Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 10:34 AM

347 posts, read 976,289 times

Advertisements

I think it's scary because we have no resistance to it, and once students and co-workers start getting it, it's going to spread fast. Not everybody can/will go to a doctor when they get flu symptoms.

Last edited by MichelleEllyn; 09-10-2009 at 10:48 AM.. Reason: misspelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2009, 11:19 AM

2,261 posts, read 5,815,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleEllyn View Post
I think it's scary because we have no resistance to it, and once students and co-workers start getting it, it's going to spread fast. Not everybody can/will go to a doctor when they get flu symptoms.
Actually everybody can, its just a matter of paying for it. many people don't have resistance to the normal flu, that is why they give flu shots. I for one will schedule a doctors visit immediately if I start showing any flu like symptoms, and if you don't, well I suppose your priorities are a bit skewed.

Old 09-10-2009, 11:35 AM

1,939 posts, read 2,728,570 times
This is much to do about nothing. It's just the flu. People get some sort of flu every year. I cannot figure out what all of the fuss is about.

Old 09-10-2009, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by furmanpals View Post
This is much to do about nothing. It's just the flu. People get some sort of flu every year. I cannot figure out what all of the fuss is about.
thank you! my sentiments exactly!

Old 09-10-2009, 01:46 PM

6,888 posts, read 22,426,019 times
First, if you suspect you have swine flu don't go running to your doctor's office. If you really have swine flu you are likely to infect every person you come into contact with and I believe the authorities have cautioned us about this. Call your doctor and they will advise you on next steps. If your flu is progressing normally without complications you are better off letting it run its course. When you have been fever free for 24 hours without medicine to lower fever you are no longer contagious.

I have heard second-hand that someone that works at Haywood Mall had swine flu several weeks ago that they were off work for about 10 days because of it.

Old 09-10-2009, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
First, if you suspect you have swine flu don't go running to your doctor's office. If you really have swine flu you are likely to infect every person you come into contact with and I believe the authorities have cautioned us about this. Call your doctor and they will advise you on next steps. If your flu is progressing normally without complications you are better off letting it run its course. When you have been fever free for 24 hours without medicine to lower fever you are no longer contagious.

I have heard second-hand that someone that works at Haywood Mall had swine flu several weeks ago that they were off work for about 10 days because of it.
this is exactly what i'm talking about, who doesn't call their doctor before going there? these are all things you would normally do if you had the flu, no? except the being out of work for 10 days, which is to be expected if it is as contagious as they say.

Old 09-15-2009, 08:56 PM

1 posts, read 1,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
Thanks. With one case in Mauldin and 15 in Taylors, doesn't look like much of a swine flu outbreak here yet. Not sure what the original poster meant.
My brothers girlfriend has it. We found out yesterday.

Old 09-15-2009, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoinnocent831 View Post
My brothers girlfriend has it. We found out yesterday.
where does she live?

Old 09-15-2009, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
When you have been fever free for 24 hours without medicine to lower fever you are no longer contagious.
The authorities are now considering that you are contagious far longer than stated above. Now it's got something to do with a cough ending but as far as I know right now they have not changed their recommendation.

Old 09-15-2009, 11:54 PM

1,941 posts, read 4,448,438 times
This H1N1 deal has been blown way out of proportion. Yes, it was new last year and not part of the vaccine. And yes, some people died from it. But as with the "regular" flu, most people will feel like crap but not be at risk of dying. Only the very young and very old tend to die from the flu, and the same is true for H1N1 ("swine flu"). If you have a normally functioning immune system, and happen to get H1N1, you will be sick but you won't die.

For what it's worth, I recently examined a patient in the hospital a few times, and I later found out that he has H1N1. I found out about four days after I had seen him, and have not gotten sick. That was two weeks ago, so I'm in the clear since the incubation period is about 4-5 days.

Seriously, people should just take normal precautions. Wash your hands well, keep your hands away from your nose and mouth, cover your mouth with your elbow when you cough and sneeze, etc. You'll minimize your chances of getting sick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area