U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 04:56 PM

21 posts, read 61,975 times

Advertisements

I have decided to relocate to either Charleston or Greenville. I am single, female and 34 y/o. I have lived in Chicago for the last 12 years and decided it was time to downsize a bit, spend more time outdoors, and buy a place that has more than one room. I like the area because my family has moved south and I like the slower pace and the fact that it is relatively conservative in the general sense. Anyone have any insight on the differences or nuances of each place?
Rate this post positively

Old 07-29-2009, 06:43 PM

1,941 posts, read 4,103,202 times
I grew up in Greenville and currently live in Charleston. I think Greenville is a lot better city with more advantages and a higher quality of life. Both cities are popular, and both offer something very different. Deciding which one is better for you really depends on what you are looking for.

Charleston is what often comes to mind when people think of the old, coastal aristocratic South. It's a large port city, 10 minutes from the beach. Lots of history there. Many preserved buildings, narrow one-way streets, and plantations-turned-tourist sites. There are some great restaurants in Charleston's historic district. Several universities in the area give it a young vibe (and contribute most of the nightlife spots). Unfortunately, real estate is overpriced for what you get, the city has a flooding problem, and it frequently stinks downtown (some say it is from a paper mill, others because it is high tide). There is also a sharp contrast between the million dollar-plus homes and the ghetto (and they aren't more than a few blocks apart).

Greenville is sort of the new kid on the block, as it was not "important" nearly as early as Charleston was. Greenville was a textile hub, until area leaders started to recreate the metro area into the economic engine of the state. What Charleston is to the state's tourism, Greenville is to the state's corporate presence. Michelin North America's headquarters, BMW's North American manufacturing headquarters, and many other international corporations call Greenville home. This gives the city a real diversity that other mid-size metros don't have. I was able to appreciate Greenville's diversity when I moved to Charleston, as Charleston doesn't offer the diversity you see in Greenville. Greenville really is a melting pot. And whatever you are doing in Greenville, the mountains provide a great backdrop.

Both areas, although very different, will give you a break from the traffic and hassles you are probably accustomed to in Chicago. People are friendly in both places. So as you gather information, be thinking about whether you prefer an historic, laid-back coastal city or a newer, business-oriented metro close to the mountains.

Hope this helps!

Old 07-29-2009, 08:49 PM

21 posts, read 61,975 times
Thank you for your post. I found it very helpful. I think Greenville is a great place to live. I work in the healthcare industry and the fact that Greenville is growing opens up lots of opportunities. Thank you.

Old 07-29-2009, 10:17 PM

6,441 posts, read 20,410,938 times
Do not move here while the economy is tanking. If you have a job in Chicago keep it. Even healthcare has taken a beating here. I know all of the reasons why you want out of Chicago, I lived there for 25 years but now is not the time to add to our state's unemployment rate. We got out while home prices were still rising because we saw what was coming. Unless you have a ton of money to live on do not make yourself another statistic down here.

Old 07-29-2009, 10:49 PM

1,941 posts, read 4,103,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
Do not move here while the economy is tanking. If you have a job in Chicago keep it. Even healthcare has taken a beating here. I know all of the reasons why you want out of Chicago, I lived there for 25 years but now is not the time to add to our state's unemployment rate. We got out while home prices were still rising because we saw what was coming. Unless you have a ton of money to live on do not make yourself another statistic down here.
With that said, companies in Greenville are hiring. Obviously the unemployment rate nationwide is high, and competition for jobs is fierce. But don't let that stop you from applying for a job somewhere you want to live. Sound advice would be to only move when you have a job. That is good advice anytime, but especially these days.

Old 07-30-2009, 10:05 AM

1,556 posts, read 3,287,574 times
Quote:
Thank God someone on here is willing to tell people interested in relocating here the truth. The Greenville police are coming after you now!

But good for you for telling the truth.

Last edited by NewYorkBorn; 07-30-2009 at 10:59 AM..

