Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 06:07 PM

76 posts, read 175,582 times

Advertisements

My husband is in Greenville for a job interview. Arrived today, interview tomorrow. Today he did some driving around to see where things are, what Greenville is like, etc.

Well, he got a bit sidetracked trying to find the location of his job interview for tomorrow because Google directions were wrong and ended up a bit further afield than expected. He saw a man on the roadside, and when he asked him for directions, the guy asked him would he first confirm that he knows that Jesus loves him, etc....

....(ahem...)

Husband found it amusing, but he did comment that it seems like "there's a Baptist church every mile!"

Wouldn't you know my husband found the one person who only gives directions based on getting the right answer to that question. At least I hope that there aren't lots of folks pressuring strangers about their beliefs!!!

Last edited by cjchris; 10-25-2009 at 06:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2009, 06:15 PM

11,689 posts, read 24,637,762 times
Yes, all 1 million+ people in the metro area including me who is liberal and doesn't go to church is like that. We all stand on the side of the road with signs saying you should convert to our religion. We have no life. This only happens in this part of the country too. It never happens anywhere else.

Old 10-25-2009, 06:23 PM

I should add that my post was more to show I'm incredulous that the one guy my husband asks happened to be like that. What are the chances! Ha, probably one in a million, yes! Like I said, husband thought it was humorous but the more I thought of it the more I wondered how many people like my family live in that area! (said light heartedly but sorry if you are insulted). I have lived in communities like that in VA (where neighbors will ask you lots of personal religious questions).

Old 10-25-2009, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
yes, all 1 million+ people in the metro area including me who is liberal and doesn't go to church is like that. We all stand on the side of the road with signs saying you should convert to our religion. We have no life. This only happens in this part of the country too. It never happens anywhere else.

LOL

Cheers

Old 10-25-2009, 06:45 PM

1,366 posts, read 3,331,965 times
I liked your story. Yes, there are some folks like this in the Bible Belt (and elsewhere) but it comes with the territory. I, myself, am a Christian, but would not withhold needed information based on the inquirer's faith. Thanks for sharing, cjchris.

Old 10-25-2009, 07:12 PM

11,689 posts, read 24,637,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjchris View Post
LOL

Cheers
I try my best. If anybody bugs you about religion, call me. I'll take care of it.

Old 10-25-2009, 08:03 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,482,290 times
Sounds very Monty Python-esque.... "Answer these questions three, 'ere the other side of the bridge ye see."

Old 10-25-2009, 08:15 PM

2,287 posts, read 2,574,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
I try my best. If anybody bugs you about religion, call me. I'll take care of it.
Can I help too? Nothing irritates me more than folks who know everything about God/Religion/Theology. To only offer directions based on one's professing your faith in Christ is blasphemous at best.

Why can't people be tolerant of others? This makes me sooo mad - it is people like that who give religion a bad name.

Old 10-26-2009, 08:05 AM

5,893 posts, read 12,759,051 times
That's the kind of guy that makes real Christians look bad. A real Christian would have helped your husband out.

Old 10-26-2009, 11:12 AM

44 posts, read 102,937 times
Wow, harsh post Op. Sounds like you might need to look for another area but this time with an open mind!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area