Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 04:07 PM

137 posts, read 395,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjchris View Post
.... Husband found it amusing, but he did comment that it seems like "there's a Baptist church every mile!"

Wouldn't you know my husband found the one person who only gives directions based on getting the right answer to that question. At least I hope that there aren't lots of folks pressuring strangers about their beliefs!!!
Without getting sidetracked by what others have answered, I believe the only sentence in the original post that begs for an answer is the last. The rest is just amusing and helps set the stage.

So to answer the apparent question "Are there lots of folks pressuring strangers....": I've lived here two years and have been politely asked only 2 or 3 times if I had started attending a church yet, once people found out I was new to the community. I've probably encountered and talked to a thousand people in those 2 years. I'd say the inquiries about church attendance are no greater here than anywhere else I've lived. Those areas were all outside the bible belt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2009, 05:07 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,101,930 times
I am not really sure where the bible belt actually is, but I had well meaning folks ask me questions like that when I supposedly lived in the "buckle" of the bible belt. It seems to happen moreso in densely populated communities than in sparsely populated rural areas.

Old 10-27-2009, 10:11 PM

1,941 posts, read 4,447,806 times
Some people seem to believe that everyone in Greenville goes to church on Sunday, and that is simply not true. Christianity is obviously important to a lot of people in the South, just as it is in most areas of the country. It is part of the culture, for sure, but that doesn't mean everyone goes to church. In fact, a majority of people in Greenville don't go to church. That minority of churchgoers in a city like Greenville is higher than the minority of churchgoers in many other cities, but that is a far cry from the picture being painted by some in this thread.

I don't see what the big deal is. Just because someone goes to church does not mean that they are going to be in your face about it if you don't. I am confident that over 99% of people who believe in Christ aren't going to ram it down your throat. Some people need to bury the stereotypes and preconceived notions.

Old 10-28-2009, 12:34 AM

440 posts, read 771,210 times
Thanks Greenville. Makes me feel a lot better now.

Old 10-28-2009, 07:13 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,483,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenville View Post
Some people seem to believe that everyone in Greenville goes to church on Sunday, and that is simply not true. Christianity is obviously important to a lot of people in the South, just as it is in most areas of the country. It is part of the culture, for sure, but that doesn't mean everyone goes to church. In fact, a majority of people in Greenville don't go to church. That minority of churchgoers in a city like Greenville is higher than the minority of churchgoers in many other cities, but that is a far cry from the picture being painted by some in this thread.

I don't see what the big deal is. Just because someone goes to church does not mean that they are going to be in your face about it if you don't. I am confident that over 99% of people who believe in Christ aren't going to ram it down your throat. Some people need to bury the stereotypes and preconceived notions.
Also, it means that MANY of the folks who do go to church are NOT judgemental in the least - they do their "thing", and don't care what others are doing. I work with a very religious guy with wife & young kids, but he's cool with me & my partner, and is just a regular guy. Would do anything for you if he could.

Old 10-28-2009, 10:34 PM

1,941 posts, read 4,447,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateBooster View Post
Also, it means that MANY of the folks who do go to church are NOT judgemental in the least - they do their "thing", and don't care what others are doing. I work with a very religious guy with wife & young kids, but he's cool with me & my partner, and is just a regular guy. Would do anything for you if he could.
Well said!

Being Christian does not equal being intolerant, just as being non-Christian does not equal being tolerant. There are bound to be a wide variation of people within any group, ranging from very open-minded to very close-minded. In general, Greenvillians are a very welcoming group of people and I think that has played a big role in our growth as a metro (and will continue to benefit us moving forward).

Old 10-29-2009, 04:18 AM

76 posts, read 175,590 times
Quote:
Well said!

Being Christian does not equal being intolerant, just as being non-Christian does not equal being tolerant. There are bound to be a wide variation of people within any group, ranging from very open-minded to very close-minded. In general, Greenvillians are a very welcoming group of people and I think that has played a big role in our growth as a metro (and will continue to benefit us moving forward).
Yes, well said. Thank you!

Old 10-29-2009, 06:42 AM

266 posts, read 1,022,545 times
Cjchris - On another note...how did your husbands interview go?

Old 10-29-2009, 07:00 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,483,107 times
Quote:
Well said!

Right back atcha! (well-said) That's the one thing that we and my parents have found about the area - the people are just genuine and nice.

Old 10-29-2009, 07:59 AM

4,218 posts, read 8,476,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateBooster View Post
That's the one thing that we and my parents have found about the area - the people are just genuine and nice.
My husband and I moved to Greenville a year and a half ago (my, how time flies!). This is the main thing we have noticed.

The only people who've invited us to attend their church are a couple who are close friends. Even none of our neighbors have, and we live in a large townhome community. I'm out walking the dog several times a day and have met a lot of my neighbors.

Despite the area's strong core of conservatism and high rate of religious affiliation, I believe the OP's husband ran into something of an aberration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area