Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 01:58 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,524,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoodlesKnowles View Post
that didn't seem like comedy to me, but anyway, whats wrong with trying to make this thread a bit more amusing? I think its better than freaking out about it, I mean 50% of the population is supposed to get this flu, so we might as well get it over with and try to make the best of it right? might not be funny to you but I don't think its offensive either.
I'm not freaking out about it, noodlesKnowles, but I will be if the only paycheck in this family is cut by an entire week because of this sickness. If you get this will you get paid for the entire time you miss from work? If so, you are lucky; if not I guess it won't seem funny to you at that point either. This is not good for our economy right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2009, 02:46 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,859,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoodlesKnowles View Post
that didn't seem like comedy to me, but anyway, whats wrong with trying to make this thread a bit more amusing? I think its better than freaking out about it, I mean 50% of the population is supposed to get this flu, so we might as well get it over with and try to make the best of it right? might not be funny to you but I don't think its offensive either.
I agree about comedy, which is why I tried to inject a few post up.

As I fly weekly with my job, I already know I will get this flu. The question is not if, but when. You have to laugh.

Old 09-18-2009, 03:48 PM

16 posts, read 34,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
This really isn't a laughing matter to someone who does not receive paid sick time at their job. Please take the comedy out of this thread.

Wow talk about slamming me myrc.

Just as an FYI, she's actually off the next 6 days as her regular off days. Never did I say it was paid or unpaid sick time. Be careful reading too much in to what is written.

Old 09-18-2009, 07:19 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,524,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS2071 View Post
Wow talk about slamming me myrc.
Slamming you? really? If and when my husband gets this flu he will not get paid sick time. How the **** is that slamming you JS? Maybe you read too much into my post.

Old 09-19-2009, 07:48 AM

2,261 posts, read 5,841,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
I'm not freaking out about it, noodlesKnowles, but I will be if the only paycheck in this family is cut by an entire week because of this sickness. If you get this will you get paid for the entire time you miss from work? If so, you are lucky; if not I guess it won't seem funny to you at that point either. This is not good for our economy right now.
like I said, not funny to you obviously,funny to others. and no, I don't get paid if I miss work, and yet I'm still smiling.

Old 09-19-2009, 08:05 AM

347 posts, read 980,298 times
My two cents:
A lot of people these days can't afford to drop a $100 for a doctor's visit every time they get a fever (or take a whole day off to wait in line at the clinic).
A lot of people these days live paycheck to paycheck, and one week's pay is the difference between having rent paid or late, having enough groceries for their family, etc.
So, it's not something to smile about for them.

Of course, there's no point in living in fear or going overboard freaking out about this, but I think some people on this board might have never seen things from a "less privileged" perspective.

Old 09-19-2009, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleEllyn View Post
My two cents:
A lot of people these days can't afford to drop a $100 for a doctor's visit every time they get a fever (or take a whole day off to wait in line at the clinic).
A lot of people these days live paycheck to paycheck, and one week's pay is the difference between having rent paid or late, having enough groceries for their family, etc.
So, it's not something to smile about for them.

Of course, there's no point in living in fear or going overboard freaking out about this, but I think some people on this board might have never seen things from a "less privileged" perspective.
I live paycheck to paycheck, and if I get the flu I'll probably fail at least one class, not to mention miss a week of work. and I don't live with my parents and I'm not the least bit wealthy, but I pay a boatload for health insurance because its necessary. I just understand why it makes more sense to shrug it off and smile than to get angry because someone is making a joke.

Old 09-19-2009, 08:29 AM

Not to be rude, please don't take this the wrong way, but, do you have a family to support?

Old 09-19-2009, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleEllyn View Post
Not to be rude, please don't take this the wrong way, but, do you have a family to support?
I am married, and my wife and I have chosen not to have children at this point in our lives, which is irrelevant to the conversation honestly.

Old 09-19-2009, 10:16 AM

Not really. Food, shelter, and available money have a whole different meaning when you have children to provide for.

But now I'm getting off on a tangent with this silly little debate, so, yeah, how 'bout that swine flu?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area