Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 04:46 AM

262 posts, read 821,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenville View Post
This H1N1 deal has been blown way out of proportion. Yes, it was new last year and not part of the vaccine. And yes, some people died from it. But as with the "regular" flu, most people will feel like crap but not be at risk of dying. Only the very young and very old tend to die from the flu, and the same is true for H1N1 ("swine flu"). If you have a normally functioning immune system, and happen to get H1N1, you will be sick but you won't die.

For what it's worth, I recently examined a patient in the hospital a few times, and I later found out that he has H1N1. I found out about four days after I had seen him, and have not gotten sick. That was two weeks ago, so I'm in the clear since the incubation period is about 4-5 days.

Seriously, people should just take normal precautions. Wash your hands well, keep your hands away from your nose and mouth, cover your mouth with your elbow when you cough and sneeze, etc. You'll minimize your chances of getting sick.
Thanks for this message. My son got a note home saying a probably case in their school. My main concern is I have a lowered immune system (auto immune). It is nice to hear so I say a more positive that just because your near someone does not mean you will get it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2009, 03:14 PM

1 posts, read 1,585 times
My son was diagnosed through rapid testing this morning at Eastside Pediatrics and it is 100% positive for Influenza Type A (Swine). I have all the symptoms as well, so I have it too. There is nothing they do for it. You ride it out. Unless you get to the doctor within 24 hours of the ONSET of symptoms then you ride it out. My neighbor and daughter have it as well. Sure other kids at Sevier Middle have it... No big deal...Doc said you just need to watch for any other secondary complications....

Old 09-17-2009, 03:19 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,802,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenville View Post

Seriously, people should just take normal precautions. Wash your hands well, keep your hands away from your nose and mouth, cover your mouth with your elbow when you cough and sneeze, etc. You'll minimize your chances of getting sick.

Thanks for all the info!

However, on your tips, since I live in Greenville, SC everyone knows I cough without covering my mouth.....wipe my nose on my sleeve......run around barefoot.....burp at the table......and have no teeth to help stop the germs as they exit my mouth. Any hints for us Greenville hillbillies????

Old 09-17-2009, 05:15 PM

6,888 posts, read 22,426,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
Thanks for all the info!

However, on your tips, since I live in Greenville, SC everyone knows I cough without covering my mouth.....wipe my nose on my sleeve......run around barefoot.....burp at the table......and have no teeth to help stop the germs as they exit my mouth. Any hints for us Greenville hillbillies????
stay home

Old 09-17-2009, 06:26 PM

1,941 posts, read 4,448,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
Thanks for all the info!

You are what we call one of them "classy folk" for wiping your nose on your sleeve! Me and my ma and paw wipe our noses on sofa cushions, and sometimes on our dogs if we don't have no hanky handy. Don't worry about going barefoot - it toughens yer feet and makes you a man!

Old 09-17-2009, 06:47 PM

642 posts, read 2,080,921 times
hot dang you do that wid yer dog too. It just makes the coat so shinny and the extra buggers keep them warm in the winter :-D

Old 09-17-2009, 08:46 PM

16 posts, read 34,817 times
My wife just found out today that she's got it. They said the testing is so far behind that they aren't even running them. Basically if you have Type A Flu they tell you that you have it. She's off for the next seven days.

Old 09-18-2009, 12:05 PM

44 posts, read 102,950 times
As of Wednesday this week GHS had 70 confirmed cases at their hospitals.

Old 09-18-2009, 12:36 PM

6,888 posts, read 22,426,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS2071 View Post
She's off for the next seven days.
This really isn't a laughing matter to someone who does not receive paid sick time at their job. Please take the comedy out of this thread.

Old 09-18-2009, 01:32 PM

2,261 posts, read 5,815,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
This really isn't a laughing matter to someone who does not receive paid sick time at their job. Please take the comedy out of this thread.
that didn't seem like comedy to me, but anyway, whats wrong with trying to make this thread a bit more amusing? I think its better than freaking out about it, I mean 50% of the population is supposed to get this flu, so we might as well get it over with and try to make the best of it right? might not be funny to you but I don't think its offensive either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area