U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 03:51 PM

42 posts, read 110,947 times

Advertisements

I have been reading posts about Greenville for a long time. I see a lot of posts about moving from Northeast, Southeast, or Midwest to Greenville. I don't see much from former California people that have moved there. It is something I have been condideing for a while. Are there any former CA folk that could respond as to why they moved there and what positived they where were looking for and did they find them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2009, 06:58 PM

4,657 posts, read 7,775,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wandering101 View Post
I have been reading posts about Greenville for a long time. I see a lot of posts about moving from Northeast, Southeast, or Midwest to Greenville. I don't see much from former California people that have moved there. It is something I have been condideing for a while. Are there any former CA folk that could respond as to why they moved there and what positived they where were looking for and did they find them?

My wife and I moved here from Burbank almost 3 years ago and looooove it; way better quality of life. Weather's better, people are nicer, real estate is cheaper, much more family oriented and conservative Christian values. The cool thing is that other than Trader Joes and In-n-Out we have everything here that we did in LA; brand new Whole Foods, etc. Plus downtown Greenville is probably the nicest downtown in America.

We have friends from Sacramento that moved here; a family from the Inland Empire belongs to the same church that we do, another guy in our development grew up in the valley, we met a family from Van Nuys that moved to Greer and I know a girl who moved here with her mom and son from Rancho Cucamonga.

Old 10-23-2009, 07:06 PM

5,681 posts, read 9,945,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
My wife and I moved here from Burbank almost 3 years ago and looooove it; way better quality of life. Weather's better, people are nicer, real estate is cheaper, much more family oriented and conservative Christian values. The cool thing is that other than Trader Joes and In-n-Out we have everything here that we did in LA; brand new Whole Foods, etc. Plus downtown Greenville is probably the nicest downtown in America.

We have friends from Sacramento that moved here; a family from the Inland Empire belongs to the same church that we do, another guy in our development grew up in the valley, we met a family from Van Nuys that moved to Greer and I know a girl who moved here with her mom and son from Rancho Cucamonga.
Don't forget about JITB (Jack in the Box) and Red Robin!

Old 10-24-2009, 12:33 AM

3,859 posts, read 2,712,321 times
We moved here from Orange County a year ago and we're very happy too. We wanted to leave CA after 12 years because of the housing crash, unemployment, higher taxes, horrible traffic, bad place to own a business & environmentalists blocking normal things like building roads, etc.

We looked for a place with moderate weather, close to the mountains, close enough to drive to the ocean, low cost of living, conservative & family values, good economy, laid back lifestyle, no traffic. Greenville fit the bill and we found a house in Easley.

We're happy we made the move. Love the people, love driving the country roads, love downtown Greenville, and so glad we are not paying the CA prices/taxes any more. We were living among a lot of fake people in Orange County (fake body parts, fake mortgages, fake bank accts) so it is nice to be among real folks again.

Old 10-24-2009, 01:33 AM

275 posts, read 1,579,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wandering101 View Post
Moved here from San Jose about 15 months ago. We love it and think its a much better place to raise our 6 year old daughter. We owned a nice house in San Jose, but here we have more land, lower cost of living (including much lower property taxes), and we live in a community with children our daughter's age she can play with. My parents moved here with us, so we did not leave family behind in California. We miss some of our friends, but that's about the only thing we miss!

Old 10-24-2009, 10:17 AM

42 posts, read 110,947 times
Thanks to all for their responses. All were positive. No one mentioned weather so I assume that is easy enough to adjust to.

Old 10-24-2009, 11:38 AM

850 posts, read 1,367,256 times
Wanting to move that way myself boyfriend is from Andrews, SC. Not Greenville, but lower country (towards Conway). I am ready for the slower pace myself, but I know the culture shock will sink in soon. I am use to seeing all races on a daily basis so that will be something to get use to. I am black and not use to communties that are just "black and white". That's weird to me, but oh well, every state is different. Boyfriend is white, so I know that might be an issue as well. Sorry born and raised in California, so its all I know. People don't look and they don't care. Oh well what can you do.

Not relocating till the economy gets better and we may move closer to Raleigh because I work in IT and I know this state has NO IT Companies. I live down the street from Yahoo, so it wll be a challenge job wise. I guess its the price you have to pay. Hopefully we can move towards Greenville, all your comments make me want to move their now.

Old 10-24-2009, 11:50 AM

5,681 posts, read 9,945,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnnee View Post
Wanting to move that way myself boyfriend is from Andrews, SC. Not Greenville, but lower country (towards Conway). I am ready for the slower pace myself, but I know the culture shock will sink in soon. I am use to seeing all races on a daily basis so that will be something to get use to. I am black and not use to communties that are just "black and white". That's weird to me, but oh well, every state is different. Boyfriend is white, so I know that might be an issue as well. Sorry born and raised in California, so its all I know. People don't look and they don't care. Oh well what can you do.

Not relocating till the economy gets better and we may move closer to Raleigh because I work in IT and I know this state has NO IT Companies. I live down the street from Yahoo, so it wll be a challenge job wise. I guess its the price you have to pay. Hopefully we can move towards Greenville, all your comments make me want to move their now.
Don't let the just "black and white" thing put you off - there are lots of interesting people to welcome into your life around here! BTW - just got back from a bit of shopping, and actually, the collection of folks was quite diverse.

You're right, there aren't any/many large IT companies based in SC, but there are lots of large companies based or with large operations here that I'm sure employ quite large IT staff. GE and Fluor Engineering in the Greenville area come to mind...

Old 10-24-2009, 01:43 PM

4,657 posts, read 7,775,255 times
Quote:

I'm not sure I understand your post. My wife grew up in LA, we're a mixed marriage, with a biracial child, and is not an issue here; at all. Greenville is very modern, cosmopolitan and diverse.

Old 10-24-2009, 03:43 PM

3,509 posts, read 5,557,404 times
Quote:
Depending upon the type of work you do, you may want to start moving towards a field that can facilitate remote work. I own a small IT company and have spent the last few years getting things organized in such a way that I can live anywhere. My client's really don't care where I am as long as I answer the phone and deliver what I promised.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area