Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 07:44 PM

440 posts, read 772,009 times

Advertisements

If you all had to pick between Knoxville and Atlanta for a one day road trip... you would stay home instead? lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2009, 07:08 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,492,618 times
I'd say Knoxville - it's a nice enough town & in a scenic area, and like an earlier poster said, there's not much in Atlanta that's worth the headache of its traffic (except to see friends, which my partner & I are overdue for). I also hate the mind-numbing drive down there.

Old 10-12-2009, 08:33 AM

440 posts, read 772,009 times
What about Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg ? to touristy for most of you?

One of the reasons I'm leaning toward moving to Greenville is its location to other neat towns. I got a hybrid car and love to put the high MPG to good use.

Here in Portland OR, a trip to the coast or mountains is very doable maybe 21/2 hrs drive time. problem is east to west is nice, north to south is a boring drive.
3.5 hrs drive is my limit for a Sunday morning drive for breakfast.
After that I really need a reason to be driving that far.

Old 10-12-2009, 08:56 AM

2,067 posts, read 5,946,267 times
Pigeon Forge is the biggest tourist trap I have ever seen. Now I will admit I have never been to Branson, and I have a feeling it may be just as bad, but PF is awful and ugly, ugly, ugly.

In the general area though, do check out Cades Cove, which is beautiful and well worth a visit!

Great Smoky Mountains National Park - Cades Cove (U.S. National Park Service)

Old 10-12-2009, 09:12 AM

31 posts, read 81,415 times
This is one of my favorite things about Greenville. GVL is a lovely town with lots of things to do, but when you want to get out, even for just a day, there are so many great places within driving distance. Mountains, beaches, cutesy little touristy towns, big cities, historical sites, lakes, amazing parks... There is never a dull weekend around here! You all have already mentioned my favorites - Asheville, the little mountain towns (Hendersonville, Saluda, Tryon, Brevard, Bryson City, Boone, and on and on), Charleston & the beach. I don't think much of Atlanta and Charlotte myself and don't bother with them for tourist purposes.

Have a great time with your hybrid! There are tons of scenic roads around here - for example, we were on the CHerahala Skyway near Joyce Kilmer national forest this summer and it was stunning! (that's in NC, maybe 3 hours from here, so perhaps not a day trip). And the blue ridge parkway is less than an hour from here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area