Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2009, 11:47 AM

2,261 posts, read 5,815,561 times

Advertisements

Ok I just had this sprung on me and I wanted some input from ya'll: My Mother in-law and Grandmother in-law are apparently coming to town tonight instead of tomorrow, and they want me to choose a restaurant to eat at for dinner, I want something nice, but moderately priced, in a good location, since neither of them have been to Greenville very much. For some reason i'm drawing a total blank right now, little help?

P.S. I thought it important to mention they are both laid back and sweet, and they like me, but it doesn't hurt to impress, you know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2009, 12:18 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,126,933 times
First thing that comes to mind is Peddler Steak House on Poinsett near Cherrydale. Don't have to dress up and it is a great historic local place.

Old 10-02-2009, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruvidu View Post
First thing that comes to mind is Peddler Steak House on Poinsett near Cherrydale. Don't have to dress up and it is a great historic local place.
price range? and do I have to make reservations? do they take reservations? thanks!

Old 10-02-2009, 01:09 PM

288 posts, read 944,746 times
Whenever I have friends visiting from away, I usually take them downtown. People are impressed with our wonderful downtown. And there are a lot of eating options. Plus you can take a nice stroll around through the park, etc. Some moderate places that come to mind are Sassafras (Southern, entrees $16-$25), Lemongrass (Thai, entrees $12-$21), Tsunami (Japanese/sushi, entrees $12-$25), Trio (Italian, entrees, $10-$15), Sobys (New South, entrees $19-$26), The Cazbah (Tapas, small portions from $5-$9 each).

All these places have websites with menus. I've eaten at them all a good bit and find them consistent and good.

On a Friday night, reservations are probably good idea but not necessary if you don't mind a little wait. There are a ton more places down there, some more casual than I think you're looking for (Barley's, Blue Ridge Brewing Company) and there are more that are pretty high-end (expensive).

Outside of downtown -- For a fun, interactive experience you might try The Melting Pot fondue place on Haywood Rd. Everybody can share and their chocolate dessert fondue is fabulous. If you are really looking for a steak place, I second the Peddler recommendation. Do NOT go to Charlie's downtown. Overpriced, bland and worn out. We made that mistake for a birthday. Never again.

Old 10-02-2009, 01:40 PM

Just ate at Trio for dinner last saturday, sassafras and soby's are a bit too pricey, and the rest of those don't sound good to take an 80+ year old woman to. Keep em comin folks, good ideas!!

Also, they might want to go downtown but they have been here before, we had brunch at Blue ridge the last time they were here, so its not imperative that the restaurant be in that area.

Old 10-02-2009, 02:59 PM

288 posts, read 944,746 times
Hmmm, a place for an 80+ year old. I'm thinking of my grandma. She'd rather go to Cracker Barrel than about anyplace else.
Some other suggestions... Brick Street Cafe on Augusta has a nice atmosphere and most the menu is under $20. Lieu's on Woodruff Rd. is always good, if you are in the mood for Asian. Portofino's on East North Street has a nice cozy environment and isn't too pricey. Or perhaps City Range on Haywood Rd. A while back they were offering a special menu with smaller portions (still plenty of food). That was a great deal, if they are still doing it. Their menu has a nice variety of items.
I'd be interested to hear where you wind up and how everybody liked it.

Old 10-02-2009, 04:07 PM

I thought i'd update, I think we are going to go to The Olive Tree, The owners were very accommodating when I called and told them it was my wife's grandmothers 84th birthday, and as an added bonus I found a great website with coupons for the particular place, $20 for a $50 gift certificate(w/$100 purchase) then get this, as an added bonus to that I found a website that gives a coupon for restaurant.com, so I got 50% off that, so I ended up with a $50 gift certificate for $10! unreal. I'll let ya'll know how dinner was tomorrow or something.

Old 10-03-2009, 02:03 PM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,749,341 times
Waffle House is an excellent value for the money with many convenient locations. Don't go to the one on the north side of 290 & I-85 in Duncan; go to the one on the south side of 290 & I-85.
Say hi to (forgot her name) who has been there for 25 years.

Old 10-03-2009, 02:52 PM

231 posts, read 574,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS1 View Post
Waffle House is an excellent value for the money with many convenient locations. Don't go to the one on the north side of 290 & I-85 in Duncan; go to the one on the south side of 290 & I-85.
Say hi to (forgot her name) who has been there for 25 years.
LOL.

So Noodles how was the Olive Tree? I've been there before.. my friend while in high school's family owns that place. I'm assuming they still do...

Old 10-04-2009, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dep8477 View Post
LOL.

So Noodles how was the Olive Tree? I've been there before.. my friend while in high school's family owns that place. I'm assuming they still do...
it was great, The food was delicious, the portions were huge, the staff was attentive and sweet, they brought out a brownie for my wifes grandmothers b-day at the end of the meal, it was exactly what I was looking for, and with the coupon I had I spent less than $40 including tip, for 4 adults!(I did tip for the full total of my bill of course, its only fair

As a side note, it is a very casual place, you can order anything from pizza and hoagies to a full fledged pasta dinner, I had some kind of chicken with mushrooms, capers, and green peppers in a garlic and white wine sauce w/fettuccine , I was very impressed with the food for such a casual place, definitely family oriented and delicious!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area