Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 10:12 AM

1,556 posts, read 3,533,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapunzll View Post
We will have to agree to disagree on that. I grew up in the Detroit area and there was plenty of gossip. My guess is that you just didn't notice it yourself. People, especially women, tend to talk about other people.
The vibe in Detroit and NYC are totally different.......like apples to oranges. I was born in NYC and lived there all my life until relocating to SC a few years ago...........would have definitely noticed how much gossip went on. The gossip that goes on in SC was one of the first things that stood out to me after moving here. I remember thinking to myself one day "wow these people are nosey"! Which really surprises me, as much as people discuss church here one would think that being religious they would not engage in such behavior.

Moderator cut: tos violation

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 10-14-2009 at 07:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2009, 11:15 AM

2,067 posts, read 5,944,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkBorn View Post
The vibe in Detroit and NYC are totally different.......like apples to oranges. I was born in NYC and lived there all my life until relocating to SC a few years ago...........would have definitely noticed how much gossip went on. The gossip that goes on in SC was one of the first things that stood out to me after moving here. I remember thinking to myself one day "wow these people are nosey"! Which really surprises me, as much as people discuss church here one would think that being religious they would not engage in such behavior.

As far as comparing Detroit to NYC........there is no comparison.

State of Michigan = A population of a little over 10 million people.
Detroit City = A population of a little over 900,000

New York State = A population of a little over 19 million
New York City = A population of a little over 8 million

But as you said we will agree to disagree on that one.
When I was a kid, Detroit was the fifth largest city in the country. It is hardly that now with all the people leaving. That doesn't change the fact that when it was a very large city, people still gossiped. Gossip is something that goes on everywhere, small and large cities. If you have been able to ignore it, good for you, but I bet when your friends in NY get together, they talk about people who aren't there just as much as people in a small town. People are people.

Old 09-07-2009, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapunzll View Post
When I was a kid, Detroit was the fifth largest city in the country. It is hardly that now with all the people leaving. That doesn't change the fact that when it was a very large city, people still gossiped. Gossip is something that goes on everywhere, small and large cities. If you have been able to ignore it, good for you, but I bet when your friends in NY get together, they talk about people who aren't there just as much as people in a small town. People are people.
I have never been one to participate in gossip, nor would I want to be bothered on any level with petty, small minded people who devote all of their time to talking about people. It is a disgusting habit and says a lot about the person who does it. When I do go home (NYC) for visits with friends and family we are too busy discussing eachothers lives, careers, travel and other interesting things to waste our time sitting around gossiping about other peoples business.

The thing about SC is that it has a small population, a lot of people know eachother and as a result there is more to gossip about. Unlike NYC which is overcrowded, expensive, offers a lot more activities then a SC city of 60,000 people. Like I said the smaller the town the more gossip goes on. The phrase "small town gossip" came from somewhere and it sure did not get it's meaning from the big city!

Old 09-07-2009, 02:09 PM

9,491 posts, read 16,384,905 times
Quote:
I have never been one to participate in gossip, nor would I want to be bothered on any level with petty, small minded people who devote all of their time to talking about people. It is a disgusting habit and says a lot about the person who does it. When I do go home (NYC) for visits with friends and family we are too busy discussing eachothers lives, careers, travel and other interesting things to waste our time sitting around gossiping about other peoples business.

The thing about SC is that it has a small population, a lot of people know eachother and as a result there is more to gossip about. Unlike NYC which is overcrowded, expensive, offers a lot more activities then a SC city of 60,000 people. Like I said the smaller the town the more gossip goes on. The phrase "small town gossip" came from somewhere and it sure did not get it's meaning from the big city!
I think the phrase came about even before Andy, Aunt Bee, Opie, Barney, and the rest of those wonderful characters lived in small town Mayberry.

Gossip hurts it doesn't help anyone, especially a newcomer to town when they find they are the victim of it. There is a huge difference when speaking of someone and just plain gossip. Im not sure much can be done about it. I personally don't care for it, and for the most part I can honestly say I don't engage in it. I work part time in a place where it is prevelent and I find it nauseating.

I plan on visiting the Greenville area, Charleston and Knoxville area this spring. It will be my time to choose my area to retire to. Greenville has been on my on and off list for a time now.

I have been looking for a East Coast location, I am from Mass originally. I'd like to visit more often than I get to now from the West Coast. I have to admit some of the attraction is, I know others from the Northeast have been moving to the areas I will be visiting. That and the warmer climate and not as expensive. Though at times I am not so sure the tax structure seems in sync, with lower cost, other than property taxes perhaps. As far as Greensville goes. I particularly like what I see in pictures of the downtown, and the many trail that have been built. That has been a big draw for me all these trails and progressive downtown. It looks so clean and people friendly with all the shops, restaurants. I am impressed with the self contained city it seems to be with adequate Medical facilities and shopping. The access to other Metro's and the mountains. I am impressed it will not be the size of Atlanta or Charlotte at least in my lifetime. It is not the size of those cities, but I can get there for a visit easily and then get the hell out.

Some of the reasons I find Greenville on my on and off list is probably small town gossip. That and the judgemental unfriendliness that can come with that gossip. I hate to admit that, but it is probably a concern of mine. I have no desire to retire to Asheville NC because gay people feel they have to live there. I prefer to live in a community the size of Greenville, but not so overwhelming in its political views and alternative living as Asheville is.

So hopefully when I visit Greenville this will all come together. I will either like it or get it out of my system.

Old 09-07-2009, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I think the phrase came about even before Andy, Aunt Bee, Opie, Barney, and the rest of those wonderful characters lived in small town Mayberry.

