Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 11:18 AM

49 posts, read 253,281 times

Advertisements

I really enjoy going to Barley's when eating downtown. Excellent pizza, and 50-something beers on tap.

http://www.barleystaproom.com/greenville/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2007, 11:39 AM

250 posts, read 1,209,442 times
It's not Downtown Greenville, but for Thai, my favorite is Thaicoon ( http://www.thaicoon.net/ ).

There are a couple of really good Sushi Bars downtown: Tsunami Sushi and Sushi Murasaki...both are worth your time.

Old 05-23-2007, 02:01 PM

Texas Roadhouse in Taylors. If you've not ever been, you must go. The steaks are to die for and very reasonably priced!

Old 05-23-2007, 06:23 PM

5,519 posts, read 15,291,100 times
I haven't been there in years (and I mean YEARS). That is (or was) a great place to eat a steak when I ate there. I have been to the one in Anderson since then and it was great as well. I would place Texas Roadhouse a couple notches above Outback Steakhouse, close to Rafferty's, but not quite at the level (or cost) of Restaurant O, Larkin's on the River, or Justin's Steakhouse (http://www.justinssteakhouse.com/home.htm - broken link), among several others in Greenville. For a chain steakhouse, TR is very good and has a nice rustic casual atmosphere.

Old 05-23-2007, 07:34 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,684,228 times
What's the name off that steakhouse off of Pelham, next to all the other restaurants? The place is a little too kitshy for me with the peanuts on the floor but atmosphere aside the steaks are quite good. I just feel that the enviornment detracts rather than enhances from the food. Steaks are really good.

Old 05-23-2007, 07:54 PM

6 posts, read 14,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
Once you visit downtown, you'll see that there are more dining options available in any variety of ethnicities than you'll have time to comprehend. Most of these are not National chains so you should easily find what you are looking for downtown.

Now for a few restaurants I would recommend (it is very hard to pick just a few from such a fine selection downtown)...

Italian:Thai:German:French:
  • Paris Cafe & Bakery - 116 N. Main Street
Misc. International:Great Southern Cuisine:
You may want to check when these places are open. Some of them don't open on Sundays for some reason.

Edit: I had to add another restaurant to the list. Seriously, there are so many I would love to recommend, but you'll just have to look around and take your pick. With over 80 restaurants in downtown alone (and several new ones opening soon), it is easy to understand why the dining decisions are so hard. I have said this before, but I'll add it here; "A walk up and down Greenville's Main Street is a culinary trip around the World." And while this is true, there are plenty of great options outside downtown as well.
I would not recommend Ristorante Bergamo downtown. I went there 2 yrs ago my now wife there for Valentines Day dinner and to propose to her. The manager(short haired woman) doesn't know anything about customer service. Into her meal, she did not like much her food and we asked the waitress if by any chance, we can change her meal. She called the manager and the manager was annoyed by my question and she told me "I told you if everything was alright!". What she meant is that she did come to our table when we just started eating our meal if everything was ok. My wife started not liking the taste of her meal in midst of our meal.

I would not have mind if they could not have changed my wife's meal for something else. We just thought we asked. I would have been happy if the manager would have said politely, "Im sorry we cant change the meal".

That experience ruined our evening and memories of when I proposed to my wife. I would not recommend that place

Old 05-23-2007, 08:22 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,684,228 times
Ray,
I'm sorry to hear that. What a bummer on what was otherwise an unforgettable night. You should probably post that in the worst restaurant thread. Bad restaurants don't just have to be about food, they could also qualify for poor service as well. I do have to say though that by and large waiters/waitresses are nicer here than anywhere I've ever been.

Old 05-23-2007, 09:02 PM

11,689 posts, read 24,653,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
What's the name off that steakhouse off of Pelham, next to all the other restaurants? The place is a little too kitshy for me with the peanuts on the floor but atmosphere aside the steaks are quite good. I just feel that the enviornment detracts rather than enhances from the food. Steaks are really good.
Chophouse '47?

Old 05-23-2007, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
I haven't been there in years (and I mean YEARS). That is (or was) a great place to eat a steak when I ate there. I have been to the one in Anderson since then and it was great as well. I would place Texas Roadhouse a couple notches above Outback Steakhouse, close to Rafferty's, but not quite at the level (or cost) of Restaurant O, Larkin's on the River, or Justin's Steakhouse (http://www.justinssteakhouse.com/home.htm - broken link), among several others in Greenville. For a chain steakhouse, TR is very good and has a nice rustic casual atmosphere.
Don't forget the Peddler. They're not Morton's, but I'd almost rank them right up there with Morton's.

Old 05-29-2007, 09:30 AM

107 posts, read 518,802 times
Only one mention of Restaurant O. I've only been to several restaurants in downtown greenville so far and The O was one of them. It was a wonderful dining experience and well worth the expense for a special night out.
There was a brew pub I went to as well, but don't remember the name of it. They had some good beers and some really good food, but the ceiling was literally falling down as we ate. A good 1' x 1' section of ceiling plummeted from above and smashed down atop the bar as we were eating in a nearby booth. They also had buckets strewn about to catch the rain coming through. I hope they have gotten that fixed!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area