U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 07:09 AM

126 posts, read 351,041 times

Advertisements

Don't worry about the bible belt talk. No one twists your arm here and there are plenty of people like yourself to associate with. I'm one of them!

The Saluda River, the dividing line between Greenville and Pickens County, is great class 1-2 kayaking, though little known because you have to pick your entry carefully and the water is a bit dirtier than most. Check all SC rivers on American Whitewater:
American Whitewater - SC State Rivers
The section titled "Saluda Dam...." is the one I mean that is closest to Greenville. Way, way closer than going to the "pretty" water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2009, 08:06 AM

345 posts, read 582,251 times
Thanks Thurx

Old 10-25-2009, 08:53 AM

Here's a comparison for you, alikair: Greenville vs Asheville - and just the people.

Asheville is very arts/crafts oriented with lots of people proud of their hippie style. Far from the bible belt buckle, definitely, though the state is still in the belt.

Greenville is more corporate, but for weekends the people like outdoor activities focused more on exercise as opposed to reading the Sunday paper and visiting galleries or city parks. There are 3 disc golf courses on Greenville city park land. Asheville has just one.

Go to Meetup for each of the two cities (and for Charlotte and Knoxville too, for that matter) and view the types of Meetup groups:
Find a Meetup Group - Meetup.com
Greenville has 2 groups focused only on hiking and one on kayaking. It seems that Asheville has just one hiking group. Yet Asheville is in a beautiful location with just as much hiking and kayaking available as Greenville! Asheville does have a kayaking Meetup, but they've had just one event scheduled since last April, so its functionally a dead group! This small statistic is, I think, characteristic of the natures of the two cities.

There is a very different "group mind" orientation in the two cities. You'll notice the difference immediately when you visit the two downtown communities of these cities, especially on a weekend.

Good luck.

Old 10-25-2009, 09:02 AM

Hey thurx, thanks for all your input.
Could you tell me what river would most Greenville folks go to? (not greater then class 3)

Old 10-25-2009, 09:20 AM

For easy paddling, class 1 max, people go 50 miles north into N. Carolina on the French Broad River. There are several legs that can be done there. For more difficulty, the Green River.

Check out this Meetup: The Greenville Canoe/Kayak Meetup (Greenville, SC) - Meetup.com
to see pictures and events on the French Broad.

Check the Yahoo Group: Foothills Paddling Club for more adventurous kayaking:
foothillspaddlingclub : Foothills Paddling Club Inc -Upstate, SC

Old 11-05-2009, 10:43 PM

1 posts, read 1,203 times
I noticed in your message you said you used to live in Oregon. I currently live in Bellevue, Wa. My best friend, her husband and I are looking into Moving into the Greenville area. I've never been there so I am tryiing to get a few insiders opinions on the matter. Where would be good places to live? My friend and I currently run an in-home daycare and her husband is a plumber.

Old 11-05-2009, 11:32 PM

I will be heading there with 2 other guys this upcoming thanksgiving weekend. will are scoping out Charlotte, Greenville and Knoxville. I will let everyone know first impressions.

Old 11-06-2009, 01:51 AM

10,358 posts, read 20,653,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeephunny View Post
I noticed in your message you said you used to live in Oregon. I currently live in Bellevue, Wa. My best friend, her husband and I are looking into Moving into the Greenville area. I've never been there so I am tryiing to get a few insiders opinions on the matter. Where would be good places to live? My friend and I currently run an in-home daycare and her husband is a plumber.
I'd recommend looking at the southern and eastern sections of Greenville County along with the Powdersville area in northeastern Anderson County.

Old 11-06-2009, 06:58 AM

Powdersville or Powderville ? When looking up the right spelling, I found this interesting tidbit on Wikipedia.

"According to local legend, the area of Powdersville received its name (that's Powdersville with an "s", and not Powderville) because the general stores sold gunpowder and the powder could be seen spread about the town. So when entering the town, people would say, "This must be Powdersville."

Goggle earth shows the town without the "s"

Old 11-06-2009, 07:46 AM

5,473 posts, read 13,663,044 times
It is definitely written and spoken, "Powdersville".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area