Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 06:41 AM

745 posts, read 2,224,680 times

Advertisements

We visit the area about twice a year, and we've already made a number of friends that we regularly correspond with. Neither of us are particularly outgoing, but folks just strike up a conversation, unlike other places I've lived. It's nice to know that when we finally do move to SC, we'll have plenty of friends and contacts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2009, 09:50 AM

181 posts, read 407,742 times
It is funny that in today's world of internet forums such as this, and facebook, twitter, etc that people are amazed when actual real life contact with people in the Upstate is pleasant. Sure, there are grumpy people everywhere, but for the most part people in the Upstate are nice, friendly and enjoy meeting new people.

Old 08-22-2009, 12:00 PM

1,859 posts, read 3,411,747 times
Yes, people are generally friendly, which both my wife and I found to be a major positive, and one of the reasons why we moved to here by way of Columbia (I'm originally from Upstate, NY). Columbia is a generally friendly place, too, just not quite so compared with Greenville.

Old 08-23-2009, 07:53 AM

9,470 posts, read 9,319,340 times
Default How Did You Make Those Friends?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flgargoyle View Post
We visit the area about twice a year, and we've already made a number of friends that we regularly correspond with. Neither of us are particularly outgoing, but folks just strike up a conversation, unlike other places I've lived. It's nice to know that when we finally do move to SC, we'll have plenty of friends and contacts.
If you don't mind my asking, how did you manage to make friends and contacts in just 2 visits a year to Greenville?

I'm impressed!

Old 08-24-2009, 03:04 PM

745 posts, read 2,224,680 times
To be honest, many people I've met through on-line forums, which could happen anywhere. But we've also met people at the Friday night outdoor jazz concerts down town, at a small church we attended (it was obvious we were new, and folks fairly pounced on us), and we've met all of our future neighbors. I'm sure the neighbors came over to do a little 'fact finding', as well as being friendly, but here in FL, no one ever came over, unless their kids were selling something. I'm glad the neighbors came over to check us out- at least I know they're paying attention, and care what happens in their neighborhood. Too many people in areas like FL are in their own little world, and don't ever make conversation, or even eye contact. I guess it's the general mistrust that's creeping into our society. It seems like most people we meet in SC, whether it's in a store, or hiking. or enjoying downtown Greenville, have more time to sit and chat, like people used to do in the old days. I'll also admit that we are on vacation when we are in SC, so we're more relaxed, and in less of a hurry than back home.

Old 08-24-2009, 04:06 PM

2,208 posts, read 2,816,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Do couples have other couples they've met over to their homes for dinner? Or entertain at home in any way?
Are there areas where nobody does this?

Old 08-24-2009, 07:32 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,319,340 times
Default Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvsteve View Post
Are there areas where nobody does this?
When I lived in So. FL, almost no one had people over to dinner. We would have dinner parties and cookouts and the people we asked always came again and again but never returned the favor. Only a few others we knew entertained and like us, they didn't receive return invitations.

Here in the ATL area, on my street I rarely see cars visiting the homes. They surely don't invite us over. And we don't invite them because they are so unfriendly--not even speaking if they pass us on the sidewalk! They only talk to us if they want us to buy something their kids are selling or to help them in some way.

So I AM concerned about people entertaining. We like to have people over but would like a return invitation once in a while. We're looking for a friendly environment in which to spend our retirement. We want some (clean) FUN.

Old 08-24-2009, 10:09 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,372,986 times
I think it's that way in a lot of places, where we live now, people wave from their cars or nod and maybe smile if you pass them on the sidewalk and that's about it, everyone is busy with whatever and people just don't mingle the way it used to be. I too would hope for more friendliness when we move which is probably why we're leaning to a 55+ community where there seems to be more common interests if one is moving from another state and doesn't really have any connections otherwise.

Old 08-24-2009, 10:29 PM

976 posts, read 1,102,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
When I lived in So. FL, almost no one had people over to dinner. We would have dinner parties and cookouts and the people we asked always came again and again but never returned the favor. Only a few others we knew entertained and like us, they didn't receive return invitations.

Here in the ATL area, on my street I rarely see cars visiting the homes. They surely don't invite us over. And we don't invite them because they are so unfriendly--not even speaking if they pass us on the sidewalk! They only talk to us if they want us to buy something their kids are selling or to help them in some way.

So I AM concerned about people entertaining. We like to have people over but would like a return invitation once in a while. We're looking for a friendly environment in which to spend our retirement. We want some (clean) FUN.
You find that it's worse in ATL than New Yor... I mean S FL?

Old 08-24-2009, 11:44 PM

1,941 posts, read 4,450,632 times
People in Greenville are friendly - as friendly as you'll find for a growing, mid-size metro - but some of the posts seem to incorrectly portray Greenville as a small town where everyone stops you on the street to chat or invites you to sit on their porch and drink lemonade. That simply isn't true. A friendly hello as you pass on the sidewalk or a casual comment while standing in line is as far as it's likely to go, based on my experience. That's a good amount of politeness, IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area