Old 07-30-2009, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smkalmer View Post
I have decided to relocate to either Charleston or Greenville. I am single, female and 34 y/o. I have lived in Chicago for the last 12 years and decided it was time to downsize a bit, spend more time outdoors, and buy a place that has more than one room. I like the area because my family has moved south and I like the slower pace and the fact that it is relatively conservative in the general sense. Anyone have any insight on the differences or nuances of each place?
I second what myrc60 has already said. South Carolina along with other southern states has failed to diversify its job industries 20 - 30 years ago.......so now we are in a recession and the citizens here are being hit harder with high unemployment numbers. Please go into the general South Carolina forum and read the thread about Greenville having an over 15% unemployment rate.

Things are not good here.......and until the governor of SC (Mark Sanford) becomes serious about doing his job and attracting other industries to the state instead of sneaking down to Argentina to bang his mistress this problem with low paying jobs and lack of employment opportunities will continue in SC even after the recession is over! If you are in a larger well established city that offers more then manufacturing, retail or healthcare jobs......stay there. The bigger cities have a lot more industries to fall back on. When this recession is over SC will still be dependent on the same limited low paying job industries!

Trust us truth tellers on this one!

Good luck...

Old 07-30-2009, 10:38 AM

6,441 posts, read 20,410,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkBorn View Post
Thank God someone on here willing to tell people interested in relocating here the truth. The Greenville police are coming after you now!

But good for you for telling the truth.
Thanks, NYB. I am one of the thousands in Greenville looking for a job; I know of what I speak. I know several recent grad RN's that cannot find a job in Greenville.

If you have a job offer come on down; otherwise keep looking till you find something. It is rough here and its not getting better quickly. It doesn't help that SC just lost Carbon Motors either. Our government is asleep at the wheel.

Old 07-30-2009, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Thanks, NYB. I am one of the thousands in Greenville looking for a job; I know of what I speak. I know several recent grad RN's that cannot find a job in Greenville.

If you have a job offer come on down; otherwise keep looking till you find something. It is rough here and its not getting better quickly. It doesn't help that SC just lost Carbon Motors either. Our government is asleep at the wheel.
I was recently in the same position you are right now. I transferred with a company from NYC that has an office here in SC. Long story short they begin to lay people off in my office 2 years after I relocated here and (both native SC people and newcomers like me were laid off) I was one of the people laid off. You are right things are not getting better here anytime soon. In fact lets forget about the recession for a moment.......even after the recession is finished Greenville will still have the same problems because there is not a serious effort to create diversity and attract diverse industry to the area. Everything here is manufacturing and retail! That is a bad thing because it means limited job opportunities.

Because I decided to stay here in Greenville instead of selling my home and moving back to NYC my family sends money to me from NYC every month to help pay my bills I would have been in financial ruin here in Greenville if it were not for them.

You are right, even the healthcare industry is hurting. There is someone who works at Greenville Hospital System and posts on here........she said things are bad over there. That is why I tell people coming on here looking for advice the same thing. Live in a bigger city then stay there.......they don't need to relocate to SC and end up being another low wage earning statistic here or worse yet unemployed because of a lay off.

My heart goes out to you and others, I pray that you can weather the storm!

Old 07-30-2009, 11:06 AM

5,478 posts, read 14,201,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smkalmer View Post
If you like the area as a visitor, then you would probably enjoy living here. There are lots of outdoor activities to enjoy year-round, plus numerous free events provided by the city and other wonderful local organizations. Families, couples, groups of friends, and singles are out enjoying downtown, the parks, and the greenway system everyday. We are extremely fortunate to reside in a place with such a high quality of life at such a affordable price. We could scarcely be more satisfied and content living anywhere else. I work with a few people who relocated from Chicago. They love living here as well. One of them is a single female approximately ten years younger than you. After previously pursuing her career in various markets across the country, she is planning to settle down in this state, even calling herself an adopted "Carolina girl."

I highly recommend visiting both cities in person before making your final decision. Additionally, considering the current state of the global economy, I highly recommend contacting Greenville Hospital System, Bon Secours St. Francis Health System, AnMed Health, Spartanburg Regional Healthcare System, and Palmetto Health Baptist Medical Center Easley to discuss potential employment opportunities. These are the main hospital systems in the region, and are a great place to begin searching for a position. There are lots of additional medical offices in the region as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area