Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 02:41 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,487,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
During a summer visit to Salt Lake City, I visited the Gateway. Salt Lake City's only open-air contemporary destination that delivers the ultimate in shopping, dining and entertainment.

We had dinner, then walked around and listened to bands playing and street performers, etc... A very, very nice "outdoor" mall.

http://www.shopthegateway.com/

Go to the site and check out the pictures...very cool.
That's pretty cool, and I'm sure it's a great retail center. But I'd probably still take our downtown with its more "organic" strolling, shopping, music, etc over "manufactured" strolling, shopping, music, etc. Sure downtown has a ways to go retail-wise, but then it would lose its charm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2009, 06:35 PM

1,939 posts, read 2,730,211 times
I agree with what you guys are saying about malls. I doubt you will see new malls opening anywhere in the U.S. A mall a thing of the past. Haywood Mall is perfect for an area our size. When the economy improves, I am sure more and better stores will be opening. Having said that, the new open-air destination shopping/living center's are much more exciting and attractive. The one in N.E. Columbia and the one is Myrtle Beach are beautiful example's of those type of centers. There is also a new center between just north of Hendersonville in Buncombe County, just off of I-26. We have nothing close to this in the Upstate. If only that terrible setup on Woodruff Road had been built like these centers...

Old 10-26-2009, 07:11 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,487,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by furmanpals View Post
I agree with what you guys are saying about malls. I doubt you will see new malls opening anywhere in the U.S. A mall a thing of the past. Haywood Mall is perfect for an area our size. When the economy improves, I am sure more and better stores will be opening. Having said that, the new open-air destination shopping/living center's are much more exciting and attractive. The one in N.E. Columbia and the one is Myrtle Beach are beautiful example's of those type of centers. There is also a new center between just north of Hendersonville in Buncombe County, just off of I-26. We have nothing close to this in the Upstate. If only that terrible setup on Woodruff Road had been built like these centers...
Open-air centers like Broadway at the Beach and Barefoot Landing are fine for tourist areas. And, I like The Shoppes at Greenridge. But, I'd still take a vibrant downtown/true city center over any of those.

Old 10-27-2009, 07:13 AM

9,362 posts, read 9,662,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateBooster View Post
Open-air centers like Broadway at the Beach and Barefoot Landing are fine for tourist areas. And, I like The Shoppes at Greenridge. But, I'd still take a vibrant downtown/true city center over any of those.
Greenville's downtown is one of the best in the country. I would like to see one of these "open air" type of centers to open in the downtown area. What is missing downtown are the "mall" type of chain stores that people desire.

The "Gateway" in Salt Lake I showed you in an earlier post is right in the center of downtown SLC.

Old 10-27-2009, 02:27 PM

181 posts, read 407,703 times
IMHO, the last thing any town/city needs is another mall.

Old 10-27-2009, 02:32 PM

745 posts, read 2,224,267 times
It's funny what's important to people. I very rarely go to malls- can't stand them, in fact. I either buy cheap, utilitarian clothes at the cheapest place I can, or I order something nice from LL Bean or the like. One of the few stores I enjoy browsing in is the Mast General Store downtown. I always seem to find something I like there. I would much rather stroll and window shop in a downtown area like Greenville has than go to any mall. Most of my shopping these days is done on-line.

Old 10-27-2009, 03:22 PM

899 posts, read 2,277,294 times
I didn't think people were building indoor shopping malls anymore--but then I saw the new Northlake Mall open in Charlotte a few years ago. Still I think the trend is to build more of the outdoor mixed-use/"lifestyle" centers. Someone mentioned Village at Sandhills down in Columbia and the Market Common in MB--something like that would fit in well in Greenville. Greenridge is like some sort of hybrid shopping development but I go ahead and lump that in with Haywood in the general "shopping destination" category.

Isn't that new Magnolia Place (or whatever its called where the Greenville Mall was) going to be similar to another Shoppes at Greenridge or is it going to be more like a lifestyle center...

Old 10-27-2009, 03:26 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,805,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by innovator82 View Post
I didn't think people were building indoor shopping malls anymore--but then I saw the new Northlake Mall open in Charlotte a few years ago. Still I think the trend is to build more of the outdoor mixed-use/"lifestyle" centers. Someone mentioned Village at Sandhills down in Columbia and the Market Common in MB--something like that would fit in well in Greenville. Greenridge is like some sort of hybrid shopping development but I go ahead and lump that in with Haywood in the general "shopping destination" category.

Isn't that new Magnolia Place (or whatever its called where the Greenville Mall was) going to be similar to another Shoppes at Greenridge or is it going to be more like a lifestyle center...
Greenridge is a lifestyle center and yes, that is what Magnolia will be as well. Market Commons in Myrtle is nice, I agree. As for Sandhills, nothing but a bigger, more moderate Greenridge, with some cheap apartments. Hope Greenville continues to do better than that.

Old 10-28-2009, 07:23 AM

9,362 posts, read 9,662,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
Greenridge is a lifestyle center and yes, that is what Magnolia will be as well. Market Commons in Myrtle is nice, I agree. As for Sandhills, nothing but a bigger, more moderate Greenridge, with some cheap apartments. Hope Greenville continues to do better than that.
The developers may call the Shops at Greenridge a "lifestyle center", but its not laid out as one. Typical lifestyle centers are designed for easy walking to all stores, etc... I agree with the other poster saying Greenridge is more of a "hybrid-center".

Old 10-28-2009, 08:00 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,805,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
The developers may call the Shops at Greenridge a "lifestyle center", but its not laid out as one. Typical lifestyle centers are designed for easy walking to all stores, etc... I agree with the other poster saying Greenridge is more of a "hybrid-center".
I know.....that long, treacherous walk between Barnes & Noble, Swoozies and PFCHangs the other night almost killed me! Miles and miles I walked! I thought to myself, this must not be a lifestyle center.

Just kidding you, but look-up lifestyle center. I'm in the industry. The name lifestyle center has nothing to do with the distance you walk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area