living is in general cheaper here and wages in many cases are bound to be less.

Old 07-06-2009, 09:41 AM

1,941 posts, read 4,470,014 times
Right. The point is that the (possible) decrease in income compared to a very large city is not nearly as great as the (guaranteed) decrease in cost of living. The end result is that you have a much higher quality of life in Greenville, with your money going much farther than it did before. Most people understand that, but a few people here obviously don't.

There is a reason why much of the Northeast is losing population, and much of the South is gaining population. People are realizing that higher taxes, higher home prices, and a general higher cost of living are not worth it when you can have a much better quality of life in most of the mid-size to larger metros in the South.

People from other parts of the country who imagine the South being a bunch of rural communities with backwards people truly are "blown away" when they visit and see just how great we have it here.

Old 07-06-2009, 10:06 AM

199 posts, read 493,047 times
I know when I moved here, I did some research on Monster, Careerbuilder and other websites to see the opportunities available before just up and coming to a new part of the country.

I would assume anyone wanting to move here would do similar due diligence. Those that do start looking, will be able to determine what is available for their respective fields rather than rely on people's opinions on this forum. Some (many) on this forum have had great luck in their career fields in the Greenville area. Others, have had a tougher time looking for work in their feilds. This is no different than pointing out that some people are buying homes right now, while others are being forclosed upon. People succeed everyday, while others fail - yet the world keeps going round and round.

I'm very sorry to hear some have had tough times and have lost their jobs, homes etc... I hope I am never in their shoes. I do know that I work hard at living below my means so that I can afford to be out of work for an extended period of time and not lose the farm! People should do this whether they are in the North or the South.

I did see an article this weekend about the Clemson MBA program wanting to move from the main campus to Downtown Greenville in an effort to get their students closer to businesses in the area. I assume for easier case study research etc... That would offer a lot to both the students and the downtown area to have 70 MBA candidates living there. And they aren't moving to be closer to those working a $9/hr manufacturing job as some may lead you to believe.

Old 07-06-2009, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT Man View Post
I know when I moved here, I did some research on Monster, Careerbuilder and other websites to see the opportunities available before just up and coming to a new part of the country.

I would assume anyone wanting to move here would do similar due diligence. Those that do start looking, will be able to determine what is available for their respective fields rather than rely on people's opinions on this forum. Some (many) on this forum have had great luck in their career fields in the Greenville area. Others, have had a tougher time looking for work in their feilds. This is no different than pointing out that some people are buying homes right now, while others are being forclosed upon. People succeed everyday, while others fail - yet the world keeps going round and round.

I'm very sorry to hear some have had tough times and have lost their jobs, homes etc... I hope I am never in their shoes. I do know that I work hard at living below my means so that I can afford to be out of work for an extended period of time and not lose the farm! People should do this whether they are in the North or the South.

I did see an article this weekend about the Clemson MBA program wanting to move from the main campus to Downtown Greenville in an effort to get their students closer to businesses in the area. I assume for easier case study research etc... That would offer a lot to both the students and the downtown area to have 70 MBA candidates living there. And they aren't moving to be closer to those working a $9/hr manufacturing job as some may lead you to believe.
Excellent post.

The article you read states that there are currently 270 students enrolled in the MBA program, and 185 of them are working professionals taking night classes.

Old 07-06-2009, 11:09 AM

199 posts, read 493,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
Excellent post.

The article you read states that there are currently 270 students enrolled in the MBA program, and 185 of them are working professionals taking night classes.
Thanks and I stand corrected. The move would relocate approximately 85 full time students from areas near Clemson University to areas near downtown Greenville.

Out of the 185 part time MBA students, most already take night classes off of Pleasantburg Drive in Greenville.

Old 07-07-2009, 12:33 PM

1,556 posts, read 3,548,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
That could be a decent opportunity for a college student, but it would be totally ignorant to assume this one position is a microcosm of the job market in the Upstate. An annual salary of $7,000 would not support even the poorest class person anywhere in the U.S.
IGNORED!!

New York Leads U.S. Cities In Population Growth
NY1 | 24 Hour Local News | Top Stories | New York Leads U.S. Cities In Population Growth

"Census data also shows many of the country's urban areas are growing at faster rates than the rest of the nation, reversing a long-standing trend of migration to the suburbs."

Wow, wonder why? Maybe because there are diverse job opportunities there!!

Last edited by NewYorkBorn; 07-07-2009 at 01:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area