Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 01:35 PM
JS1 JS1 started this thread

1,896 posts, read 6,749,986 times

Advertisements

Hi I'm looking for an employment search firm in Greenville, SC. After I was laid off last December I tried looking for work myself but wasn't successful, so I moved to Dallas. I found a job but it's not going very well and Texas is so dang hot I'm miserable (it's either hot outside or hot inside!)

I would like to move back to Greenville but this time I want a professional to help me out. Otherwise I will again be unemployed for a long time which would make the move pointless.

There are lots of search firms, or staffing agencies, etc., but what I'm really looking for is to AVOID search firms that are unethical, say whatever you want to hear to make you happy and raise your hopes, and take your money up front and keep it for themselves.

I almost got suckered into that when I moved to Dallas. GLD search is one of those types of places. I almost forked over $900 for them to find a job for me before someone warned me that they are a scam.

Obviously, if I see a "GLD search firm" in Greenville I will avoid them like the plague. However, I doubt they are the only one.

I don't mind paying up front for ethical and genuine assistance but I don't want to get ripped off. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2009, 01:52 PM

2,208 posts, read 2,815,157 times
Never ever pay someone to find you a job. Legitimate staffing agencies get their money from the employer, not the employee.

Old 11-05-2009, 02:14 PM

14 posts, read 39,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvsteve View Post
Never ever pay someone to find you a job. Legitimate staffing agencies get their money from the employer, not the employee.
Ditto!

Old 11-05-2009, 03:16 PM

OK that's good to know. Are there any search firms that do that? That way I can immediately knock them off my list. I did a google search and there are quite a few in Greenville.

Old 11-05-2009, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoodlesKnowles View Post
why the change of heart?
I was in a really bad mood. I was shafted by my previous employer, who kept the locals and got rid of the imports. All they had to do was cut my pay down to the local prevailing wage and I would have been happy to keep my job.

Anyway, that's water under the bridge. Back to the topic at hand, do you have suggestions for search firms, good to contact, and bad to stay away from?

Old 11-05-2009, 06:56 PM

2,261 posts, read 5,816,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS1 View Post
I was in a really bad mood. I was shafted by my previous employer, who kept the locals and got rid of the imports. All they had to do was cut my pay down to the local prevailing wage and I would have been happy to keep my job.

Anyway, that's water under the bridge. Back to the topic at hand, do you have suggestions for search firms, good to contact, and bad to stay away from?
I wish I could help, sorry, i'm not in the market for a new job...yet, I will be probably within the next year or 2, what sort of jobs are you looking for? Oh and BTW I wasn't trying to slam you, I just saw your name and immediately remembered you from a much earlier thread, so I was curious.

Old 11-05-2009, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoodlesKnowles View Post
I wish I could help, sorry, i'm not in the market for a new job...yet, I will be probably within the next year or 2, what sort of jobs are you looking for? Oh and BTW I wasn't trying to slam you, I just saw your name and immediately remembered you from a much earlier thread, so I was curious.
financial analyst (e.g., banking, insurance, consulting) -- something between bank teller or billing clerk, and management or consultant

Old 11-06-2009, 02:30 PM

1,556 posts, read 3,533,698 times
What happened to you in Greenville is almost identical to what happened to me. I was laid off too and spent a lot of months looking for work in Greenville. I went from one employment agency to another hoping that they not only had some employers who were hiring but was hoping that they had something decent paying. The experiences I had with the staffing agencies in Greenville went from them being in shock after seeing my paystub (how much I made on the last job that I had transferred from NYC) from my previous employer to them telling me that they had no jobs available. I became tired of being offered $9.00 an hour jobs so I left and went back to NYC where I am now working in spite of the recession. Because of it's small population, low cost of living and the limited job opportunities SC has always been a low wage state.....which is what attracts some companies to locate there. The best way to enjoy SC is either 1) be retired and not have to worry about working or 2) have a bank account full of money.

If there is no threat to your job such as a layoff would be better for you to stay in Texas rather then going back to Greenville and risking finding yourself in the same situation.

Old 11-06-2009, 04:56 PM

347 posts, read 976,513 times
Robert Half International deals specifically with finance and professional jobs/careers. They're legitimate; I don't know how big their presence is here in Greenville though.

Old 11-06-2009, 07:12 PM

2,261 posts, read 5,816,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
NewYorkBorn, why do you keep posting the same posts over and over again in different threads?
my thoughts exactly!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area