U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 07:09 PM

2,259 posts, read 2,130,663 times

Advertisements

I moved here from Sherman Oaks, CA about 18 months ago. If it wasn't for my position here, I would be out of here in a heartbeat. Thankfully my denomination knows I don't like it here and they are actively working to place me elsewhere.

As compared to LA, it is like night and day. LA was vibrant, alive and always something going on. In Greenville the only thing going on are "family friendly" activities and church. What the hell? I may be a minister but that doesn't mean I need to be pious 24/7 - life is to be lived, not observed and about providing comfort to those who get out and have fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2009, 08:17 PM

5,681 posts, read 9,945,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
I moved here from Sherman Oaks, CA about 18 months ago. If it wasn't for my position here, I would be out of here in a heartbeat. Thankfully my denomination knows I don't like it here and they are actively working to place me elsewhere.

As compared to LA, it is like night and day. LA was vibrant, alive and always something going on. In Greenville the only thing going on are "family friendly" activities and church. What the hell? I may be a minister but that doesn't mean I need to be pious 24/7 - life is to be lived, not observed and about providing comfort to those who get out and have fun.
You're talking about Greenville, South Carolina, right? However, I'm not quite sure that a comparison of Greenville to Los Angeles is even an apples to apples comparison in the first place. Not quite sure what you were expecting.

Old 10-25-2009, 01:00 AM

1,941 posts, read 3,929,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnnee View Post
Wanting to move that way myself boyfriend is from Andrews, SC. Not Greenville, but lower country (towards Conway). I am ready for the slower pace myself, but I know the culture shock will sink in soon. I am use to seeing all races on a daily basis so that will be something to get use to. I am black and not use to communties that are just "black and white". That's weird to me, but oh well, every state is different. Boyfriend is white, so I know that might be an issue as well. Sorry born and raised in California, so its all I know. People don't look and they don't care. Oh well what can you do.

Not relocating till the economy gets better and we may move closer to Raleigh because I work in IT and I know this state has NO IT Companies. I live down the street from Yahoo, so it wll be a challenge job wise. I guess its the price you have to pay. Hopefully we can move towards Greenville, all your comments make me want to move their now.
You seem to believe that all of South Carolina is exactly the same, so let me ask you: is all of California the same? If I meet someone from Sacramento, and they talk about all of the cow pastures around the city, should I assume that Los Angeles must have a lot of cow pastures too? Of course not. Do people who live in Loma Linda act, think, and believe exactly like people who live in San Francisco? No, they don't. The same variance goes for South Carolina. I don't know a thing about Andrews, SC. I have maybe heard of it a time or two, but I had no idea where it was located until you mentioned it. Regardless, Andrews is worlds away from Greenville. And I guarantee you it's very different, too - in size, social structure, vibe, etc. Apples and oranges, just like Sacramento and Los Angeles.

So if you are interested in Greenville - great! But leave your preconceived notions about South Carolina, or your limited experience with other parts of South Carolina, behind. Greenville is different, in a dynamic way. This is my advice for everyone, so I am not singling you out.

And by the way, being an interracial couple in Greenville is not a problem. Those who post here who are part of an interracial couple will say that they have had no problems in Greenville. We actually have a lot more diversity than you probably think we do, especially if you're comparing us to a stereotypical Southern city.

Old 10-25-2009, 10:00 AM

42 posts, read 110,947 times
thurx, thanks for getting the thread back on track!

Old 10-26-2009, 06:31 AM

1,556 posts, read 3,155,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnnee View Post
Wanting to move that way myself boyfriend is from Andrews, SC. Not Greenville, but lower country (towards Conway). I am ready for the slower pace myself, but I know the culture shock will sink in soon. I am use to seeing all races on a daily basis so that will be something to get use to. I am black and not use to communties that are just "black and white". That's weird to me, but oh well, every state is different. Boyfriend is white, so I know that might be an issue as well. Sorry born and raised in California, so its all I know. People don't look and they don't care. Oh well what can you do.

Not relocating till the economy gets better and we may move closer to Raleigh because I work in IT and I know this state has NO IT Companies. I live down the street from Yahoo, so it wll be a challenge job wise. I guess its the price you have to pay. Hopefully we can move towards Greenville, all your comments make me want to move their now.
Do some research, research and more research. I have lived and worked in more then one area of SC. Upon my relocation I spoke to people in other towns around SC and asked for their opinion on where I should purchase my home. They told me Greenville was the place to be because it has grown and has BMW, Michelin etc. (jobs). Let's put it this way, some of their opinion about the Greenville area was right and some of their opinion about the Greenville area was wrong. Very conservative (I am sure that your boyfriend has already mentioned this to you)......coming from California to SC may be a culture shock for you. As you said I was also used to living around every race/ethnicity on the planet while growing up in NYC (melting pot). Besides the spanish and few other ethnicities that are settling in the area Greenville, SC is still very black and white compared to what you are used to in Cali.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area