U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 12:32 PM

269 posts, read 1,040,134 times
Default Greenville Area--Tornadoes???

Well, my family and I are thinking about relocating to the greater Greenville area from Northern California. We have a scouting trip planned for early June and are looking forward to really checking out the area. So far, we've done a lot of research and the posts on these boards have been a wealth of information.

One of the items we have wondered about is tornado activity in Greenvillle County. My searches have indicated they should not be a concern for this area and I'm hoping some of you folks can confirm this for us. I know every area of the country has something to worry about (such as earthquakes in California), and would like to know if tornadoes are something we need to consider if we move to Greenville.

Thanks and I'm sure I'll have more questions later!

Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2007, 02:09 PM

5,409 posts, read 9,168,422 times
As a longtime resident of Greenville and the Upstate area, I can safely assure you that tornadoes are a very rare occurance here and when they do happen, are very small and "weak" compared to any that you see in the Midwest. I would say that it is by far one of the least weather-related problems to worry about.

Old 04-25-2007, 02:43 PM

65 posts, read 127,395 times
Default Weather

What are the most weather related items to woryy about???????

Old 04-25-2007, 04:58 PM

Flash flooding is common in low-lying areas near rivers or creeks, but we don't have the mudslides or landslides like I have seen in California. Beyond that, I would say occasional severe thunderstorms can cause minor damage or knock trees over, but this is a common event in any severe thunderstorm around the nation.

Old 04-26-2007, 12:04 AM

4,657 posts, read 5,420,134 times
I moved here last month from Socal and first visited last June. I hope your trip is as awesome as ours was. If it goes half as well you'll be planning your move here on the way back to Cali. lol

A week and a half ago we had crazy winds, something like 40-50 mph and the trees in the woods in our backyard were practically horizontal. Pretty cool to see. Coming from earhquake country it was no biggie.

Old 04-27-2007, 11:52 AM

8,837 posts, read 12,982,251 times
Wait. Greenville has tornadoes? Since when? I've lived here for my entire life and have never seen one. If they do occur, which like never happens, they last for less than 5 minutes and are F1 or smaller 99% of the time.

Old 04-27-2007, 11:53 AM

8,837 posts, read 12,982,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogersml10 View Post
What are the most weather related items to woryy about???????
Ice storms.

Old 04-27-2007, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
Ice storms.
That is something that happens about once a year, but hardly anything to worry about, unless we have another record-breaker like a couple years ago. Even then, the main problems that resulted were power outages for a few days and tree limbs that blocked roads in certain neighborhoods.

Old 05-06-2007, 01:25 PM

18 posts, read 37,220 times
Here in NC and SC all we have that does destruction weatherwise is anything thats related to trees falling. Get rid of any trees that could fall on your house, install a wood stove,grab a seat by the window and you have it made. The most beautiful sight is an ice storm..soo pretty!...not to much fun if you have big trees though.

Old 05-08-2007, 08:49 AM

250 posts, read 828,746 times
The worst weather-related issues I've seen since I've lived here are Ice Storms, by far. Tornadoes, although they can happen ANYWHERE, are not a concern here that I've seen and this is likely due to a number of factors (terrain, climate, etc.). Flash flooding can be a problem in low areas after heavy rains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area