U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2009, 09:50 AM

156 posts, read 310,780 times

Advertisements

My hubby has been there at his new job for a couple weeks and we (my 3 1/2 yr old and I) shall join him next weekend! Too excited and thrilled.

Anyone have any suggestions for what to do for our first couple weeks there? We will be looking for homes but also want to do some fun stuff and eat some good local food. We love Indian, Chinese, pizza (prefer local over chain), great breakfast/brunch places, great outdoor dining, etc. Love to go for walks and explore (our realtor showed us the downtown area and we're thrilled to walk over there too).

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2009, 10:12 AM

2,067 posts, read 5,308,032 times
My favorite Indian restaurant is: India Palace, Greenville, Upstate SC's premier Indian restaurant located in Greenville, SC 29607

My favorite pizza is: Happy Pie - Love Pizza Again!

My daughter is visiting at the moment along with my three year old grandson and his three month old brother. Here are some ideas the three year old loves:

Since you have already been downtown, you have probably looked for the mice already, but if you haven't, check this out: Mice on Main (http://www.greenvillesc.gov/visitors/mice.asp - broken link)

The zoo is a perfect size for younger kids: Welcome to the Greenville Zoo

Cleveland Park has nice walking paths and a really wonderful playground that has large parts of it under cover. It is also right there next to the zoo! Greenville Parks and Recreation (http://www.greenvillesc.gov/city_services/parks_info.asp - broken link)

Falls Park downtown is a must see if you haven't already. There is also a childrens garden area downtown, which we were going to today, but the little one has a fever, so we are staying in. Hopefully we can make it there in the next couple of days. Falls Park, Greenville, SC (http://www.fallspark.com/index_content.html - broken link)

To meet people, let me suggest Do something, Learn something, Share something, Change something - Meetup.com There is something for everyone there and I've met some great people that way!

Welcome to town!

Old 09-23-2009, 01:24 PM

5,473 posts, read 13,631,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzyk298 View Post
...Anyone have any suggestions for what to do for our first couple weeks there?
Additional ideas include visiting
  • the Children's Museum of the Upstate
  • the Upcountry History Museum
  • the Greenville County Museum of Art (free)
  • the BJU Museum & Gallery (free Sunday afternoons)
  • the Carolina First Saturday Market
  • West End Movies
  • Falls Park Golf & Games
  • Jones Gap State Park
  • Caesar's Head State Park
  • Table Rock State Park
  • Devil's Fork State Park
  • Paris Mountain State Park
  • Keowee Toxaway State Park
  • Oconee State Park
  • Aunt Sue's Country Corner
  • Pleasant Ridge County Park
  • Roper Mountain Science Center
  • Furman University
  • Greenville County Library headquarters
  • Heritage Park (ride a small train)
  • The Pavilion (ride a small train)
  • etc...

The main event happening the weekend of October 9-11 is Fall For Greenville, the largest and arguably the best overall annual event in the Upstate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzyk298 View Post
...We will be looking for homes but also want to do some fun stuff and eat some good local food. We love Indian, Chinese, pizza (prefer local over chain), great breakfast/brunch places, great outdoor dining, etc. Love to go for walks and explore (our realtor showed us the downtown area and we're thrilled to walk over there too).

Thanks!
Indian favorites include
I am less familiar with the local Chinese establishments, but have occasionally enjoyed Orient on Main. There is a place in Mauldin called Great Wall that I really enjoy as well. It seems more authentic than most in the area.

For great local pizza try Trio in downtown. It is cooked in a wood-fired brick oven and is quite delicious.

Old 09-23-2009, 04:45 PM

Thank you so much!

Old 09-24-2009, 02:08 PM

5,681 posts, read 9,945,476 times
Default Food Input

My favorite pizza place in the area right now (seems to change as I try more & more local places) is Pizza City off Pleasantburg Dr near the intersection with Wade Hampton Blvd. Doesn't look like much, but the pie is GREAT. And, reading the ceiling can provide entertainment!

Close behind are Pizza Factory and Morretti's, both in Mauldin. Morettis really is fantastic.

I haven't found bad Indian food here, and have been to several restaurants (including an all-vegetarian one) so I feel whatever you pick in this area is a safe bet.

There are also quite a few really good sushi places, and there are several Thai places too. Several teppan table-style Japanese places as well.

Unfortunately, Chinese around here tends to be buffet style. Quality varies, but I'm usually satisfied.

With kids, Red Robin in the Shoppes at Greenridge on Woodruff Rd can be fun.

Ooh! Almost forgot - Frankie's fun park has both indoor & outdoor games, and now includes a Johnny Rocket's 50's-style burger joint.

Let us know what you end up doing!

Cheers

Hope this helps!

Old 09-25-2009, 07:21 AM

5 posts, read 9,681 times
Default moving to Greenville

Greenville is filled with so many great places to eat. You can never go wrong with the restaurants in downtown Greenville. Lieu's is a great place for Chinese.
If you need help in finding a home, let me know.

Old 09-25-2009, 08:49 AM

5,774 posts, read 6,544,075 times
Looks like it may rain next Saturday (10/3), but Sunday looks nice.

Old 09-25-2009, 09:33 AM

Ok, I think I'm set for the next YEAR! Thank you everyone.

Old 10-30-2009, 09:32 PM

2 posts, read 3,213 times
Default Thing in greenville

it seems that you have got some great advice on greenville, like downtown and falls park. Paris mt, state park is good to for a day trip. There is always something going on in GREENVILLE. There are a few thing that you may want to consider if you have a family, [mod] must have more than 10 posts to make recommendations [/mod]
WELCOME TO GREENVILLE!!!!!!

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 10-31-2009 at 09:18 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area