U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 04:46 PM

1,513 posts, read 2,920,207 times

Advertisements

I never get it. I love SC, I really do. Every time I go there I am blown away not only by the beauty, but by the extremely kind people.

It's not for everyone to live in a place where you are out of place if you don't go to church Sunday (I wish it was like that everywhere). If you don't like the fact that most South Carolinians still value God, Country, and family above all else, well, it probably isn't the place for you.

I personally would move in a second (and will apply for jobs there when I graduate), but I could understand how an atheist or non-Christian could get a little unhinged at the sight of churches, and at hearing people ask about which church one goes to...

I've never experienced anything like that in SC (or anywhere else), although at the checkout the cashier has asked me where I go to church plenty of times. I like it alot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2009, 05:17 PM

1,556 posts, read 3,156,416 times
I can completely understand where the poster is coming from. Just because people do not want pushy people bothering them about religion does not mean that they do not believe in God. It is possible to believe in God and live righteously without attending church on Sunday. Certain discussions like religion are best left alone because they tend to turn into heated discussions. While living in Greenville occasionally people would bring the topic up by asking me what church I go to. But in my opinion it was not overwhelming to the point where it would make someone considering relocating there think twice.

Old 10-26-2009, 07:53 PM

76 posts, read 153,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkBorn View Post
Certain discussions like religion are best left alone because they tend to turn into heated discussions.
That is exactly how I feel, and obviously this was one post that was sure to insult a few....but I posted because it always surprises me when someone asks about personal beliefs. I would never ask someone casually, "Are you an organ donor?" or "Are you a democrat?" or "Do you give to charity?" any more than I would ask, "Do you believe Jesus died on the Cross for you?"

When people are like that, it is off-putting to me.

Why ask the question unless some judgement of worthiness is attached? Or is it pure nosiness? Or seen as an opportunity to change someone's way of life?

Anyway, it's not a reason to stay out of a community, so for those of you saying maybe we shouldn't move to Greenville, please, don't blow my post out of proportion. I'm a kind, generous and compassionate person whether I go to church or not. I'll simply think of some good one-liners to counter the questions. I lived 40 years in Virginia, and 2 in WV, so I know know how the rest of this type of conversation goes. I shall avoid any reference to religion in the future when I post here. Thank you.

Old 10-26-2009, 09:04 PM

345 posts, read 580,421 times
I do find it strange how Greenville can be so religiously orientated and yet still have such a high crime rate. Makes me wonder if there isn't some kind of contradiction here?

Old 10-27-2009, 04:11 AM

2 posts, read 3,033 times
I once had a customer who came into the store where I worked a few times a week. He was a basically a nice man, but asked me at least once a week if I had been saved. I get that question a lot, but with this man it got really weird. One day he asked if I would pray with him to get Jesus into my heart. I told him I was working and really felt that it was inappropriate for the work place. He asked me when I was going to have a break or lunch and that we could do it then. I work very hard and am the only means of support for my family, and the last thing I want to do with my little 30 minuet lunch break is have a zealot pray over me. I do appreciate what these people are trying to do, Penn of Penn and Teller once describe it like this.
"These people are trying to do what they think is right. They genuinely think you are going to hell when you die and are trying to help you. It's like if you saw someone about to be hit by a bus, you would at least warn them. While I appreciate them trying to push me out of the way of the big hell bus, I don't think it will hurt me because I don't think it exists."
I believe that every one has the right to believe as they will, but don’t force it on me. I’m certainly open to the possibility, but I have seen no proof in my own life. I sometimes wish I could have that kind of blind faith, but I don’t. I once had a serious religious discussion with a very nice young man I worked with. He expressed his views and listened to mine (a rarity among Christians in my experience) when we were done listening to each others views he ask “How can you live like that, thinking that we go back to nothing, that would drive me crazy or make me angry” I told him “Sometimes it hard, I have no one to answer to but myself, and no forgiveness but that I can give to myself. But I think it makes me a better person then I would be otherwise, as I can’t be forgive for the wrongs I’ve done in my life by just asking to be forgiven, and because there is no one to forgive me but me, it makes me consider my actions more carefully.”
That seemed to confuse him a bit, his opinion was that if most people think they were not being judged for their actions by a higher power would do more wrong, not less. But I believe that if fear of an ultimate judgment is all that makes you behave like a decent human being, then you are not really a decent human being. To me it’s like saying the only reason not to kill someone is because you are afraid of going to jail, well that doesn’t mean you not a killer, it just means you’re a coward. An example is, I would never cheat on my husband, not because I fear hell but because it would cause him pain and I wouldn’t want to hurt him, and his pain would cancel out any momentary pleasure I got from a fling.
My question is, What kind of deity would send some one to eternal suffering merely for questioning something they can’t see, touch, or feel. I’m thinking not a very good one, and if the Christian god is good he wouldn’t do such a thing. I'm sorry I've run on a bit, but I tend to be verbose when it comes to this topic.

