Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 06:45 PM

83 posts, read 154,129 times

Advertisements

I agree with you, gsupstate. I would much prefer a REI store to a Bass Pro Shop; BPS is always so tacky and over the top looking from the outside...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2011, 07:02 PM

3,549 posts, read 6,631,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
I've been in REI and I've been in BPS. BPS is not my kind of store....it is too focused on hunting, guns and knives.....basic Coleman camping gear. Not my speed at all.
I MUCH prefer the more urban explorer attitude of REI......the clothing brands and better brands of camping / kayaking gear.

The two chains DEFINTELY target two different and distinct demographics, sort of like Wal-Mart and Target. I fall into the REI/Target demographic.
I agree. I like both, but not for the same things. They carry some similar products, but at a completely different level.

Old 05-11-2011, 08:01 PM

145 posts, read 354,616 times
Target is just a womans Walmart... I have never been in a REI though

Old 05-12-2011, 07:18 AM

9,359 posts, read 9,649,649 times
There is plenty of opportunity for a Cabela's to open in our area now that BPS has passed us up. The nearest one is in Louisiana, so the southeast area is wide open for them.

Old 05-12-2011, 07:43 AM

506 posts, read 1,215,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KClookingatSC View Post
Target is just a far less depressing and much cleaner Walmart... I have never been in a REI though
Fixed that for you.

Old 05-12-2011, 08:06 AM

1,280 posts, read 1,386,017 times
I'm familiar with both stores. Apart from a vague "outdoor recreation" label, you really can't compare Bass Pro Shop and REI. Unless you mean fly fishing, REI carries no hunting or fishing supplies, which is obviously Bass Pro Shop's bread and butter. REI is the go to place for rock climbing/snow skiing/kayaking/bicycling equipment and accessories. I think Bass Pro would do more business here.

Old 05-12-2011, 09:57 AM

5,517 posts, read 15,285,192 times
I think Bass Pro Shops will do well in Asheville considering the region's numerous outdoor recreational opportunities and steady flow of tourists. It will certainly be a significant shot in the arm for their struggling local economy and Biltmore Square Mall has a staggering 40% vacancy rate. For most Upstate residents, the drive is much shorter and more pleasant than traveling north of Charlotte.

As mentioned elsewhere, Greenville is already heavily saturated by multiple large outdoor sports stores, so it would have been tough to justify adding another major brand to the mix.

Having said that, there are other big names out there, like Gander Mountain, Cabela's, and Sportsman's Warehouse. I'd personally love to see an Orvis outfitter shop or one similar to it somewhere in town (preferably downtown).

Old 05-15-2011, 08:11 AM

21,003 posts, read 26,990,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
As mentioned elsewhere, Greenville is already heavily saturated by multiple large outdoor sports stores, so it would have been tough to justify adding another major brand to the mix.
Greenville is saturated by too many basic sporting goods stores: Academy Sports and Outdoors, Dick's Sporting Goods, and Sports Authority. It does not have any large outdoor sports stores yet. Small independent stores do not count.

The rumor of Bass Pro Shops coming to the Asheville market is for that region. Western North Carolina and upstate South Carolina are two separate regions. It is possible for Bass Pro Shops to open a store in the upstate, but it will need to be in a location with some distance away from Greenville.

Cabela's, Bass Pro Shop's direct competitor, is yet to expand its footprint into the Carolinas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area