Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 06:18 AM

843 posts, read 1,431,124 times

Advertisements

Happy Holidays and Holiday Lights are very nice to encompass ALL other people and religions that celebrate holidays during the same time as Christians. So Sorry for trying to be INCLUSIVE and loving one another like Christians are taught to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2009, 06:39 AM

2,213 posts, read 2,841,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
So here we are, 7 pages into the thread and no one has been able to answer any of my questions, maybe you can give it a shot.

Why is the word Christmas offensive? When did it become offensive? Why did it not use to be offensive? Thanks and Merry Christmas
This is called "begging the question." It's a question that assumes incorrect facts. It's as if I asked you this:

Why does the word "holiday" offend you? Are you against holidays?

Nobody is offended by the word "Christmas." The use of "holiday" is a way to avoid wrongly assume someone's religion. And if I were living in a country where the majority was Hindu or Muslim, I would really like it if they did not incorrectly assume I was celebrating Diwali or Ramadan. And so I do unto others as I would like them to do unto me.

Last edited by gvsteve; 12-09-2009 at 07:24 AM..

Old 12-09-2009, 06:42 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,549,285 times
Happy Holidays y'all. This thread has run its interest for me. I hope it "lights up" the Roper Mtn Science Center fundraising efforts with the holiday lights and more people go there.

I am fairly new to this area and looking forward to taking my grandkids to the center on the second Saturday of an upcoming month...........

Old 12-09-2009, 07:22 AM

182 posts, read 350,648 times
Spartanburg had it's annual Christmas parade last night, rain and all. Merry Christmas, Happy Festivus, and a Joyous Chrismahannakwaanzika to all!

Rain and cold can't dampen festive spirit displayed at Christmas parade | GoUpstate.com | Spartanburg Herald-Journal | Spartanburg SC (http://tinyurl.com/yhudrtd - broken link)

Old 12-09-2009, 07:30 AM

2 posts, read 2,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
I'm not smearing anyone Mrs. Bradshaw, I specifically asked your husband three times if he found the word Christmas offensive, and each time, he said that he would not answer the question. I'm all about charity, as I use to volunteer at a local boys shelter, but when a specific charity is so steeped in political correctness and assumes offense when none is present, it is my right to boycott said charity and take my family and money elsewhere. I have zero problem with lights that represent other holidays, however when the name of a specific federal holiday is sanitized and being wiped clean from our lexicon, that's too far, imho. If your husband and his committee decide to call it Roper Mt, Christmas Lights, then I will by all means contribute my money and perhaps even my time as a volunteer, until they do that (and I won't hold my breath waiting) I will not set foot on their property. That is my choice, and it is your choice to do so. Merry Christmas.
You obviously find it perposterous that anyone unrelated to Mr. Bradshaw or unconnected to the Science center or Rotarry club would defend a charitable cause simply because it is the right thing to do; however, that is exactly what I did. The proper response from you would have been to simply apologize for erroneously assuming that political motives are responsible for the naming of a wonderful charitable event. I did not specifically defend Mr. Bradshaw's remarks; however, I'm sure anyone being harrassed in such a beligerant fashion as you described in your original post would have been just as flustered as Mr. Bradshaw likely was. Sorry to hear you will deny your family the awesome opportunity to enjoy the Roper Mountain Holiday lights this year, but I hope everyone else will take advantage of this fantastic charitable event! See you there.

Old 12-12-2009, 03:16 PM

17 posts, read 52,489 times
We haven't attended Roper Mtn lights in several years because it's too expensive for their tiny little show.

Go to HollyWild Christmas and enjoy a real Christmas experience, hot chocolate,petting zoo and a real manger scene with live animals. You'll get the true meaning of Christmas there!

Roper Mtn is hokey!!

Old 12-12-2009, 07:59 PM

5,590 posts, read 15,371,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USA COUNTRY View Post
Roper Mtn is hokey!!
No, it annually raises money to support local children's charities and educational programs. If $10 per carload is too much to give, then you probably shouldn't be there in the first place.

"Over the past 17 years, Holiday Lights has given back over $1,413,000 to the community."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area