Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 03:12 PM

298 posts, read 682,923 times

Advertisements

If I wanted to give away a couple of frozen turkeys, where would I go?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2011, 03:50 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,120,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadetree930 View Post
If I wanted to give away a couple of frozen turkeys, where would I go?
Try Greer Relief. I know they feed the homeless.

Greer Relief - A United Way Supported Agency

Old 11-28-2011, 08:45 PM

5,518 posts, read 15,291,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
Is it less expensive than Save-A-Lot?
Some products are similarly priced, but it is difficult (if not impossible without coupons and big sales) to find better prices elsewhere in the Upstate on products like cereal, salad dressing, dry seasoning packets, dry soup mix, stuffing/dressing, etc...

Regarding expiration dates, some food is just as edible and tasty well after the printed date.

Old 11-28-2011, 10:33 PM

6,888 posts, read 22,431,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
The unfortunate reason there are so many people shopping there during the first week is thanks to unemployment checks.
Unemployment checks are received in this state weekly so this has nothing to do with the first week shopping trip. That is due to SNAP (food stamps) which are deposited on the first of the month and possibly other welfare programs, but not unemployment payments.

Old 11-28-2011, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
Unemployment checks are received in this state weekly so this has nothing to do with the first week shopping trip. That is due to SNAP (food stamps) which are deposited on the first of the month and possibly other welfare programs, but not unemployment payments.
Thank you for the clarification. I must have heard the wrong info or incorrectly assumed it was unemployment checks. The crowds are definitely related to a welfare program (equally unfortunate, in my opinion), according to our friendly cashier last month.

Old 11-28-2011, 11:50 PM

6,888 posts, read 22,431,342 times
It was on Rock Center tonight...Rock Center with Brian Williams - Waiting for midnight, hungry families on food stamps give Walmart 'enormous spike'

I won't be making a trip there solely to go to this store that is certain.

Old 11-29-2011, 03:21 PM

2,781 posts, read 3,258,893 times
Bargains is definitely well named. You can get some stuff there for cheap. As others mentioned, watch expiration dates closely. They sell a lot of near to date and out of date stuff. They also get in huge batches of closeout stuff so sometimes you see weird flavors or varieties of items.

Some super good deals, though!

Another tip - if unusual gospel music isn't your thing, bring an mp3 player and some headphones!

Old 11-29-2011, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolstuckinNC View Post
Another tip - if unusual gospel music isn't your thing, bring an mp3 player and some headphones!
I don't remember hearing any music last time I was there. Perhaps the volume was just low enough to go unnoticed?

Old 11-29-2011, 04:03 PM

62 posts, read 148,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
If anyone is interested in this topic, check out Bargain Foods in Pelzer. They carry a large stock of various items and do a great job serving the crowds of shoppers during the first week of each month.
+1 to this. My mom shopped here when I was in grade school. We lived in Possum Kingdom (haha, yea...I know) so this was right down the road. (Well, as close as anything is to Possum Kingdom)

Old 11-29-2011, 10:21 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,120,629 times
Here's 2 pics I took the other day

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area