Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 07:04 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,487,762 times

Advertisements

Again, having grown up on the Gulf Coast, I find that unless you're used to the climate in Phoenix or Las Vegas, humidity really is not an issue here on a day-to-day basis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2009, 10:23 AM

3 posts, read 7,533 times
Thank you everyone...your detailed information helps a lot!

Old 10-01-2009, 12:08 PM

1,161 posts, read 1,852,345 times
Speaking as someone who does not like high humidity - the Upstate overall is quite comfortable. I've lived in Colorado so I understand liking a dry climate. July & August are hot and humid here, but one can escape to the mountains and it is a small price to pay for September thru June.

I thought I would not be able to tolerate summer here when I moved from New England - but it ended up nowhere near as bad as I first imagined and adjusted quite well since there isn't the temperature fluctuations as in NE ( 95 and humid one day - cold front pushes thru - 68 degrees the next day. The rollercoaster temp. ride can really mess up the system)

Plus, I survived living two years at Ft. Hood, Texas while my dad served in the Army - talk about hot & humid!

Old 10-05-2009, 09:35 PM

23 posts, read 42,073 times
I hate the humidity. I didn't realize Greenville had high humidity. This is one reason I want to leave south Alabama. You walk outside and stuffy hot air hits you in the face and you feel like you can't breathe. And its muggy yuk! Doesn't make you want to be active outside much which I hate.

Old 10-06-2009, 06:34 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,805,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerrieJ View Post
I hate the humidity. I didn't realize Greenville had high humidity. This is one reason I want to leave south Alabama. You walk outside and stuffy hot air hits you in the face and you feel like you can't breathe. And its muggy yuk! Doesn't make you want to be active outside much which I hate.
I grew up in Birmingham and lived in Mobile for several years. Trust me, Greenville's humidity is nothing like the opressive humidity in south or central Alabama. Greenville will feel like Phoenix in comparison. Greenville actually has 4 true seasons, not the two that South Alabama has.

Old 10-06-2009, 05:52 PM

23 posts, read 42,073 times
Thank you for that info GSUPSTATE. So how do you like Greenville Compared to Birmingham, Mobile??? I was suppose to come up there this weekend but we decided to wait till next weekend because it will be packed there( Fall of Greenville). However I told my husband we could come up there this weekend and next weekend too. He thought I was joking but actually I wasn't. It's only a 6hr drive. We are not familiar with the area but I have been studying my maps(Ha)! I am so glad to hear the humidity it not like it is down here. I have been here since 1989 ( originally from Huntsville area) and I miss the fall and I will never get use to this humidity no matter how long I stayed. I hope the economy picks up around there so we can find a job and move because from what I have seen so far ( Pics) this town is quite beautiful with a nice layout. Even the county itself seems to have a nice layoff for such a large population. Something about it seems special however I have not been there so...... I want to get there before the real estate goes through the roof like Asheville has!

Old 10-06-2009, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerrieJ View Post
Thank you for that info GSUPSTATE. So how do you like Greenville Compared to Birmingham, Mobile??? I was suppose to come up there this weekend but we decided to wait till next weekend because it will be packed there( Fall of Greenville). However I told my husband we could come up there this weekend and next weekend too. He thought I was joking but actually I wasn't. It's only a 6hr drive. We are not familiar with the area but I have been studying my maps(Ha)! I am so glad to hear the humidity it not like it is down here. I have been here since 1989 ( originally from Huntsville area) and I miss the fall and I will never get use to this humidity no matter how long I stayed. I hope the economy picks up around there so we can find a job and move because from what I have seen so far ( Pics) this town is quite beautiful with a nice layout. Even the county itself seems to have a nice layoff for such a large population. Something about it seems special however I have not been there so...... I want to get there before the real estate goes through the roof like Asheville has!
If you are from Huntsville, you'll find Greenville eerily similar. Both cities sit at the foot of mountains. Both have a high percentage of engineers. Both cities have natural water features downtown (Big Spring in Huntsville, Reedy Falls in Greenville). Both cities have major populations of northerners, Europeans, etc that have moved to the areas. Even with all the similarities, I give Greenville the nod for beauty. The beauty of Greenville is hard to match anywhere.

