Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 11:11 AM

25 posts, read 63,980 times

Advertisements

I wish NYB had done some research on how crappy SC is. Then she wouldn't have moved here and we wouldn't have to read a "SC Sux" post in every thread about SC. No offense NYB, it just gets a little old.

Every location in the world has its good points and bad points.

If you think you will ever find utopia, you are on the wrong side of the grave.

I have lived all over the country, over 15 different cities. SC isn't perfect. For example, I still don't really know what my tax dollars are being spent on. It surely isn't education.

But I will say that some of the best people I have ever met in my life live here. And it's a beautiful place as well.

SC is ok by me.

Old 09-25-2009, 11:58 AM

1,556 posts, read 3,532,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dband22 View Post
I wish NYB had done some research on how crappy SC is. Then she wouldn't have moved here and we wouldn't have to read a "SC Sux" post in every thread about SC. No offense NYB, it just gets a little old.

Every location in the world has its good points and bad points.

If you think you will ever find utopia, you are on the wrong side of the grave.

I have lived all over the country, over 15 different cities. SC isn't perfect. For example, I still don't really know what my tax dollars are being spent on. It surely isn't education.

But I will say that some of the best people I have ever met in my life live here. And it's a beautiful place as well.

SC is ok by me.
Then you should have taken your own advice and did some research before you moved to Idaho and came on this forum complaining about that state! People who live in glass houses should not throw stones! By the way your post in the Idaho section made interesting reading.

Obviously living in 15 states you are NEVER happy anywhere you go.

Old 09-25-2009, 12:10 PM

25 posts, read 63,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkBorn View Post
Then you should have taken your own advice and did some research before you moved to Idaho and came on this forum complaining about that state! People who live in glass houses should not throw stones! By the way your post in the Idaho section made interesting reading.

Obviously living in 15 states you are NEVER happy anywhere you go.
LOL. Are you stalking me? I have never had a stalker before!

That's kinda cool.

SC is the greatest state in all the world! The bestest of the best!

Rock on SC!!!

Old 09-25-2009, 01:44 PM

134 posts, read 261,297 times
NewYorkBorn,
Disconnect, go out on a date with some unfortunate soul and forget about this messageboard for a little while.

Old 09-25-2009, 02:40 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,800,423 times
Quote:
I like some things about Greenville SC or I would not have invested in the area by purchasing a home there, but was not impressed with the job opportunities or diversity.

Diversity??? Germans with BMW, French with Michelin, one of the largest Indian populations in the south, a growing Hispanic culture, a sizable Jewish population......you need to check things out a little more closely.

Old 09-25-2009, 06:11 PM

5,516 posts, read 15,285,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dband22 View Post
...I have lived all over the country, over 15 different cities...
Quote:
...Obviously living in 15 states you are NEVER happy anywhere you go.
NYB, try reading with your eyes open. Fifteen different cities does not automatically equate to fifteen different states -- unless you are aware of additional information we have not seen here in this thread. Regardless, please halt your vain babbling and let other people share their opinions about this great place. Most of us did not make a mistake by choosing to live here because SC is the right place for us at this point in time. Obviously you did make the mistake of moving here for selfish reasons and SC is clearly not the right place for you. We all can agree that this is fine and that different people have different opinions about different places. Just don't put words in another person's mouth.

Old 09-26-2009, 06:35 AM

745 posts, read 2,223,597 times
Part of the reason we chose the Upstate is because of the manufacturing presence. There was a time when working a trade was a respected occupation. I've been in tool and die for 35 years, and am proud of my skills. I look forward to going to work every day- I like what I do for a living! That being said, from everything I can tell, work in my trade is in serious decline in much of the country, including SC. Here in FL, many of the shops have closed. If I lost my job right now, I'd be in deep trouble. Sometime in 2010, I'll head to our SC property and build our house. By the time that's done, hopefully there will be some kind of job available. Since we are careful with our money, and won't have a mortgage, I can get by just fine on $10 an hour if that's what it comes to.

My feeling is that Greenville will be one of the areas that rebounds strongly after the recession is over. I'm literally betting everything I have on it! And if things don't recover, we'll all be in a fix, regardless of location.

Old 09-26-2009, 09:44 AM

470 posts, read 593,050 times
NYB, I appreciate your posts. I think your hilarious!

Quote:
Regardless whether or not SC made the CNN list....an 11.5% unemployment rate is still high. Especially for a state like SC that does not have a large population......that means a lot of people are out of work.
This percentage is based on the population. 11.5% of SC's population is actually less people than 3% of New York's population. I'm not saying it's good or OK. Just wondering if you saw that New York had an unemployment rate of 3% would you think that was OK? Even though more people are out of work.

Old 09-26-2009, 09:50 AM

470 posts, read 593,050 times
Quote:
These companies that you mention are still a part of the manufacturing industry and as far as bringing highly educated people and good paying jobs to the area. That is great but does not help to create jobs for the masses of natives. All this accomplishes is transferring skilled people to the area to take these jobs while those who are born here continue to suffer with limited and low paying employment options.
Do you even realize what you said here?

Old 09-26-2009, 10:02 AM

1,140 posts, read 2,860,128 times
I like NYB. I think she is a nice lady. Of course when folks are attacked, or anticipate attack, they come out a little strong. C'mon folks...let's give everyone the benefit of the doubt and take the high road with our posts.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area