Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 07:05 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,178,365 times

Advertisements

We just had our offer on a home accepted, as long as it passes inspection, it will be ours.

The home was built in the late 1960's and needs some updating. I'm unable to do a full kitchen remodel and I really don't mind the cabinets, they are in excellent condition for the age and are real wood. I've seen a lot of homes and it seems this type of cabinet door was very popular in this area during those years.

I plan on putting new floors, paint, hardware, lighting, backsplash and countertops-not to mention a DISHWASHER and disposal. Would like some ideas on what others who decided to keep their vintage cabinets did - just cleaned them, painted them, glazed them - and pictures would be great, especially before and after.

Below is what I'm working with:

Thanks for any input!

Oh, if anyone has these cabinets and are planning on getting rid of them, I could use some wood for the area where the DW will be going - let me know!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2009, 04:35 AM

WOW! I'm surprised that there's no one out there that's redone their kitchen?

Well, that must mean that maybe most people are doing a full remodel and getting rid of their old cabinets - in which case -

IF ANYONE IS GETTING RID OF THESE TYPE OF CABINETS IN THEIR HOUSE, PLEASE LET ME KNOW - I need some door fronts and maybe some flat pieces as well when I redo mine to fill in where the dishwasher will go.

Serisouly, if you have a few cabinets like this, or if you are a kitchen cabinets designer /contractor and know a kitchen remodel you'll be doing with these cabinets, please let me know.

THANKS!

Old 11-30-2009, 09:22 AM

8 posts, read 36,338 times
contact Dale Sumner, he does a great job remodeling and has a really good decorator that will put togethor whatever your price range is. 864-494-5659 They did a wonderful job on my bathroom.

Old 11-30-2009, 09:24 AM

THanks, appreciate the reply.

What did you do with your bathroom? Both bathrooms in this house need updating as well. Do you have any before/after photos of what he did?

THANKS AGAIN!

Old 11-30-2009, 02:31 PM

288 posts, read 948,824 times
One thing you might consider is replacing the doors. The style of the doors is making them look dated. There are local cabinet companies that can make new doors for you at a fraction of the cost of replacing the cabinets. New doors can be stained to match the current cabinets or left plain for you to paint. You can also have them refaced. This will involve making new doors (whatever color and style you want) and then covering the face of the cabinet bases with a veneer to match the doors.

The style of the hinges and fact they are visible is also rather dated. If they were my cabinets, I'd take all the doors and hinges off. Then fill the holes from the hinges and paint the bases. Then get new doors made and paint those as well. With a little practice, you can apply a glaze over the paint to make them quite fancy looking. I'm doing this to my bathroom cabinets. The new doors can be made with hidden hinges.

If getting new doors is too expensive, just painting all the cabinets and getting new hardware will make a huge difference. You'll have to be careful about the paint. It will have to stand up to a lot of use in a kitchen. If you don't do it right, it will peel or wear off and look terrible in short order. I'd visit a really good paint store (not Lowes or Home Depot) to get advice. They can tell you how to prep the cabinets and sell you a super durable paint. The Benjamin Moore store in Mauldin is really good for this. They've walked me through many projects.

Most of these suggestions will require both time and patience. You are fortunate to have a lot of cabinets! I have a great deal of skill and experience at this type of thing because I have patience and and time but not a lot of money. We are currently on our third house renovation. I've gotten many ideas from watching HGTV, where they often redo things on a budget. Especially the shows where they are fixing up houses for sale.

For new doors (or other suggestions), contact Pilgrim Cabinet Works in Simpsonville. Pilgrim Cabinetworks :: Quality Hand Craftsmanship

Old 11-30-2009, 04:38 PM

Thanks for the reply, and the information. I think I've seen Pilgrims site before.

If I wanted to go the route to painting the cabinets I'd let someone else do it. I've asked in the past about Easley Refinishing. I actually went there to see his work and liked it quite a bit. I'm thinking maybe they can take off the old moulding and either keep it flat or put something new on, like a Shaker style trim. Will have to think it through.

There's a place on 25 that does doors and they'll come out for a free estimate, which I'll probably do - lots to think about. All depends on cost. I've also been recommended some sites on line, but I don't trust myself to get measurements right and would much rather someone else be in the drivers seat when it comes to that.

I love the amount of cabinets in there, I think it's unusual in a house this age?

One inspection down, 2 to go - then we'll have a house (hopefully)!!!

THANKS AGAIN!!

Old 12-02-2009, 07:33 AM

2,068 posts, read 5,965,687 times
My daughter redid her kitchen last year, but she was in TN at the time, so I won't give a company name. I will say though, that her cabinet doors were much like yours, and that kind of cabinet looks like they came right out of a travel trailer. If you are going to spend any money, replace the doors as was already suggested, or find out if there is a way to fill in the routed out portion so you can then paint the door. A flat door would look better than what you currently have (sorry) and then you could get some cool retro or more modern hardware. Both options would cost a lot less than getting all new cabinets, especially if the boxes are in good shape. Good luck!

Old 12-02-2009, 01:43 PM

The doors actually have a raised moulding, not a routed out portion that can be filled.

I'm going to see what they look like once they're all cleaned up, and work with them, either leaving them the finish they are or refinishing, possibly if I refinish them the moulding can be removed and either be flat, or put another moulding on the door.

THANKS!

Old 12-03-2009, 11:46 AM

1,947 posts, read 2,757,407 times
I looked at the pictures and just had to show my wife. Your kitchen looked so close to what ours looked like a couple of years ago that it is funny. Even the stove was the same. So, in a 60's style home, we finally broke down and remodeled the whole kitchen. We used Ray Lowe and his two son's with Lowe's Home Remodeling Inc. (has nothing to do with the Lowe's store). They came highly recommended to us and I give them glowing recommendations. They are good and they are trustworthy. The phone number to reach them is 246-4210. There website is lowesremodelinginc.com. The kitchen on the first page of the website is ours.

Last edited by furmanpals; 12-03-2009 at 11:55 AM..

Old 12-03-2009, 06:12 PM

Thanks for the info. Nice kitchen! If you got other estimates, how did he compare in price? Did they do an entire remodel in your kitchen? Did you do the layout, or they gave you guidance? Any before pics??Will def. keep their names!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area