U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 08:13 AM

4,856 posts, read 6,290,343 times

Advertisements

I've been searching for a home and have been concentrating my search in Greer and Taylors but haven't been successful in finding what I want. I thought about widening my search a bit. I want to be north of Wade Hampton and Pleasantburg - closer to the NC line, but not too far away from the shopping in WH and PB roads. I like more of the country feel than the city life.

I was at the Tomato Vine and thought the area off Poinsett/276 looked nice and asked someone what the area was considered and she said "The Furman Area" but when I look at the areas in regard to how realtors list properties, it shows area 61 being the Berea area.

Can anyone tell me about this area, I know there's a Publix in the area, and it's not far from the Walmart on 276, but other than that I really don't know much about what's in the area or the population.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've searched, but haven't found much mentioned other than part of this area is called "Little Burrito?" I know on my trips down White Horse, it's very Hispanic, but farther north, in the area I'm mentioning it doesn't seem to be the same.

Last, is living near Furman bad as far as traffic in/out and around the university?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2009, 05:47 PM

511 posts, read 1,341,006 times
Default near Furman

Have you gone to Journal Homes.com and looked at neighborhoods. There is a subdivision called Glastonbury Village that is not far from the Wal-Mart on hwy. 25 and has a pretty country feel. Yoy may also want to search area 12 on the realtors website. It is listed as Travelers Rest. You may want to search Summitbluff as well. I could help a little more if I knew your price range. Carrilion is nice but in the 300's. if I am not mistaken.

Old 09-07-2009, 08:00 PM

192 posts, read 540,933 times
I live in Carilion out by Furman - homes here start right around 300k. Not sure what your budget it is but this is a beautiful subdivision. To me the Furman area is the prettiest part of Greenville. It has a rural feel but you are only about 10 - 12 minutes from Main Street (we timed it). You are also close to the Mountains. I've never been to Berea but know that it is near here. Not sure why anyone would go there. In terms of things near here, we go to Publix and Walmart whenever we need to go shopping. As I said, you are close to Main Street, the cherrydale area, and only 20 minutes from Haywood / Woodruff Road. You also dont have the traffic that you do out there or the cheap ugly strip mall vibe that Woodruff Road has. Anyway, we love it here. Check it out.

Old 09-07-2009, 08:43 PM

Thank you both for replying.

I've seen Glastonbury - too cookie cutter for me. I don't want to live in a subdivision with a HOA fee, or if there's a fee, it has to be minimal - I've seen too many increase ridiculously and too many assessments happen, it's not for me.

I've never heard of Summitbluff - will check it out.

Cabin, I looked up Carillion, looks like a nice area, but definitely above my means. I saw a few homes off Duncan Chapel Rd, close to the Publix -haven't made an appt to see one yet though. It seems to be close to where you are.

So, is this area called The Berea area or Furman area- I'm confused. When I look up the zip it says Berea area, but it could be mis-information posted. I'm going to head down there tomorrow and look around the area a bit more to get a better feel of the nieghborhood and surrounding areas. Hoping to get to view one of the homes if we can get an appt.

How's the traffic around Furman? Anything else about this area that would be good to know, whether it be a pro or a con? Closest good hospital?

Thanks again for the replies, the more info I get the better decisions I can make.

Keep them coming!

Old 09-08-2009, 04:29 AM

41 posts, read 122,750 times
Furman is half way between Berea and Travelers Rest, so you'll want to search both areas. To me, Furman is the beginning of the rural upstate, getting more rural as you head north. I've never noticed much traffic around Furman.

There are two major hospitals downtown, on the opposite side of Greenville, but not very far. GHS has a branch in Travelers Rest, but I'm not sure how well-equipped it is.

Your best bet is to visit the areas you are interested in, and look around carefully. In rural areas, you can a beautiful subdivision right next to a run-down mobile home park, so make sure you explore the roads around a potential house before you commit.

Old 09-08-2009, 08:27 PM

Looked around the area today, quite a few homes up for sale. As we drove west, you could see the homes, one by one go down not only in value, but also in appearance.

The area by county standards is considered Berea. I didn't venture too far away from the area and probably wouldn't head in that direction all that much.

I had the opportunity to speak to two of the closet neighbors, both extremely nice people who in all appearances would seem to be nice neighbors. Both had great things to say about the area.

I'm supposed to see the house tomorrow, and from there, will see if it will go any farther.

I did check the area crimes, a few things, burglary, car theft, nothing like murder that I could find. Will call sherrifs dept for more details if I decide to put in an offer.

Did take a ride through a part of Furman Univ. - absolutely GORGEOUS! Kids are lucky to be going to school is such beautiful surroundings!!!

I welcome any and all comments you may have.

Any good off beat stores you can recommend not too far away?? Nothing like chain stores, those are a dime a dozen.

THANKS!!!!

Old 09-09-2009, 03:53 PM

3,856 posts, read 6,620,324 times
Definitely check out downtown Travelers Rest, just north of Furman. Take Hwy 276 when it splits with Hwy 25. There's a neat hardware store - Williams - that also has a good cafe. Also Trillium Art Gallery (it's a co-op, I believe). Also Sunrift Outdoor Sports. The upper end of the Swamp Rabbit Trail terminates on the north end of Travelers Rest. You've got all the usual stripmall and big box retail on Hwy 25, but downtown Travelers Rest has character.

There's a farmers market on each first Saturday behind Sunrift.

Old 09-13-2009, 05:27 PM

The other house, we finally found out it had a contract on it, so that one is out of the question, so we continue to look.

Can anyone uggest an area to look in that's around Furman that's nice? North of Cherrydale would be one of the good areas, somewhere right around Furman or just north of there?

Thanks!

Old 09-16-2009, 08:49 AM

3 posts, read 5,272 times
I've lived around the Furman area my entire life and I recently purchased my first home two miles away from Furman.

Just like any other area in any other town (including other areas of Greenville) there are areas that you probably want to stay away from if you have the money to do so. That sounds harsh and stereotypical but true. Spotty areas include Lily St and surrounding areas of that street between White Horse Road/W. Parker Rd/Cedar Lane Rd. Also there is an area off of W. Blue Ridge (253) and Cedar Lane that is pretty sketchy. Looks are clearly not deceiving I'll tell you that. The more you go out of Berea proper (basically going North and getting more and more away from the Berea area near downtown the better the areas and neighborhoods).

Try houses off of Old Buncombe Road specifically right at Furman. You mention the Tomatoe Vine - I go there every weekend to get my fresh veggies and fruit, btw. Leave out of the Tomatoe Vine going North (turn right). The more you go up Old Buncombe the better the area. An awesome subdivision not even half a mile up the road is called 'Northwood Hills'. Amazing homes for a pretty good price (although some are quite high - you may also have to pay HOA fees I am not sure). A lot of the well established areas that have been there a while usually have low turnover in the real estate market, though.

Also check out areas off of State Park Road near Cherrydale. Again, the more north the better the areas.

And the traffic and congestion is like night and day compared to the Eastside/Southside of Greenville. White Horse Road can be a you know what at points in the day but comparing it to Woodruff Road....HAHA!

Old 09-16-2009, 09:34 AM

Appreciate the reply. Yes, I know the Northwood Hills area - we drove through it, very nice homes, a bit over my price range though.

I agree, the farther north you go the better the area, so it seems.

I'm actually tired of looking - I'm sort of looking forward to heading home and not returning til spring, though I'll keep looking on line. I'm sure, with my luck, as soon as I leave my dream home will come on the market!

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area