U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 02:35 PM

2,214 posts, read 5,138,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
Bloom's deals are actually quite competitive if you pay attention regularly.

I occasionally shop at the Verdae Village Super BI-LO and have been pleased overall. Depending on the needs, most of my grocery shopping lately is now done at Whole Foods Market, but they are obviously in a different class altogether. I generally prefer Publix over the other brands in the region, specifically because of their great customer service and quality products. With that said, they do not provide 24-hour service in the Upstate and for that reason I have spent a fair amount of money at Bloom, Super BI-LO, Ingles, and even Wal-Mart Supercenter. Food Lion has yet to make a worthy appeal to me, but then again their locations are not convenient to many of us in the Greenville area.

I do find it a bit disappointing that after so many years, the BI-LO name may finally disappear, much like the Winn-Dixie name a few years ago. I recall being very upset after BI-LO bought out the Welcome supermarket on Laurens Road. Now the table seems to have turned.
totally off topic but winn-Dixie was before my time, what happened to them? I still see more than a few local buildings that were obviously part of that chain around here, did they just close down or did someone buy them out and close the stores?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2009, 02:43 PM

5,473 posts, read 13,663,044 times
Refer to the summarized info at wikipedia. While the brand is not totally gone, it has completely disappeared from the Upstate.

Old 10-05-2009, 02:48 PM

2,214 posts, read 5,138,473 times
I suppose we should be happy that BILO isn't allowing what happened to winn dixie to happen to them, those empty storefronts they left behind are eyesores.

Old 10-05-2009, 02:57 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,582,614 times
One thing to keep in mind is that Bi-Lo is already in chapter 11. While many companies have come out of chapter 11 and survived for many years, most don't survive for the long haul. A quick search of large corporations shows that only about 50 percent actually come out of chapter 11, and only about half of those companies survive more than a few years after bankruptcy. That's a 25 - 30% long term survival rate, in a good economy.

Companies also tend to start shedding employees as part of reorganization, so jobs could be in jeopardy already regardless of a buyout.

While some in the corporate office may lose jobs, it may be better for the store level employees long term. It could mean better benefits and opportunities for promotion, being that Delhaize is a much larger corporation with a bunch of different brands.

Of course this isn't much consolation for those that do get laid off.

When Food Lion purchased Kash N' Karry here in Florida (in '96 or '97) they pretty much left the brand alone until they re branded it Sweetbay a couple of years ago. I think that some of the Food Lions that were still here were converted to K N' K stores as well, but most of the Food Lions were the ones that were closed.

It's also worth noting that the corporate headquarters for Sweetbay are still in Tampa where they were before Food Lion purchased them.

Old 10-05-2009, 03:11 PM

968 posts, read 1,526,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
One thing to keep in mind is that Bi-Lo is already in chapter 11. While many companies have come out of chapter 11 and survived for many years, most don't survive for the long haul. A quick search of large corporations shows that only about 50 percent actually come out of chapter 11, and only about half of those companies survive more than a few years after bankruptcy. That's a 25 - 30% long term survival rate, in a good economy.

Companies also tend to start shedding employees as part of reorganization, so jobs could be in jeopardy already regardless of a buyout.

While some in the corporate office may lose jobs, it may be better for the store level employees long term. It could mean better benefits and opportunities for promotion, being that Delhaize is a much larger corporation with a bunch of different brands.

Of course this isn't much consolation for those that do get laid off.

When Food Lion purchased Kash N' Karry here in Florida (in '96 or '97) they pretty much left the brand alone until they re branded it Sweetbay a couple of years ago. I think that some of the Food Lions that were still here were converted to K N' K stores as well, but most of the Food Lions were the ones that were closed.

It's also worth noting that the corporate headquarters for Sweetbay are still in Tampa where they were before Food Lion purchased them.

This was also true when Delhaize bought out Hannaford - the corporate office stayed in Scarborough, ME and was not downsized or merged.

Old 10-05-2009, 04:04 PM

1,556 posts, read 3,163,136 times
Have to agree with you Mycr60.........these people do not care about the unemployment rate in Greenville until it affects them! It is shameful and the worst part is that they don't even want those who have experienced the unemployment problems in Greenville to talk about it. As someone who went through months of looking for work in Greenville.......eventhough I am no longer in that situation I can still feel the pain of those who are being affected.

I hope that the change in ownership at Bi-Lo does not result in a higher unemployment rate in Greenville.....as you mentioned there are already too many people there out of work. I pray that things change, but until then I will be here in NYC and my home in Greenville will be just for vacation. While I was living in Greenville met a few people who worked there unloading trucks, a few of them have lost their jobs already and before the job losses Bi-Lo was only paying them $8 an hour anyway. The troubling thing about the job losses there is that when people lose their jobs where are they supposed to turn when there is really not a lot of other places to work??

www.greenvilleonline.com, go to:
http://www.greenvilleonline.com/apps...NESS/910030305

Last edited by NewYorkBorn; 10-05-2009 at 04:46 PM..

Old 10-05-2009, 04:25 PM

10,358 posts, read 20,653,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cougfan View Post
This was also true when Delhaize bought out Hannaford - the corporate office stayed in Scarborough, ME and was not downsized or merged.
All the naysayers who think we'll lose jobs, please read this post I just quoted.

Old 10-05-2009, 04:56 PM

1,941 posts, read 3,939,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
Right. Bloom is the upscale division of Food Lion. Most of the stores in the Greenville area are Bloom. There are a few Food Lions in the more rural areas of the county.

Blooms have sushi, a larger deli area, better brands, an organic section, higher end beers and wines, etc, etc.
Plus, Bloom has mix-and-match six packs of beer. That is always fun!

Old 10-05-2009, 05:02 PM
jac

385 posts, read 883,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cougfan View Post
I actually know of at least one person who worked in the Corporate office in Scarborough who didn't stay. However, they were given a great compensation package to move to NC to work in the Food Lion Corporate office.

Old 10-05-2009, 08:05 PM

198 posts, read 535,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
So Bi-Lo stores will be re-branded.

Less competition means higher prices....wonderful.
The new Food Lion stores are awesome. They definitely give Publix a run for their money. Now they just need to remodel the older stores. I have to hand it to them though that even their older stores are very clean and not cluttered. On the other hand, Bi Lo has really gone down hill. The stores show their age. Even stores that are less than 10 years old look bad. BiLo needs to be restructured. I think Food Lion is a great choice to buy BiLo and I think they will bring these rundown stores up to par. I also never really like the BiLo name. Food Lion sounds much better and Blooms is a very trendy catchy name as well. Delhaize has came along way over the last 5 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area