Gossip hurts it doesn't help anyone, especially a newcomer to town when they find they are the victim of it. There is a huge difference when speaking of someone and just plain gossip. Im not sure much can be done about it. I personally don't care for it, and for the most part I can honestly say I don't engage in it. I work part time in a place where it is prevelent and I find it nauseating.

I plan on visiting the Greenville area, Charleston and Knoxville area this spring. It will be my time to choose my area to retire to. Greenville has been on my on and off list for a time now.

I have been looking for a East Coast location, I am from Mass originally. I'd like to visit more often than I get to now from the West Coast. I have to admit some of the attraction is, I know others from the Northeast have been moving to the areas I will be visiting. That and the warmer climate and not as expensive. Though at times I am not so sure the tax structure seems in sync, with lower cost, other than property taxes perhaps. As far as Greensville goes. I particularly like what I see in pictures of the downtown, and the many trail that have been built. That has been a big draw for me all these trails and progressive downtown. It looks so clean and people friendly with all the shops, restaurants. I am impressed with the self contained city it seems to be with adequate Medical facilities and shopping. The access to other Metro's and the mountains. I am impressed it will not be the size of Atlanta or Charlotte at least in my lifetime. It is not the size of those cities, but I can get there for a visit easily and then get the hell out.

Some of the reasons I find Greenville on my on and off list is probably small town gossip. That and the judgemental unfriendliness that can come with that gossip. I hate to admit that, but it is probably a concern of mine. I have no desire to retire to Asheville NC because gay people feel they have to live there. I prefer to live in a community the size of Greenville, but not so overwhelming in its political views and alternative living as Asheville is.

So hopefully when I visit Greenville this will all come together. I will either like it or get it out of my system.
Yeah the gossiping here has definitely left a bad taste in my mouth. Love friendly southern hospitality and the fact that people will say hello to a stranger........but that is where it ends, when the conversation takes a turn into prying into someones personal business, attending church or the yankee jokes that is when it has gone too far.

I remember when I first arrived in SC to start my new job there were people who knew who I was and that I was from NYC before we had even been introduced. That is office gossip at it's worst! I was working in Greenwood SC when I first arrived. When I decided to sell the home that I had in Aiken SC instead of purchasing a new home in Greenwood to be near the office, besides the fact that there is nothing to do in Greenwood the gossip was one of the things that made me change my mind. Just did not want to bump into the nosey busy bodys on the weekends while I was out in town shopping.

At the end of the day no place is perfect and not every place is for everyone. Greenville is a lovely city, with plenty of restaurants, shopping and activities and I hope you manage to come for a visit.

Old 09-14-2009, 08:53 AM

857 posts, read 4,868,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marianneburkhart View Post
My husband and I are considering moving to the Grenville area and want to know if the people welcome newcomers in general or not.

Getting back to the topic of this thread...
I moved from NY to Atlanta many years ago and found that as long as you don't bring an attitude of "This is the way we did things up north..." you will do fine.
I recently visited Greenville as a potential place to move to ( no longer liking atlanta) and found the residents to be exceptionally friendly.

Old 09-14-2009, 09:50 AM

4 posts, read 7,550 times
I moved to Liberty last month from the San Bernardino Mountains in Calif, my husband is from Six Mile and at 50, was ready to leave the chaos, insanity, fire evacuations and Calif education system out there to come home. My husband returned to Ca to finish some work projects and my son (12) and I stayed so I could get him in school at the start of the year. So far, no matter where we have gone everyone has been very gracious, helpful and welcoming. I have to agree with others that I believe it's in the attitude you present with that probably makes the difference. Meeting the neighbors has been a little difficult because we are out in the country on the Anderson side, but overall it's been a wonderful move.

Old 10-01-2009, 09:26 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,487,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post

Gossip is just human nature.....PERIOD. However, I can tell you that my partner & I have found the people here to immediately take you in and consider you "one of them". The people I work with (and have worked with) are like family. My mom (who's a REALLY Southern girl from Mississippi) has repeatedly commented on how friendly people are here, and the on good service we get in stores, restaurants, etc when she visits. Fear not!

Old 10-03-2009, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateBooster View Post
Gossip is just human nature.....PERIOD. However, I can tell you that my partner & I have found the people here to immediately take you in and consider you "one of them". The people I work with (and have worked with) are like family. My mom (who's a REALLY Southern girl from Mississippi) has repeatedly commented on how friendly people are here, and the on good service we get in stores, restaurants, etc when she visits. Fear not!

Thanks for the info. I am glad to hear that.

Old 10-03-2009, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Yeah the gossiping here has definitely left a bad taste in my mouth. Love friendly southern hospitality and the fact that people will say hello to a stranger........but that is where it ends, when the conversation takes a turn into prying into someones personal business, attending church or the yankee jokes that is when it has gone too far.

I remember when I first arrived in SC to start my new job there were people who knew who I was and that I was from NYC before we had even been introduced. That is office gossip at it's worst! I was working in Greenwood SC when I first arrived. When I decided to sell the home that I had in Aiken SC instead of purchasing a new home in Greenwood to be near the office, besides the fact that there is nothing to do in Greenwood the gossip was one of the things that made me change my mind. Just did not want to bump into the nosey busy bodys on the weekends while I was out in town shopping.

At the end of the day no place is perfect and not every place is for everyone. Greenville is a lovely city, with plenty of restaurants, shopping and activities and I hope you manage to come for a visit.

Thanks. No there is no perfect place, but there are definitely places that leave alot to be desired. I plan to visit in the spring. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area