Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2009, 06:07 PM

11 posts, read 36,427 times

Advertisements

So I've done lots of research and reading about all different warm places around the USA, and I no matter what, I keep coming back to SC, specifically EASLEY or Greenville. It sounds really awesome and I very much want to move there! I like the rural/country but want to be close to the city since it's probably inevitable that I will be forced to work in one. I've lived in Iowa all my life and I just hate the weather, that is the main reason I want to move. The only thing that's stopping me is a little thing called employment. I'm 22 and I work in Information Technology. What are the chances I could get a good job in that area? I really hate it that my job dictates where I live, but what can I do. I know the unemployment rate is higher in SC, but I only need ONE job, ya know! Any insight would be awesome!! Thank you.

Scott

PS I'm planning a trip to the Greenville area late spring of next year to see what it's like since I've never been there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2009, 06:50 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,545,659 times
It's great you've narrowed your search to our area! I don't know much about IT jobs in this area personally, but with the amount of business activity and headquarters here, it shouldn't be too difficult. BTW - not that we've had snow or ice yet, but it's been in the 30's and 40's much of the last few days here. You'll definitely still need a jacket or two! Good luck! The folks on our forum are helpful and informative for the most part.

Old 12-12-2009, 07:06 PM

11 posts, read 36,427 times
Ha, yeah I've been keeping tabs on the weather there and comparing it to here and thinking "dammit!". But still it's a lot warmer than here. The cool thing about IT is that almost all companies have it, so I'm not limited to just an "IT company". Anyway, I've been talking about moving for a couple years now, I'm tired of talking, I want to actually do it! Thanks for the reply.

Old 12-13-2009, 12:29 PM

1,556 posts, read 3,548,182 times
Greenville and the surrounding areas are a work in progress (diamond in the rough). There is potential because it has grown......and hopefully will continue to grow, but no one can guarantee what the future will bring for the area or how easy it will be to locate work. Some of the business's are doing well while in the past few months there have been some that have gone out of business.

As a growing area it does not YET offer all of the opportunities that bigger already established cities offer. But who knows you may be lucky and locate work. As far as the winter temperatures I was shocked during a recent visit to see that the temperatures were in the 30's.....on a brighter note Greenville does not have the amount of snow that is prevalent in some areas of the US and last winter there was only one snow all winter.

Good luck

Old 12-13-2009, 12:56 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,545,659 times
Rest assured, with the number of companies with substantial operations here, you shouldn't have trouble, esp given the lead time you have!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area