U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 02:40 PM

345 posts, read 580,761 times

Advertisements

Is Greenville a Sprawl?
Need to point out I have never been to Greenville only seen pictures of the city (looks like the same pictures over and over) also viewed on Goggle earth.
I am always hearing how Greenville the town is so modern and beautiful.
But the city is very small especially when compared to its metro. 50k VS almost a Million. (approximant)

Does that equate to a massive sprawl?
If so, where do the majority mostly shop, in town or strip malls?
Also have another question comparing Knoxville to Greenville.

When I look at both cities with Goggle Earth, Knoxville appears to have an extreme advantage for the outdoorsman with all the lakes and rivers (very much into whitewater, kayaking & fishing).

If my observations are correct (and they never are) I would come to the conclusion that I would probably rarely visit the city in Greenville, and be better off in Knoxville even though the city itself isn’t as pretty?
Like I said, I’ve never been to either state, only know from research online.

All comments welcome.
PSS there is what appears to be a wonderful kayaking club based in Knoxville.

Last edited by alikair; 10-05-2009 at 02:45 PM.. Reason: font
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2009, 02:51 PM

2,214 posts, read 5,127,117 times
I think you would have to visit, I wouldn't really call it sprawl, the adjacent towns and suburban areas in the Greenville area all have their own character and charm and most operate independently of Greenville, so I think its a unique situation.

Old 10-05-2009, 02:52 PM

5,473 posts, read 13,639,449 times
If you are asking whether or not the Upstate has lots of unregulated sprawl, the answer is unfortunately YES. As with most metro areas of equal or greater population, the majority of local shopping is done in suburban-style malls, including strip malls and stand-alone stores.

Greenville is a good city for lovers of the outdoors. For more information, I recommend contacting Sunrift Adventures.

Old 10-05-2009, 03:20 PM

4,657 posts, read 7,783,077 times
I live in Greenville, well, Greer actually (suburb) and drive to Knoxville often for work. It's about a 3 hour drive from my house. The two ares are quite similar actually, but I think the Upstate overall is more "prosperous". Downtown Greenville blows away downtown Knoxville, but that's not really fair, since downtown Greenville is one of, if not the nicest downtowns in the country.

As far as sprawl, you'd think that the population #'s would confirm that, but traffic wise; I'd say no, except for perhaps Woodruff Rd. and that's due to poor infrasture planning more than anything. In theory Greenville's pop. should be much larger as the fake city's of Taylors and Berea would normally count in the city's population, if it were somewhere else.

Basically Greenville's the "main" city, with a lot of other city's with similar populations surrounding it. If you like the outdoors, we've got lakes, lakes and more lakes; oh and mountains too.

Old 10-05-2009, 04:12 PM

5,681 posts, read 9,953,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
As far as sprawl, you'd think that the population #'s would confirm that, but traffic wise; I'd say no, except for perhaps Woodruff Rd. and that's due to poor infrasture planning more than anything.
Believe me, there are plenty of other places around G'ville where traffic IS a problem. Ashmore Bridge Rd in/out of Mauldin desparately needs an increase in capacity, along with the (still???) 2-lane parts of Butler Rd. Hwy 14 gets very congested as well. I'm sure there are others, but these are then ones I'm most familiar with. Of course, this is just a symptom of growth, which is a good thing, but infrastructure needs to keep up with population.

Old 10-05-2009, 06:55 PM

511 posts, read 1,342,458 times
We actually have a plant that manufacturers kayaks in the town of "Easley". I see kayakers quite frequently on Lake Keowee as well.

Old 10-05-2009, 08:00 PM

4,657 posts, read 7,783,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateBooster View Post
Believe me, there are plenty of other places around G'ville where traffic IS a problem. Ashmore Bridge Rd in/out of Mauldin desparately needs an increase in capacity, along with the (still???) 2-lane parts of Butler Rd. Hwy 14 gets very congested as well. I'm sure there are others, but these are then ones I'm most familiar with. Of course, this is just a symptom of growth, which is a good thing, but infrastructure needs to keep up with population.
I moved here from Los Angeles; there is not a traffic problem here. lol

Old 10-06-2009, 03:23 AM

745 posts, read 1,973,730 times
There's a fair amount of whitewater within a reasonable drive. There's a river right on the border (Chatuga? Something like that) and western NC and northern GA have a lot of destinations.

Greenville is becoming a sprawl,and as someone who has lived in the massive sprawl of west central FL for years, I can tell you it gets worse over time. I'm hoping that by the time the sprawl gets to our remote property out past Travelers Rest, I'll either be dead or too old to care.

Old 10-06-2009, 05:34 AM

1,511 posts, read 2,107,297 times
There is unchecked sprawl here - planners realize it, but seem to be powerless to prevent it.

Old 10-06-2009, 07:30 AM

663 posts, read 1,201,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeoid View Post
There is unchecked sprawl here - planners realize it, but seem to be powerless to prevent it.
It breaks my heart to hear so many new residents insist on building new homes when there are so many nice ones on the market. It seems the demand drives the sprawl, even though that demand appears to have diminished lately...there's a huge empty development behind my neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area