Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 06:13 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,543,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjames View Post
Below is the link to SCDOT's pdf file showing the detours for when construction begins.

http://www.i385rehab.com/PDF/Laurens-County-Detours.pdf

Its truly amazing that they only show one detour that adds an extra 20 miles if you are travelling to Greenville and a lot more if you are trying to reach Fountain Inn. Why don't they (SCDOT) map out another shorter detour that only routes cars around the section that is closed rather than trying to route all the traffic up near Spartanburg on 26 and 85?? Really does not make much sense, especially since the pdf is titled "Primary Detour Routes" and they only show one detour!
I could be wrong, but I think that "official" detour is actually meant more for 18-wheelers, that might be weight-restricted from some secondary roads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2009, 08:52 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,032,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jac View Post
This whole thing does not make any sense. This is really going to hurt the businesses along that route. In fact, isn't the huge Walmart distribution center near Laurens?
Yes.. And close proximity to the Interstate was one of the primary reasons for building it there. As a matter of fact, there are several dozen industries located between Laurens and the I-185/I-385 interchange that will be completely cut off from a fast route to the southeast.

Old 01-16-2017, 08:58 PM

20 posts, read 28,055 times
With nearly a decade of use, I must come back to this thread where I thought it was "insane" (per my post) to close that stretch and give kudos. The new 385 seems to be holding up well over the years. SC should do more projects in concrete.

I frequently travel I-95 and the asphalt sections can be embarrassingly bad whereas the concrete seems to be much more consistent. Given the timing of the I-385 re-do in 2009 I guess it was all stimulus money.

Old 01-17-2017, 04:36 AM

9,501 posts, read 9,812,678 times
I agree, it is a very good constructed highway.

It's too bad, due to logistics and cost, that concrete cannot be used on all highway construction.

Old 01-17-2017, 06:58 AM

321 posts, read 406,716 times
Concrete has it's issues... sections of the 70mph I-85 through Spartanburg county are sinking.

Read: Part of I-85 roadway in Spartanburg Co. 'sinking in' - FOX Carolina 21

Most recently 2 lanes were closed for several days while crews repaired a section near exit 77.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area