Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 02:02 PM

2,261 posts, read 5,816,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
I am quickly losing respect for you noodles! Unemployment in this area is a serious problem which affects about 20 people that I know right now right here in the Upstate...if the BI-LO office closes it will be about 50 people that I know. I'm sorry you don't see it since you are now employed but Greenville has not hit bottom yet and it could end up affecting you in the end.
I don't know why, I just pointed out the obvious, is it not true that you are having trouble finding work in Greenville and have posted about it numerous times? Thats all I said. As for your respect for me, I post what I see and how I feel, it makes no difference to me who has respect for me and who doesn't.

Last edited by NoodlesKnowles; 10-05-2009 at 02:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2009, 02:10 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,480,929 times
I've never been a big fan of Food Lion, though I do like Bloom. I pretty much split my grocery shopping among Publix, Bi-Lo, and Bloom. I'd hate to see the Bi-Lo brand name go away.

Old 10-05-2009, 02:26 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,487,762 times
I used to like Bloom, but as time has passed, the things that really set them apart have either been done away with (quarterly "rebates") or have deteriorated (the self-scanning seems to always have problems - sometimes it seems more items aren't in the system than are).

I think maybe the OP is referring to corp jobs at the Bi Lo HQ in Mauldin. The loss of those jobs wouldn't be good. Otherwise, I would see this as just a name change basically.

Old 10-05-2009, 02:53 PM

6,888 posts, read 22,431,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateBooster View Post
I think maybe the OP is referring to corp jobs at the Bi Lo HQ in Mauldin. The loss of those jobs wouldn't be good. Otherwise, I would see this as just a name change basically.
At least someone on here is thinking even though I stated just that a bit earlier in this thread. And it doesn't stop at the Mauldin office, it affects vendors as well. If you've ever been in the business you would realize just how far this is going to reach and it will hurt the Upstate the most and will affect people in other parts of the country as well.

Old 10-05-2009, 03:10 PM

9,371 posts, read 9,662,180 times
I agree with others about Bloom, cool concept, but overpriced.

There actually is one Food Line Store on Augusta Rd near I-185. I've been there once, and it is actually a nice store, nice decor, prices were pretty good.

I may have been a little drastic with the less competition statement.

Still sorry to see the Bi-Lo brand go away if it does.

Old 10-05-2009, 03:16 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,684,228 times
Yeah Bloom is nice, but waaaaay overpriced. A lot of Bi-Lo's have become really dumpy. There's a fairly new Food Lion (about 1 year old) on Wade Hampton (Hwy.29) in Lyman. it looks really nice from the outside, although I've never been inside.

Old 10-05-2009, 03:20 PM

45 posts, read 156,343 times
Bloom is owned by Food Lion is it not?

Old 10-05-2009, 03:25 PM

2,261 posts, read 5,816,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
At least someone on here is thinking even though I stated just that a bit earlier in this thread.
really? I don't know if you noticed but nowhere in this thread did anyone say it was a good thing that this was happening.

Old 10-05-2009, 03:30 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,805,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firefighter77 View Post
Bloom is owned by Food Lion is it not?
Right. Bloom is the upscale division of Food Lion. Most of the stores in the Greenville area are Bloom. There are a few Food Lions in the more rural areas of the county.

Blooms have sushi, a larger deli area, better brands, an organic section, higher end beers and wines, etc, etc.

Old 10-05-2009, 03:33 PM

5,518 posts, read 15,291,100 times
Bloom's deals are actually quite competitive if you pay attention regularly.

I occasionally shop at the Verdae Village Super BI-LO and have been pleased overall. Depending on the needs, most of my grocery shopping lately is now done at Whole Foods Market, but they are obviously in a different class altogether. I generally prefer Publix over the other brands in the region, specifically because of their great customer service and quality products. With that said, they do not provide 24-hour service in the Upstate and for that reason I have spent a fair amount of money at Bloom, Super BI-LO, Ingles, and even Wal-Mart Supercenter. Food Lion has yet to make a worthy appeal to me, but then again their locations are not convenient to many of us in the Greenville area.

I do find it a bit disappointing that after so many years, the BI-LO name may finally disappear, much like the Winn-Dixie name a few years ago. I recall being very upset after BI-LO bought out the Welcome supermarket on Laurens Road. Now the table seems to have turned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area