Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 02:18 PM

25 posts, read 107,474 times

Advertisements

Hello,
We would like to have a nontraditional/laid back/hassle free wedding ceremony in Greenville, evening time. Just interested in having immediate family. Planning on having a huge reception out of town at a later date. I'm trying to find an 'intimate' spot downtown . .possibly in/outside a restaurant/hotel/park . . .don't foresee the ceremony taking longer then 15-20 mins. Sounds so simple but all the places I have called so far want to charge a ridiculous amount of money to reserve a spot. For example, Mary's would be a great outside spot but they want to charge $500 to use the outside spot for a ceremony/reception and then a $500 food minimum. I'm not interested in all that. I'm just looking for a spot that will let me have a very quick/intimate ceremony with immediate family and then after we all have dinner somewhere. Any ideas/suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2009, 02:21 PM

11,690 posts, read 24,689,121 times
Falls Park. Lots of people get married there. I'd have it underneath the bridge where the small grass fields are located.

Old 10-16-2009, 05:25 PM

31 posts, read 81,470 times
there's another spot down by the lower falls (in falls park) near the ruins of the old mills that people use for weddings - small but nice. Peace Center also has a very beautiful room in one of the old mill buildings - Peace Center but it might be expensive or fancier than you want.

Old 10-16-2009, 06:03 PM

347 posts, read 977,551 times
Last year I got married by a Mr. Jerry Frye (a notary public / justice of the peace, and minister). He owns the Creekside Plantation in Greenville.
It was just my husband and I and 5 guests. We had a lovely little evening ceremony outside of the beautiful house, and it was only $150 if I remember correctly (it might have even been $75, for some reason I can't remember the exact figure, but definitely no more than $150).
It was very laid-back, we wrote our own vows for him to read, and he kept it non-religious, per our wishes.

Marriages and More - Home

Page 1

(The websites aren't very helpful, but it's something at least.)

We were (and still are) very happy with how it went.

Old 10-16-2009, 06:12 PM

2,067 posts, read 5,950,837 times
You might also consider local B & B's. Some of them have beautiful grounds.

Old 10-16-2009, 07:18 PM

77 posts, read 223,494 times
we had our minister meet us at spill the beans (coffee shop)...before they moved locations. she married us right in the corner under a little lighted ficus tree. it was just the two of us + the minister. it was free, because no one knew what we were doing until afterward. we then each ate some pumpkin bundt cake that was in their cake case, bought stb mugs that we have to this day, and walked out into the rain, mr. and mrs. sadiemagnolia. if you want it really small and lowkey, you could just pick an intimate public place and not tell anyone!! it was like 15 minutes long and we spoke very quietly. it is burned in my brain and carved in my heart forever!! and it was free.

we then had a reception at edisto beach with all the bells and whistles. we have pictures from that but it was all so fussy that it still isn't as clear in my mind as the coffee shop ceremony. THAT we have no pictures of, but I know it like the palm of my hand...

Last edited by sadiemagnolia; 10-16-2009 at 07:22 PM.. Reason: add reception info

Old 10-16-2009, 08:09 PM

347 posts, read 977,551 times
awwwwww!!!

Old 10-17-2009, 09:09 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,523,384 times
Check out land owned by a university. We were married at the rose garden at the Univ of GA botanical gardens for $6 [now that was almost 30 years ago.......but it was cheap even for then]

Old 10-19-2009, 05:52 AM

25 posts, read 107,474 times
Wow, I did not anticipate all of these wonderful replies. THANK YOU!!

Old 11-30-2011, 09:28 PM

2 posts, read 14,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleEllyn View Post
Last year I got married by a Mr. Jerry Frye (a notary public / justice of the peace, and minister). He owns the Creekside Plantation in Greenville.
It was just my husband and I and 5 guests. We had a lovely little evening ceremony outside of the beautiful house, and it was only $150 if I remember correctly (it might have even been $75, for some reason I can't remember the exact figure, but definitely no more than $150).
It was very laid-back, we wrote our own vows for him to read, and he kept it non-religious, per our wishes.

Marriages and More - Home

Page 1

(The websites aren't very helpful, but it's something at least.)

We were (and still are) very happy with how it went.

This sounds awesome and so affordable. Website isn't helpful but I will give him a call
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area