Birmingham is my home, I love it, but I'd like to see it progress a little more as regards the downtown. I do not miss Birmingham humidity....yuck! As for Mobile, I didn't care for it. The people were a bit cliquish and old south. The humidity, of course, was terrible.

I've lived a great number of places, and Greenville by far has the happiest people I've met. Greenville has a good positive vibe.

Old 10-06-2009, 08:22 PM

1,997 posts, read 4,582,085 times
I was born in Birmingham and lived there briefly before moving to Tennessee in my early years. Fast forward --> moved back and lived in Birmingham from '97 to 2003. Since then, I've lived in the Upstate from 2003 on (with a brief time in Chattanooga).

This is just my opinion...

Humidity for the majority of the Southeast (SE) is about the same. From about mid June thru mid September, the humidity is generally high (and rarely is stifling with heatwaves). The exceptions to this are two geographic areas of the SE: Gulf/Atlantic coasts and the Blue Ridge/Southern Appalachians (elevations > 2000 feet).

I've been to the Gulf coast in mid-Summer (Mobile/Biloxi/FL panhandle) and the humidity is just downright smothering. Conversely, Asheville and (especially) Boone, NC have "tempered" humidity just due to the altitude and lower temperatures. I recall being at private retreat in Western NC several years ago in mid-Summer (4500 feet). The humidity was "high" but it was a (relatively) cool 78 degrees (in July).

(IMHO) Birmingham and Greenville have little real differences in their humidity. Perhaps Greenville is a little better (Greenville is usually a few degrees cooler than B'ham in the Summer). But, we're comparing SC and AL - they're both deep South states. If you have little tolerance to humidity and desire to stay in the SE, consider a move to Asheville (or even Boone).

Old 10-06-2009, 09:52 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,487,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drfranklin View Post
I was born in Birmingham and lived there briefly before moving to Tennessee in my early years. Fast forward --> moved back and lived in Birmingham from '97 to 2003. Since then, I've lived in the Upstate from 2003 on (with a brief time in Chattanooga).

This is just my opinion...

Humidity for the majority of the Southeast (SE) is about the same. From about mid June thru mid September, the humidity is generally high (and rarely is stifling with heatwaves). The exceptions to this are two geographic areas of the SE: Gulf/Atlantic coasts and the Blue Ridge/Southern Appalachians (elevations > 2000 feet).

I've been to the Gulf coast in mid-Summer (Mobile/Biloxi/FL panhandle) and the humidity is just downright smothering. Conversely, Asheville and (especially) Boone, NC have "tempered" humidity just due to the altitude and lower temperatures. I recall being at private retreat in Western NC several years ago in mid-Summer (4500 feet). The humidity was "high" but it was a (relatively) cool 78 degrees (in July).

(IMHO) Birmingham and Greenville have little real differences in their humidity. Perhaps Greenville is a little better (Greenville is usually a few degrees cooler than B'ham in the Summer). But, we're comparing SC and AL - they're both deep South states. If you have little tolerance to humidity and desire to stay in the SE, consider a move to Asheville (or even Boone).
The humidity numbers may be similar between Greenville & B'ham, but the feel is completely different. And I say that as someone who has also lived in both places for quite a while.

Old 10-06-2009, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateBooster View Post
The humidity numbers may be similar between Greenville & B'ham, but the feel is completely different. And I say that as someone who has also lived in both places for quite a while.
I would agree. I think the biggest difference is in the evenings. Even in the middle of summer, Greenville tends to cool off in the evenings, where Birmingham tended to stay hot and muggy. The slightly cooler Greenville definitely feels less humid. Greenville has 4 true seasons as well. Something you won't find in Birmingham.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area