Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 03:14 AM

3,046 posts, read 6,258,138 times

Advertisements

That's right, they are extremely stupid! Why do I say that? Because the officer Moderator cut: flaming had my truck stolen (towed- same difference to me) from a friend who was driving it because it did not have a license plate on the rear. DUH DUM@** IT'S ON THE FRONT BYUMPER WHERE THE STATE OF MISSOURI REQUIRES ME TO HAVE IT! All 18,000 lb and up plates in Missouri are to be mounted on the front bumper, but this idiot of idiots with a gun and badge ( no doubt on a power trip in his head) had the truck towed because the license plate wasn'tt on the rear bumper. Sorry South Carolinians, your police in that state is about the dumbest power hungry fools ever!!!

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 09-15-2009 at 10:39 AM..

Old 09-15-2009, 04:33 AM

275 posts, read 1,756,188 times
Default More Info Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12GO View Post
That's right, they are extremely stupid! Why do I say that? Because the officer Powell had my truck stolen (towed- same difference to me) from a friend who was driving it because it did not have a license plate on the rear. DUH DUM@** IT'S ON THE FRONT BYUMPER WHERE THE STATE OF MISSOURI REQUIRES ME TO HAVE IT! All 18,000 lb and up plates in Missouri are to be mounted on the front bumper, but this idiot of idiots with a gun and badge ( no doubt on a power trip in his head) had the truck towed because the license plate wasn'tt on the rear bumper. Sorry South Carolinians, your police in that state is about the dumbest power hungry fools ever!!!
So, very interesting, but a bit more info would be helpful.
--Were you with your friend when he was driving the truck?
--How long had the truck been in SC?
--Why was the truck in SC?
--Was your friend ticketed for anything else? If so, what?
--Was it the Spartanburg PD or the Highway Patrol?
--When did this happen and where (highway, interstate, in the city, etc.)?

Old 09-15-2009, 04:52 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,508,433 times
I have been driving for almost 40 years and have NEVER heard of or seen a vehicle that did not have plates on the back [unless it was "lost plate" etc. Some states require front AND back but have never heard about them NOT being on the back.

If Missouri does not require rear plates, THEY are the ones who are extremely stupid as the police can look up that information when they pull a vehicle over to see if it is stolen or whatever. Did you friend hae a copy of the law? I would expect that to be a regular problem for MO truckers.

Old 09-15-2009, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
I have been driving for almost 40 years and have NEVER heard of or seen a vehicle that did not have plates on the back [unless it was "lost plate" etc. Some states require front AND back but have never heard about them NOT being on the back.

If Missouri does not require rear plates, THEY are the ones who are extremely stupid as the police can look up that information when they pull a vehicle over to see if it is stolen or whatever. Did you friend hae a copy of the law? I would expect that to be a regular problem for MO truckers.

The truck is licensed for 18,000 LBS. The reason the plate is required to be on the front and not the back is because most trucks at that weight license will be pulling a trailer. And with a trailer, the truck's license is hidden, so Missouri following federal guide lines for heavy duty trucks made the law to clearly state the license "must be" mounted on the front in clear view at all times. Most the time my truck is hooked to either a 28 ft enclosed tag trailer or a gooseneck trailer.
Personaly, I think it's seriously stupid to require a 1 ton+ truck should have a rear mounted license plate.
I just got done going thru online the law and shown it to a county officer. HE personally agreed it made more sense for a truck that size to have the plate on front.

Old 09-15-2009, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjames View Post
So, very interesting, but a bit more info would be helpful.
--Were you with your friend when he was driving the truck?
--How long had the truck been in SC?
--Why was the truck in SC?
--Was your friend ticketed for anything else? If so, what?
--Was it the Spartanburg PD or the Highway Patrol?
--When did this happen and where (highway, interstate, in the city, etc.)?

in spartanburg. I'm here visting. I can't wait to leave this backward state now. I was not with my friend. No ticket for anything else, at least that I know of at this time. Yes, this truck is also my daily driver. I will never go back to small cars for daily transportation as they simply are not safe. As for exact roads or street, I don't know them well enough to know.

Old 09-15-2009, 07:41 AM

Why don't they just do both? A lot of time something designed TO tow is NOT towing as is demonstrated by your post. I would sure like to be able to read the tag number before I pulled it over if I was an officer. Why do you think it is stupid?

As far as your insulting our "backward" state. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Old 09-15-2009, 08:06 AM

275 posts, read 1,756,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12GO View Post
in spartanburg. I'm here visting. I can't wait to leave this backward state now. I was not with my friend. No ticket for anything else, at least that I know of at this time. Yes, this truck is also my daily driver. I will never go back to small cars for daily transportation as they simply are not safe. As for exact roads or street, I don't know them well enough to know.
Well, I have a hard time believing a cop went through the effort of having your truck towed solely for this reason. I think you need to dig deeper and harder with your friend about what actually occurred.

I did check the Missouri DMV's website and they do require the plate on the front of heavier trucks and they also state in their FAQ section they will no longer issue 2 plates for those who want a plate on the rear as well. I think this is a rather strange thing for your state to do.

As far as the "backward state" comment, its not true and refer you back to grannynancy's comment.

Old 09-15-2009, 08:39 AM

The more I do think about it - what a strange law. You figure that every traffic stop is a potential "situation" and here is a vehicle with no tag on the back, which is highly uncommon here.

If I were a police officer, the first thing in my mind might be "stolen vehicle" which could crank up the adrenaline a bit.

Now, if the driver of the vehicle was not aware of the law, did not have the requisite documentation because it was not their vehicle [what about registration and insurance?] and did not have a copy of the law with them to show the officer, I am not sure how the next steps would have transpired.

I would think a lot of it would be how your friend reacted. I have never had any problems with "the law" but I always treat them with respect and do what they ask.

Old 09-15-2009, 08:48 AM

2,067 posts, read 5,942,655 times
As they say........... don't let the door hit you in the a** on the way out!

Buh bye!

Old 09-15-2009, 10:33 AM

6,888 posts, read 22,422,479 times
I don't get it either...semi's have plates on the back and the same argument could be said for them as well. I have to agree that not having one on the back of a vehicle could be a potential problem for law enforcement trying to stop a vehicle but I also don't think one plate per vehicle is enough on any vehicle with 4 or more wheels. That being said, if your vehicle was licensed properly for the state it is registered in our state law states that is enough to operate said vehicle on our roads.

OP, you need to make sure your buddy is telling you the whole story and if he is I think the jurisdiction involved owes you a free tow and storage if any were involved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area