U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 10:07 AM

8,871 posts, read 13,260,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gash_engineer View Post
Hi I just wanted to know if anyone on here works at the BMW plant or knows someone that does. I am looking to relocate my family to Greenville SPartanburg area and would love to work for BMW.

The other Question I had was, We love being in/on the water, lakes, etc. Are alligators a problem out there?
You can find information regarding getting a job at BMW here: Recruiting, Staffing and Outsourcing Services | MAU.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2009, 02:33 PM

2,151 posts, read 3,165,156 times
Quote:
We decided for a change and came out to Austin, Its just really expensive with most houses that we have looked at having between 3 and 5k in annual taxes. <snip>

TExas coast line is not something that I am used to either.
I have to ask the obvious question: didn't you research this before you moved?? Surely you looked at all the costs of living before you uprooted your family? Didn't you visit the area to see what it's like?

Old 08-21-2009, 06:41 PM

4,705 posts, read 4,865,075 times
Quote:
I will definately visit there before making any decisions. I moved to the states from South Africa about six years ago on an athletic scholarship. That was in Utah, I met my wife and we lived in Spanish Fork UT for about 3 years. Our kids suffered socially at school and after school as we werent members of the predomonant religion in that state. We decided for a change and came out to Austin, Its just really expensive with most houses that we have looked at having between 3 and 5k in annual taxes.
ALso I just havent felt the urge to set our roots here. Driving out almost 10 dollars in gas a day just getting around. I also thought I wouldnt miss the mountains,having lived in Cape Town RSA and Utah most of my life, but I DO!!

We are very outdoorsy folk and sometimes even take the tv outside at night and watch a movie and sleep outside on the trampoline.

TExas coast line is not something that I am used to either.

Ive ruled out Florida, any state in-land. and any state to far north. I hate cold winters but dont mind short spells. we are just eager to find our small town were there are hard working people who know how to have a good time and raise kids with some hard working folk.
Sounds like the Carolina's might be a good match for you and your family. I have been to Utah numerous times and, well, it's a nice place to visit. I would never live there. I consider Greenville a small town - about 60,000 - surrounded by tons and tons of unregulated sprawl.

One of the best things about Greenville is its proximity to western North Carolina. It's great for outdoorsy folk, but the outdoors here is different and smaller in terms of scale compared to out west. It's just too populated here for the amount of space designated as wilderness. There's plenty to do, just plan on sharing space more closely with others here than in Utah/Colorado.

The taxes are low here, and so are the services.

Come and take a visit, use the search feature on this site as well as the web in general, and follow your heart!

Old 08-22-2009, 08:22 PM

14 posts, read 21,825 times
Thanks Art123! I am getting excited, and this time I will make a visit beforehand. I have moved many times. Form South Africa to england and now to the states. You never know how to live there unless you live there. A place might be nice to visit but to call it home you have to try and make it home, Utah and Austin just arent home to us.

Old 08-25-2009, 07:41 PM
JS1

1,899 posts, read 3,980,721 times
I know someone who worked at BMW. She broke her foot, was placed on short-term disability (can't work the floor with a broken foot), and when short-term disability ended, they fired her.

No more paycheck, no more free BMW, just an ankle cast figuratively signed "thanks for working for us, now get lost crippie".

Old 08-25-2009, 10:09 PM

1,941 posts, read 2,665,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
Sounds like the Carolina's might be a good match for you and your family. I have been to Utah numerous times and, well, it's a nice place to visit. I would never live there. I consider Greenville a small town - about 60,000 - surrounded by tons and tons of unregulated sprawl.
You would be wrong. Greenville, a "small town" of 60,000? You do know that Greenville County alone - not even the entire metro area - is over 400,000, right? Or does that not count, since you only seem to like the tiny city limit part of Greenville?

By the way, I hope you also consider Atlanta a mid-size city of 519,145.

Old 08-25-2009, 10:29 PM

4,705 posts, read 4,865,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenville View Post
You would be wrong. Greenville, a "small town" of 60,000? You do know that Greenville County alone - not even the entire metro area - is over 400,000, right? Or does that not count, since you only seem to like the tiny city limit part of Greenville?
Yes, I do know that. That's why I mentioned the unregulated sprawl that surrounds Greenville (a.k.a. Greenville County).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area