Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 10:16 PM

16 posts, read 34,824 times

Advertisements

We just purchased our first new vehicle since moving to SC. The tag was $499.87!

The vehicle is a 2009 Toyota 4Runner.

I would also warn you that it will take approximately a day to transfer your tags.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2009, 09:13 AM

1,556 posts, read 3,533,430 times
The way I see it no matter how low the cost of living is....... one way or the other there is no escape from some kind of tax. They have to get the money to pay for things from someplace!

However charging the person with the new car more vehicle tax in my opinion is like penalizing that person because they are lucky enough to be able to afford a new car.

Old 08-31-2009, 09:25 AM

1,016 posts, read 2,127,113 times
That is the reason I lot of us would like to see a county sales tax instead of a property tax. That way even the visitors to our area could chip in a little.

Old 08-31-2009, 11:32 AM

199 posts, read 490,739 times
Default I agree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkBorn View Post

However charging the person with the new car more vehicle tax in my opinion is like penalizing that person because they are lucky enough to be able to afford a new car.
I couldn't agree with you more. Why tax the rich to give to (or take less from) the poor? That's not fair! Why do only 20% of the people in this country pay 90% of the tax revenues? It's just not right.

It's not luck that got you the new car, it's hard work and proper savings. Why do we punish that in this country? Why didn't people who make over $75k get a stimulus check? They pay all the taxes, yet didn't get a dime. Next thing you know, you'll have to pay for everyone's healthcare too!

I must say, I had no idea you had such conservative values!

Old 08-31-2009, 12:40 PM

5,518 posts, read 15,289,849 times
I agree. Our federal government is eating up the natural incentive to become wealthy and independent, while providing more incentive to remain poor and dependent. I don't mind paying vehicle property tax as a responsible owner who drives on the state's roads and bridges, but losing hard-earned money to income tax simply because of my decision to be a productive citizen is quite disheartening.

Old 08-31-2009, 10:15 PM

227 posts, read 792,089 times
It costs me more in SC than MI where I'm from. I learned this year that you pretty much rent the plate. Every 2 years you'll be charged for the plate, so this year I got to pay an extra $40 for my property tax. I drive a 2000 Chevy S10 pickup with 133k on it. $44. I needed to be over 145k to get any off of that. Total $84. I drove a 2005 Dodge Neon, last year cost $145. It had around 50k on it.

Old 08-31-2009, 11:08 PM

2,067 posts, read 5,944,424 times
I also moved from MI, and was pleased to find that my insurance was much cheaper here than in MI. In the end, it is probably a wash.

Old 09-01-2009, 09:20 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,753,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT Man View Post
I couldn't agree with you more. Why tax the rich to give to (or take less from) the poor? That's not fair! Why do only 20% of the people in this country pay 90% of the tax revenues? It's just not right.
You know what else isn't right? The top 20% control 93% of the financial wealth (which is defined as net worth minus net equity in owner-occupied housing) in this country. That leaves 7% of the wealth for 80% of the people. An awful lot of that income that is taxed is not "earned" by hard work and grit, but by returns on existing wealth. A progressive tax system is what keeps us from drifting towards feudalism where the top .1% control the rest of us. It's fair and right. Our tax code favors the wealthy more than any other modern country in the world. You can still work hard in this country and get ahead and become wealthy, and a very modest tax hike (going to back to what Reagan reduced the rate to) on the wealthiest Americans won't negatively effect you or me one bit.

Having said all that, the vehicle property tax here seems too high for new cars to me. Even though I've never bought a new car and never will, I realize new car sales are a decent part of a local economy. I also have no children, yet pay taxes for schools. I think that's right, as I don't want a bunch more ignoramuses than there currently are in this country.

Old 09-01-2009, 10:22 AM

199 posts, read 490,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
You know what else isn't right? The top 20% control 93% of the financial wealth (which is defined as net worth minus net equity in owner-occupied housing) in this country. That leaves 7% of the wealth for 80% of the people. An awful lot of that income that is taxed is not "earned" by hard work and grit, but by returns on existing wealth. A progressive tax system is what keeps us from drifting towards feudalism where the top .1% control the rest of us. It's fair and right. Our tax code favors the wealthy more than any other modern country in the world. You can still work hard in this country and get ahead and become wealthy, and a very modest tax hike (going to back to what Reagan reduced the rate to) on the wealthiest Americans won't negatively effect you or me one bit.

Having said all that, the vehicle property tax here seems too high for new cars to me. Even though I've never bought a new car and never will, I realize new car sales are a decent part of a local economy. I also have no children, yet pay taxes for schools. I think that's right, as I don't want a bunch more ignoramuses than there currently are in this country.
You are bouncing between Wealth and Income. Two different things. There are very few rich people that I know that sit around waiting to see what Oprah will say next. They are working hard everyday earning their money. Protecting your nest egg takes work and the returns do not just appear every year.

I thought free speach, open elections, and the right to bear arms kept us from a Feudal System? It's not the rich coming after my money, it's the Government!

Table 6: Distribution of income in the United States, 2003
IncomeTop 1 percent 17.0%
Next 19 percent 40.8%
Bottom 80 percent 42.2%

From Wolff (2007).

Old 09-01-2009, 10:24 AM

470 posts, read 593,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
I'm sure we will not pay nearly as much for homeowners insurance there ($3500 a year for a $175,000 home).
I would think that homeowners insurance on a $175,000 home would be more like $500 or $600.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area