Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 08:49 AM

137 posts, read 395,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoorsgirl1974 View Post
I am considering moving to Greenville,SC or up in the Mountains near that area..... I am moving from Bozeman,MT and grew up in Fargo,ND...so this would be an extreme move for me weather wise!
I have two things to say, and warn you all ahead of time you (and others) may be tempted to negate one based on your opinion of the other!

First, I've spent considerable time everywhere from New Jersey to the Midwest to the Southwest (Southern California near Palm Springs, and also Phoenix). Right now I live in what you might call "the Mountains near that area (Greenville)". I'm 6 miles North of Travelers Rest, or about 16 miles North of Greenville. So my Summer temperatures are about 4 degrees less than in Greenville, which itself has lower temperatures than the more coastal areas of the state. I find my particular area of the Upstate to be very comfortable in the Summer, and the humidity is not a problem. I think even Greenville and all across the Upstate is WAY less oppressive than East Texas, Missouri, and Arkansas, and its also totally less oppressive than Columbia or anywhere near the coast in this state. But this may be a comment, as are others, on temperature rather than humidity. I have yet to hear anyone talk about what the actual relative humidity is here!

I moved here two years ago from the absolute desert, where humidity is 10-14% most of the year unless its actually raining. Upstate humidity doesn't bother me except a handful of days during the Summer, right after a rain.

The second thing I have to say is, I find the weather here to be so mild I don't even have air conditioning in my home. Ceiling fans do the trick for me and I open the windows in the evening to cool the house off by bed time! As a result, though, my opinion may differ from others living in this area because there is probably some acclimation going on for me that others never experience as a result of living almost constantly in air conditioning. If I become used to the heat during the Summer, I'm not going to notice the humidity very much. People who don't acclimate, season to season, seem to become much more sensitive to both heat and cold. Now days, with great heating and air conditioning systems, its possible for one to live their entire life in a very limited heat range, and when they step outside of that range, they feel miserable. I would guess that 99% of people that have been responding to your question are in this group. I am the weird one. So I'm not saying to take my perspective with a grain of salt unless you also need to live in a very limited temperature range to be comfortable. If you happen to be open to changes in temperatures, and can adapt, then I think the humidity will not be a problem, and a move to ANYWHERE East, and slightly South of Bozeman would be ANYTHING but an extreme move, as you have described it. I would rather term it a moderating move. But if you need air conditioning to be comfortable, then you may notice humidity when you step outside here, and in that case you definitely might prefer being closer to the North Carolina / South Carolina state line, or in the North Carolina mountain area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2009, 09:28 AM

183 posts, read 498,667 times
I am south of downtown Greenville in the Simpsonville area. I have only been here since the end of July, and this summer may have been atypically cooler, but honestly I've experienced far worse humidity in New Jersey. The other bonus is that it seems to cool off considerably in the evening and the humidity falls too, whereas in NJ, both could still be unbearable at midnight in summer.

Old 10-07-2009, 10:00 AM

137 posts, read 395,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingNJ View Post
...and this summer may have been atypically cooler, but honestly I've experienced far worse humidity in New Jersey. The other bonus is that it seems to cool off considerably in the evening and the humidity falls too, whereas in NJ, both could still be unbearable at midnight in summer.
This Summer was definitely cooler than the previous one. Good point!

Thanks for reminding me of NJ heat lasting almost all night! I had forgotten, as it was in the '70s when I was there and kept fans going until after midnight every single night, just for some relief.

If anyone is interested in the actual relative humidity in different US Cities, here's a chart: Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed

You can click on each city and see the average humidity then for each month of the year.

A little investigation into this chart will probably reveal that there is not much difference between the Eastern cities! What affects us apparently is the temperature, and when we feel oppressive heat, we say "humidity" because we know that if there were less humidity, there would be less oppression. But the truth is, there is not much more humidity in one city than another on the East Coast. What does differ though is the temperature, and especially the number of hours at high temperatures.

Greenville happens to be blessed with nights that cool off a lot compared to other areas in the South. This is probably due to being near the slope of the Blue Ridge escarpment, from whence cool air descends to Greenville during the evening. By whatever means, it still cools off at night, allowing attics to cool, and people to be able to enjoy evenings outside. This is what you don't find in many Eastern cities, and is a real drawing card for Greenville.

Last edited by Yac; 11-19-2009 at 06:46 AM..

Old 10-07-2009, 11:47 AM

1,161 posts, read 1,851,730 times
One thing I have noticed is (at least to me) that there usually is a breeze even on the hotter days. Doesn't mean we don't get our share of hot days where the air just sits and stifles you, but it seems more often than not we get breezes, maybe due to the mountain proximity.

I do remember than living in Central Texas that the air didn't move at all - unless for a T-storm - and in the summer months, you just didn't go outside. (not that there was a whole bunch to go look at!)

Maybe as I am getting older my tolerance for warm weather is getting better!

Last edited by cougfan; 10-07-2009 at 11:51 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 10-07-2009, 12:43 PM

2,261 posts, read 5,814,189 times
if you were here two summers ago, it was unbearable, this past summer was very mild and comfortable for the most part, thats what I love about this area, you never can tell!

Old 10-07-2009, 04:27 PM

1,161 posts, read 1,851,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoodlesKnowles View Post
if you were here two summers ago, it was unbearable, this past summer was very mild and comfortable for the most part, thats what I love about this area, you never can tell!
We moved here in the end of August 2007 - it was quite hot! I do remember the locals telling me all of that September that the heat was not normal. But for that first month we really wondered....

Last edited by cougfan; 10-07-2009 at 04:28 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 10-07-2009, 04:59 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,483,107 times
We've been here since 2000 (when a different drought/heat wave was in progress), and can say 2007 was exceptionally hot, but not just around here - it was part of a continental weather pattern that generated a heat wave nationally.

Old 10-15-2009, 02:09 AM

2 posts, read 7,275 times
I would you to go to the mountains. At least the nights are cool. The humidity started in May 2009. It usually starts in late June. It is hot and very humid. Sorry. Thinking of mountains myself if I ever can sell my house.

Old 10-15-2009, 06:43 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,630,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhill1938 View Post
I would you to go to the mountains. At least the nights are cool. The humidity started in May 2009. It usually starts in late June. It is hot and very humid. Sorry. Thinking of mountains myself if I ever can sell my house.
I guess it's all relative. It's still "face of the sun" hot here in central FL, and still too humid to be comfortable outside at 10 at night . We're supposed to get a "cold front" over the weekend and get down to 74 (but it'll be 85 again next week).

It's not as bad as 10 inches of snow I guess, but it would be nice to have something in between.

Old 10-15-2009, 10:39 AM

36 posts, read 104,851 times
Well , I would consider 90 degrees with 74% himidity pretty darn humid! There won't be as much in the mountains of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area