Last edited by fadiekay; 10-27-2009 at 04:16 AM.. Reason: misplace code from cut and paste

Old 10-27-2009, 06:04 AM

663 posts, read 1,200,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alikair View Post
I do find it strange how Greenville can be so religiously orientated and yet still have such a high crime rate. Makes me wonder if there isn't some kind of contradiction here?
I think the word contrast would be a more appropriate word than contradiction. You'd be hard pressed to show a direct link between those two statistics. There are poor parts of town and there are people who value their faith, that's all.

Old 10-27-2009, 07:51 AM

345 posts, read 580,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrocker View Post
I think the word contrast would be a more appropriate word than contradiction. You'd be hard pressed to show a direct link between those two statistics. There are poor parts of town and there are people who value their faith, that's all.
My point exactly. there is no direct link. I don't think Greenville has gun tootn bible pushing gangsters.
But I also don't think the 40 percent that claim to be non religious are doing 100 percent of the crime.
Something does not seem to add up.

I would expect a lot less crime from such a religious community thats all.

Old 10-27-2009, 07:58 AM

5,681 posts, read 9,948,361 times
Quote:
My point exactly. there is no direct link. I don't think Greenville has gun tootn bible pushing gangsters.
But I also don't think the 40 percent that claim to be non religious are doing 100 percent of the crime.
Something does not seem to add up.

I'm don't run for statistics every time I'm debating something - but I've lived in many cities in the Southeast, and crime is so much less prevalent here than anywhere else I've lived. Not sure about a "high" crime rate. You certainly don't "feel" it on a day-to-day basis.

Old 10-27-2009, 08:46 AM

183 posts, read 443,419 times
Quote:
Here's a study that suggests otherwise:

Journal of Religion and Society (http://moses.creighton.edu/JRS/2005/2005-11.html - broken link)

Note the figures at the end.

Old 10-27-2009, 08:57 AM

1,556 posts, read 3,156,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjchris View Post
That is exactly how I feel, and obviously this was one post that was sure to insult a few....but I posted because it always surprises me when someone asks about personal beliefs. I would never ask someone casually, "Are you an organ donor?" or "Are you a democrat?" or "Do you give to charity?" any more than I would ask, "Do you believe Jesus died on the Cross for you?"

When people are like that, it is off-putting to me.

Why ask the question unless some judgement of worthiness is attached? Or is it pure nosiness? Or seen as an opportunity to change someone's way of life?

Anyway, it's not a reason to stay out of a community, so for those of you saying maybe we shouldn't move to Greenville, please, don't blow my post out of proportion. I'm a kind, generous and compassionate person whether I go to church or not. I'll simply think of some good one-liners to counter the questions. I lived 40 years in Virginia, and 2 in WV, so I know know how the rest of this type of conversation goes. I shall avoid any reference to religion in the future when I post here. Thank you.
You are right there are just certain things that are inappropriate. I also believe that some ask those types of questions just to be nosey and pry into others personal business and some do it because they want to pass judgement and get into a religious debate. There is a strong conservative, bible belt we are perfect christians attitude I have come across quite often in the south. It is funny though, you have actually experienced some of this conservative, religious attitude right here on the forum without having stepped a foot in Greenville!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area