Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 06:04 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,508,433 times

Advertisements

We saw the ocassional palmetto bug [the big roach] much more on our home on a slab than on one with a foundation. It was worse during drought times and I think they were looking for water. We used the roach traps carefully placed.

Concerning the borax - absolutely right. Many years ago during post college poverty days we once rented an old house that *eek* had an old well in the crawlspace and the palmetto bugs were much more than "the ocassional" - that, and the fact that she replaced a wood shake roof with metal and did not account for allowing the house to breathe.........Box of borax took care of the issue though the roaches were really wigged out before they died.

Right now we have a nicer house but the wolf spiders are trying to come in from outside and we have found a few of those. Thing is, our house backs up to woods, we have dogs, and I am not one for killing all the natural bugs in my yard....Actually re-reading the old classic "Silent Spring"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2009, 09:10 AM

77 posts, read 223,209 times
[quote=jazzyk298;11286851]Thanks guys.

Do they leave any signs of infestation so we know what we're dealing with during a home inspection???

quote]

yes, you will see excrement from palmettos. it looks like blackish brown soft ice cream sprinkles (ew, i know, but couldn't think of a comparable size??)

Old 10-22-2009, 09:47 AM

2,261 posts, read 5,814,189 times
[quote=sadiemagnolia;11297397]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzyk298 View Post
Thanks guys.

Do they leave any signs of infestation so we know what we're dealing with during a home inspection???

quote]

yes, you will see excrement from palmettos. it looks like blackish brown soft ice cream sprinkles (ew, i know, but couldn't think of a comparable size??)
you sure you're not looking at mouse poop? i've never seen anything like that unless there was mice.

Old 10-22-2009, 10:52 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,630,872 times
[quote=NoodlesKnowles;11297914]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadiemagnolia View Post

you sure you're not looking at mouse poop? i've never seen anything like that unless there was mice.
Here's a comparison chart:
Droppings, Mouse, Rats, Rodents, Cockroaches, Possum

It's smaller and as sadiemagnolia pointed out is more tube shaped with round ends. (very similar to ice cream sprinkles!). Mice droppings tend to be more football shaped.

Old 10-22-2009, 10:59 AM

ewwwwww...yes i'm sure. i just had an 'incident.' it was nightmarish. I HATE ROACHES.

Old 10-22-2009, 02:06 PM

745 posts, read 2,223,597 times
I remember when we first moved to FL from CT, and I had never experienced roaches in the house before. You can imagine my horror when I saw a nice fat 2" FL palmetto bug! More unnerving still was that as I began to chase it, it took off and flew! They have an Air Force!

Our old house had a lot of them, until a friend told me to go up on the roof and look in the plumbing vent stack at night. There were hundreds of them in there! They go down the vent and come up through the sink- they don't mind swimming through the trap at all. I put fiberglass screen over the stack, and it cut the roaches down about 90%. The house we're in now is much tighter, and we rarely see them.

Old 10-22-2009, 02:41 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,508,433 times
They also like gutters - that is what we saw with some clogged gutters they would come down at night. So keep those gutters clean!

Old 10-23-2009, 08:55 PM

156 posts, read 354,880 times
Thanks guys...we saw the house again and they are actually MOUSE traps...whole other dilemma...sigh. I'm hoping it's because the house was vacant for so long.

Old 10-23-2009, 09:57 PM

2,261 posts, read 5,814,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzyk298 View Post
Thanks guys...we saw the house again and they are actually MOUSE traps...whole other dilemma...sigh. I'm hoping it's because the house was vacant for so long.
one hyphenated word, D-CON, worked for me in two different houses, don't cheap out, buy d-con!!! not kidding it works!

Old 10-24-2009, 07:23 AM

if you don't want to use poison b/c of your child, there are other options. i cannot attest to them b/c we have not had mice...but here's one link i found:
Eco-Friendly Mouse Control
good luck and good riddance to the mice!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
View detailed profiles of: