Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 06:11 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,273,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
Good thing there were cops everywhere downtown last night to help block off the roads for the cycling tournament: Police break up fights as teens crowd downtown | GreenvilleOnline.com | The Greenville News Where are the parents at? I would never let my kid if I had one go out downtown around that time of night.
commets are not fscts

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 08-30-2009 at 08:26 PM..

Old 08-30-2009, 06:24 PM

899 posts, read 2,277,080 times
I agree with what has been said here about this being an obvious and growing problem for downtown Greenville.

I was downtown at night a few Saturdays ago and I must have noticed for the first time that there was wall-to-wall people on Main St. at the Falls Park entrance, all along the Main St. bridge and up to around the Greenville News building. And it's really not just people walking: large groups of people--mostly teens I would say--standing on the sidewalk and blocking nearly all foot traffic. I got the feeling just looking around a lot of families and older folks and couples downtown to do whatever--all the people who are spending the money downtown--were a little uncomfortable. \

Now I've talked to a few co-workers who said they just don't go downtown to walk around anymore on the weekends--I don't blame them but it is sad.

Also I was surprised that there was virtually no lighting around the Falls Park entrance at Main and Camperdown--even though there were like hundreds of people crammed into that spot.

Old 08-30-2009, 08:07 PM

1,941 posts, read 4,449,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
Yeah, it's no big deal Greenville until the restaurants downtown start losing business because citizens like you and I don't want to go down there anymore due to the fights. It's supposed to be a family friendly area, not a place for "certain people" to hang out and start trouble. The last thing that needs to happen is for people to just put this behind them like it's no big deal. It's a very big deal and something needs to be done now.
Dude, Greenville's downtown is the center of a 600,000+ population MSA and a 1.2 million+ population CSA. It is one of the best downtowns you will find and people like going there, for good reason. If you want it to be a place where nothing bad ever happens, I'm sorry to tell you that you are living in a fantasy world. If quiet, family friendly, and immune to crime are your requirements, then you don't belong in a mid-size metro like Greenville. You belong in a small town. And even then, you cannot guarantee that problems never happen.

The great thing about Greenville - and especially its downtown - is that it is a place for everyone. People feel welcome there. That is almost always a positive thing, but the flip side of its accessibility is that people who aren't always on their best behavior are allowed there too. This is the case in any city in America. It's generally very safe, but occasionally things happen. Aside from blocking off downtown and only letting people of a certain appearance enter, how do you propose city leaders attempt to prevent this problem?!?

None of us want fights or crime, but some of you are acting like this happens on a regular basis. If this were happening both nights every weekend, I would be concerned. But these events are rare. Police are out, and they respond when things happen. They can't be expected to prevent every possible fight or crime. If you do expect that of them, then you're being ridiculous.

Old 08-30-2009, 09:03 PM

11,689 posts, read 24,651,337 times
Nevermind. Ignore this post.

Old 08-31-2009, 06:13 AM

347 posts, read 976,381 times
Thank you Greenville, the voice of reason!

Old 08-31-2009, 08:05 AM

134 posts, read 261,345 times
They are kids. It's not big deal! Kids will be kids.

Old 08-31-2009, 09:07 AM

1,016 posts, read 2,126,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ga2email View Post
They are kids. It's not big deal! Kids will be kids.
These are not kids. They are thugs. They are there to intimidate you. They are using obsence language. They are blocking the sidewalks. They are fighting.

Old 08-31-2009, 10:35 AM

I agree with ruvidu. They are there to start trouble and nothing more. Tell them to stay home. Hit these thugs in the wallet. Give them a $500 ticket minimum for fighting. Yeah, Greenville it's not a very big deal...oh wait: Mayor Knox White says Greenville may expand teen curfew area | GreenvilleOnline.com | The Greenville News It's not a very big deal until an innocent bystander get hurts. It's not a very big deal until restaurants start to lose business and have to close their doors. Yeah, it's not a very big deal at all. You should see some of the stuff these thugs yell at women walking down Main Street on Saturday night. It truly is disgusting. How do you think business visitors from out of town looking to expand here think when they see that?

Last edited by g-man430; 08-31-2009 at 10:43 AM..

Old 08-31-2009, 10:58 AM

134 posts, read 261,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruvidu View Post
These are not kids. They are thugs. They are there to intimidate you. They are using obsence language. They are blocking the sidewalks. They are fighting.
Did they intimidate you?

Old 08-31-2009, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga2email View Post
Did they intimidate you?
Not me specifically, but there were other people I saw them intimidate. I was downtown Saturday night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area