Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2009, 03:40 PM

12 posts, read 21,649 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,
My mother will be moving to Travelers Rest/Greenville area in February/March of 2010. I have lots of questions and appreciate any help you can give me for her.
She will be moving in with my mother in law sister and her husband and they will have her a job. So that is taking care of for now. Here is where the other issues come in. She is in her late 40's and I have been taking care of her all my life.
Well she doesn’t drive and would like to know about the bus systems. The web site wasn't that helpful to me. All so what area would be best for her to move to after a while with a bus system.
Her credit isn't good but she has good rental history. All lot of the apartments’ said they want you to make 3x the rent, (well she will not be) with the ones I have been looking at. So any decent apartment for us to look at will be helpful.
She is also hard of hearing, is there any places that help people with disabilities in the area? Usually her insurance does not help with the cost of repair or maintenance with her hearing piece.
I will be coming with her when she moves to help her get settled. any places any one can think of that we should check out at that time would be great.
I would also like to know what bank would anyone recommend.
I think that is it for now, thank you for reading and helping me make sure my mother will be safe and able to take care of herself.
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2009, 08:32 PM

216 posts, read 412,221 times
The city of Greenville has a very limited bus system that does NOT go out to Traveler's Rest, and stops running at 6:30 every evening. My sister told me there was talk about having a bus go up White Horse Rd as far as Greenville Tech's NW Campus, but I have no idea whether that's even true. The bottom line is that if your mother is going to rely on the bus, she will need to live in Greenville and check with GTA before moving to make sure her new address is on a bus route.

There are apartment complexes where a solid rental history trumps credit. But, they're pretty strict about the minimum income requirements. Because of the economy, some complexes lowered their monthly income requirements to be 2.5 times the rent.

If she won't even be making that, then she has 3 choices. 1) Get a roommate 2) Go to the Greenville Housing Authority to apply for income-based public housing - different from Section 8, but still a very long wait 3) Rent an apartment from one of the LOCALLY OWNED real estate companies like Tinsley Realty. Tinsley rents everything from expensive condos to dirt cheap duplex apartments that look kept up and maintained little better than slums.

Yes, there are places that help people with disabilities. As for banks, if your mother has bad credit her best bet might be one of the community credit unions. Most will at least give someone a savings account and a regular ATM card. Other than writing checks, everything that can be done with a checking account and check card can be done with a savings account and ATM card.

Quote:
Originally Posted by preapls View Post
Hello everyone,
My mother will be moving to Travelers Rest/Greenville area in February/March of 2010. I have lots of questions and appreciate any help you can give me for her.
She will be moving in with my mother in law sister and her husband and they will have her a job. So that is taking care of for now. Here is where the other issues come in. She is in her late 40's and I have been taking care of her all my life.
Well she doesn’t drive and would like to know about the bus systems. The web site wasn't that helpful to me. All so what area would be best for her to move to after a while with a bus system.
Her credit isn't good but she has good rental history. All lot of the apartments’ said they want you to make 3x the rent, (well she will not be) with the ones I have been looking at. So any decent apartment for us to look at will be helpful.
She is also hard of hearing, is there any places that help people with disabilities in the area? Usually her insurance does not help with the cost of repair or maintenance with her hearing piece.
I will be coming with her when she moves to help her get settled. any places any one can think of that we should check out at that time would be great.
I would also like to know what bank would anyone recommend.
I think that is it for now, thank you for reading and helping me make sure my mother will be safe and able to take care of herself.
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area