Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 08:25 AM

80 posts, read 225,860 times

Advertisements

Has anyone seen or know where this superload that is making its way through SC? I'm pretty sure its some massive 300' steam generator coming off a boat in Purrysburg making its way to the NC state line. Its supposed to be coming through Laurens and N Greenville county at a breakneck speed of five to 20 MPH. I'd like to check it out or maybe get a pic of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2009, 12:12 PM

2,067 posts, read 5,942,655 times
I don't know if this helps or not.....

Hauling heavy: 'Superload' shipment makes its way slowly through region | The People-Sentinel

Old 09-24-2009, 01:07 PM

77 posts, read 223,209 times
I read that the exact route is not being disclosed. There is supposedly a $3M economic stimulus for SC for having the generator travel through here. It really would be a sight to see.

Old 09-24-2009, 04:06 PM

1 posts, read 4,732 times
It is in Barnwell, SC today and will be traveling to Williston, SC, via Hwy 37 & Hwy 78, within the next day.

Old 09-25-2009, 12:26 PM

9,356 posts, read 9,646,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadiemagnolia View Post
I read that the exact route is not being disclosed. There is supposedly a $3M economic stimulus for SC for having the generator travel through here. It really would be a sight to see.
Is the $3M fee's to SC for using our roads?

I hate to get stuck behind that guy....(ah, honey, I'm going to be very late for dinner....lol)

Old 09-25-2009, 09:14 PM

77 posts, read 223,209 times
from the post and courier (charleston paper):
The impact comes through the business created at the port, the hiring of local police and sheriff's deputies to provide security and traffic control along the route, along with the fuel purchased here and other associated expenditures, such as hotel stays and meals. "It's a lot of funds being pumped through South Carolina, and the port's thrilled because they got the work."

Old 11-02-2009, 12:15 PM

80 posts, read 225,860 times
Does anyone have in more info on where this thing is at now?

Old 11-02-2009, 12:58 PM

672 posts, read 1,410,316 times
"The generator, made by the Toshiba Company of Japan, belongs to Duke Energy, and is bound for its new coal-fired electricity generating unit west of Boiling Springs, N.C., and about 20 miles north of Gaffney.

The Cliffside Steam Station is located on the Rutherford/Cleveland County line in North Carolina, on the Broad River.

Construction of Unit 6 of the Cliffside Steam Station began Jan. 30, 2008, and is on schedule for completion in 2012. Once Cliffside Unit 6 comes on line in 2012, units 1-4 will be retired, and the facility will generate more than double the electricity of the current units, with significantly lower emissions. Duke has committed to retiring 800 additional megawatts of older coal-fired generation, making Unit 6 carbon neutral by 2018."

GSA Business | Greenville, SC | Spartanburg, SC | Anderson, SC

Old 11-20-2009, 08:09 AM

9,356 posts, read 9,646,145 times
Default Moving through Greenville County TODAY!

The load is creeping along roads at 5-20 mph and was laid over in Greenwood for three weeks while crews prepared rigging and plans for the road ahead.

The generator is expected to enter Greenville County about noon today and travel a few miles before parking along Augusta Road in Honea Path until about 6 p.m. Sunday, according to the Greenville County Sheriff’s Office.

It will then continue north on Augusta Road before turning left onto Mills Avenue, right onto Marue Drive and right onto Washington Avenue. The load will then turn right onto White Horse Road and head for U.S. 25’s intersection with State 11.

‘Superload’ could be big draw on Upstate roads | greenvilleonline.com | The Greenville News

Old 11-23-2009, 12:41 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,008,662 times
The generator is on Augusta Road at the moment, just a mile or two South of I-85. I went to see it this afternoon and there were a lot of other people parking and walking up to it.

In any case they are going to leave it there until at least after Thanksgiving. It will then head across I-85 and creep back over to White Horse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area