Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 07:11 AM

4 posts, read 10,772 times

Advertisements

We are considering moving to the Greenville area in the next year or so and I was wondering if this area in general puts family first? One of the few things I will miss where we currently live ( a tiny little poor town in north Louisiana) is that everything literally shuts down if the kids have a program at school during the day. I don't expect Greenville to be that way but will I have to give a two weeks notice if I need time off to participate in an activity with my kids or do the schools schedule things at convenient times? Are there after school programs for working parents? Also, my thirteen year old is wondering if they offer football at the middle school level. From what we've researched we didn't seem to see any jr. high football. He's very athletic and likes to participate in multiple sports. If the schools don't offer these sports will he be able to play with the local YMCA? Thanks for any insight you can give us. We are leaving to visit the area in the morning and can't wait.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2009, 10:19 PM

1,941 posts, read 4,455,604 times
Greenville is extremely family friendly, especially for a metro of its size. It is not a small town like you are used to, so things certainly don't shut down if there is a school program. However, I bet most employers will allow you to occasionally attend an important school function if you let them know ahead of time. This obviously depends on your employer.

Virtually every middle school (what you call junior high) has a football team, as well as many other sports. The YMCA and local recreation departments also offer many competitive sports.

Have a great time in Greenville, and post here if you have any questions during your visit!

Old 09-08-2009, 08:04 AM

4 posts, read 10,772 times
We had a great visit! I saw that it is very family oriented. Everywhere we went there were people with their kids. I loved Greenville but my dh was not as enthusiastic as I was. He's an electrician and he didn't see many industrial plants in the area for job opportunities. There was a lot of new construction going on but he does not want to work construction again. We stopped and spent the night with some friends in Cartersville,GA the last night of our trip and he liked it better because there are several carpet factories, power plants, etc. One of the things that amazed me about Greenville was that although it was a pretty large city, traffic seemed to flow very smoothly. Is it always like that or was that just because it was the weekend? It would definately be easier for us to move to Cartersville because we already have close friends there but I'm still leaning towards Greenville. Anyone got any advice that will help me plead my case with dh?

Old 09-08-2009, 11:45 AM

470 posts, read 593,837 times
In Greenville / Spartanburg there is BMW and all the plants that go with it, I don't know how many but it's alot! And then there's G.E., Michelin, 3M, Bosch, Cryovac, Honeywell, Bausch and Lomb, and many many more

Old 09-08-2009, 12:30 PM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,755,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by readytorun View Post
We had a great visit! I saw that it is very family oriented. Everywhere we went there were people with their kids. I loved Greenville but my dh was not as enthusiastic as I was. He's an electrician and he didn't see many industrial plants in the area for job opportunities. There was a lot of new construction going on but he does not want to work construction again. We stopped and spent the night with some friends in Cartersville,GA the last night of our trip and he liked it better because there are several carpet factories, power plants, etc. One of the things that amazed me about Greenville was that although it was a pretty large city, traffic seemed to flow very smoothly. Is it always like that or was that just because it was the weekend? It would definately be easier for us to move to Cartersville because we already have close friends there but I'm still leaning towards Greenville. Anyone got any advice that will help me plead my case with dh?
There's no traffic because the economy stinks and lots of people (like myself) who used to be on the road going to work are no longer on the road going to work.

I-85 used to have a traffic jam between Pelham Rd and 385 every morning and afternoon. Not any more.

Old 09-08-2009, 02:07 PM

1,941 posts, read 4,455,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS1 View Post
There's no traffic because the economy stinks and lots of people (like myself) who used to be on the road going to work are no longer on the road going to work.

I-85 used to have a traffic jam between Pelham Rd and 385 every morning and afternoon. Not any more.
There are still traffic jams at the usual spots, although traffic moves well overall (especially compared to the really large cities). Although unemployment is up around the country, most people still work and there are plenty of people out and about doing things. Based on your post, you would think that the roads are bare. Tell us, does tumbleweed blow across the deserted roads too?

By the way, I thought you moved away from Greenville and now live in Texas?!?

Old 09-08-2009, 04:20 PM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,755,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenville View Post
There are still traffic jams at the usual spots, although traffic moves well overall (especially compared to the really large cities). Although unemployment is up around the country, most people still work and there are plenty of people out and about doing things. Based on your post, you would think that the roads are bare. Tell us, does tumbleweed blow across the deserted roads too?

By the way, I thought you moved away from Greenville and now live in Texas?!?
I still have connections in Greenville. In fact I was there for Labor Day weekend.

I didn't say there is no traffic at all, just no traffic jams. It doesn't take a whole lot of extra cars to turn a 60 MPH highway full of cars into a 30 MPH highway full of cars.

Old 09-08-2009, 06:50 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,821,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS1 View Post
\ just no traffic jams.
Wooohooo!!!!!!!!!!!
Who wants traffic jams????? One of the excellent qualities about Greenville.....no traffic jams!

Old 09-09-2009, 05:35 PM

1,556 posts, read 3,538,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by readytorun View Post
Brought my home in Greenville because I figured that if I ever found myself without a job there are companys like Michelin, BMW etc. located here so I should have no problem finding a new job........well the if happened to me when I found myself laid off. Quickly learned that it is not easy finding work in Greenville (before the recession, during the recession and will be the same after the recession) and when work is found the pay is usually ridiculously low. As things stand right now we have had a couple of job fairs and a lot of people showed up to apply for minimum wage jobs.......not a good sign. Just because we have some companys located here does not mean that it is easy getting a job in those companys! If you and your partner were retired and not having to worry about finding work then I would say Greenville is the perfect fit.

My advice would be to follow your partners intuition and go where they feel strongly about finding work in their field. You can always come for visits to Greenville.

Old 09-09-2009, 06:08 PM

9,471 posts, read 9,333,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkBorn View Post
My advice would be to follow your partners intuition and go where they feel strongly about finding work in their field. You can always come for visits to Greenville.
Good advice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area