Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 08:12 PM

440 posts, read 772,481 times

Advertisements

I will be visiting Charlotte, Greenville, Asheville, Knoxville and maybe if I have the time Chattanooga this upcoming thanksgiving weekend.
A total of about 7 days.

I have learned a lot from asking questions on this forum and reading other people’s post.

Now is time for me to see first hand if I would like to move here.
One of my biggest concerns is the people, and more importantly will I fit in.
I am very much looking forward to experiencing this “southern hospitality”. But I am also concern that some of the towns, especially Greenville may be way to religious for me.
Even though I do not attend church, I like people that do.
But with statements like, “Greenville is the belt buckle of the Bible-belt” That maybe a little hardcore for me.

I plan on visiting some restaurants and walking around the main streets, and hitting the malls.
I also read that a lot of stores are closed on Sundays?

Other thing that is important to me is the great outdoors. With a big emphasis on the rivers. My hobbies are fishing and kayaking. Love whitewater, nothing crazy, class 2 or 3 tops.
Things like zoos or museums or tourist attractions, I will probable pass on unless they’re something really special.

Open to any suggestions on what to see and do. Thanks!

PS I will post this message in other cites as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2009, 09:17 PM

76 posts, read 175,731 times
Hi,

I am really interested in responses to this post because I feel similarly.

Religion is a big concern for me because my family (from Va and NC) are very religious and fear I am going to hell because I do not attend church and have a Buddha statue in my flower garden

I hope folks in Greenville are overall very open to those who hold all kinds of religious views.

Visiting: My husband will be there next Sunday, and it never occurred to me that many of the shops might be closed. This leads me to ask, are wine and beer sales prohibited on Sundays?

Looking forward to responses...

Christine

Old 10-16-2009, 09:22 PM

11,689 posts, read 24,679,545 times
I was born, raised and still live in Greenville. I don't attend church and voted for Obama. Who knew...

-Wine and beer sales are allowed in the City of Greenville I believe. The only places closed on Sunday's are a few local retailers and Chick-Fil-A.

Old 10-16-2009, 10:50 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I noticed there looked to be a picture high in the mountains that over looked Greenville. Anyone know where that is? also, is there a way to get a view of some of the more well known rivers? without actually floating down one?

Old 10-17-2009, 05:38 AM

745 posts, read 2,225,916 times
Go to sciway.net. Scroll down the left side to 'Sports, Recreation'. Under that, you will find, well, sports and recreation! Under rivers, there's quite a bit about the Chattooga River, which is right on the border. AFAIK, that's probably about it for white water without going to NC. There are some smaller trout streams up in that area as well. As ga9email said, you'll definitely want to drive along Hwy 11- that's where all of the mountain access is. There are enough hiking trails to keep you busy for some time, and many waterfalls to see. That's what attracted us to the area in the first place. We wanted country and mountains, but we need to be near a city for work. I love western NC, but there's no work in my field. In Greenville, there is enough industry (at least after the recession is over) but the mountains are close at hand.

Truth in advertising: I don't live in Greenville (yet) but we visit often since we own property in the upstate. I've only seen one person spouting religion on the sidewalk in our numerous trips there, and I've never had anyone ask what church I go to. To me, downtown Greenville is markedly different in that regard than the outlying rural areas. I was once told by a local that if you were brought to downtown blindfolded, and weren't told where you were, you would have a hard time guessing. I agree. On any given day you will see people of other races, nationalities, and most likely, religions, all interacting and getting along just fine.

Old 10-17-2009, 09:31 AM
jac

389 posts, read 1,003,494 times
I keep hearing this comment by people afraid that Greenville may be too religious. Other than a few people asking where I went to church, no one has ever mentioned religion to me in the 3+ years I have been here. When I lived in Oregon, I always had people knocking at my door to discuss their religious beliefs with me. Oh, and many cities in the south claim to be the buckle of the Bible belt.

As for your trip, you are taking some of my favorite drives and visiting some of my favorite cities. We just went to Flat Rock, NC yesterday to pick apples. It is just such a beautiful area. Be forewarned that the mountains here are very different than what you are accustomed to in Oregon. They don't loom quite so large here, but they are still very beautiful. One place you may be interested in visiting is the Ocoee Whitewater Center in Ducktown, Tn. They won't be racing in November, but it is an interesting place to visit.

Old 10-18-2009, 01:43 PM

I need to point out, I don't mind being around church folks at all. I just don't want it to be overwhelming. Like if the super bowl was coming to Greenville and everywhere you went, it was the talk of the town

See the difference? Heck, my brother who is a Jehovah Witness lives with me, and other then a debate on religion once in a while, were good.
Now If I lived in a house full of JW'S whoa, there might be a problem LOL!

Old 10-18-2009, 03:55 PM

5,893 posts, read 12,771,740 times
I have noticed since living here that some stores don't open until 1:30 on Sunday, allowing time for their employees to go to church. Others may be closed entirely. It doesn't mean that the whole town shuts down, however.

Old 10-18-2009, 08:17 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,404,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alikair View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. I noticed there looked to be a picture high in the mountains that over looked Greenville. Anyone know where that is? also, is there a way to get a view of some of the more well known rivers? without actually floating down one?
I think you are seeing the Blue Ridge mountains of NC in the distance.

Old 10-24-2009, 10:55 PM

22 posts, read 44,412 times
We moved down here 8 years ago. We are both northerners and are of retirement age. People here are very pleasant. Not too in a hurry. And friendly. Lots of people have transferred here from all over, mainly the northeast recently. We've thought about moving elsewhere but where else can you find this size home for the price? No where.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area