Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2009, 03:54 PM

899 posts, read 2,277,937 times

Advertisements

I was talking to someone the other day who moved to Greenville from Penn. about two years ago. He is big into sports and is a fan of all the Philly teams. Since living in SC he has become an avid Clemson fan, going to a lot of football/basketball games. He's got all the Clemson stuff on his car now too.

I guess I've never thought about newcomers who come to this area adopting Carolina and Clemson as their new "hometown" teams. Most people I've known throught my life are usually Clemson or Carolina fans because they either A.) went to school there; B.) grew up that way; or C.) have some sort of other connection to the school, maybe through family.

I've known people who will move from one place to another and pull for the new city's/state's teams--like people who relocate to Charlotte and become Panthers fans, etc. But since SC has no pro-sports teams, and the sports scene in the state is dominated by Clemson and Carolina, I was just wondering if any newcomers/transplants to the area have since become avid fans of either team?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2009, 08:50 PM

335 posts, read 1,178,278 times
I love my Philly teams as well. Grew up there and still pull for them in the professional aspect. However our state does not have a home pro team, so I think that is why college teams are big here. I pull for Clemson because my now 8 year old daughter fell in love with them about 3 years ago. Her bathroom and bedroom are Clemson decorated. And yes, we do have a car decal too.

Old 12-30-2009, 10:31 AM

4,218 posts, read 8,482,930 times
I moved here from North Carolina and I'm still a Carolina fan... UNC Tarheels, that is.

Old 12-30-2009, 01:34 PM

5,893 posts, read 12,766,302 times
A firm no here. Though everytime my granddaughters see a tiger tail hanging out of someone's car trunk or rear door, they beg their daddy, "Save the kitty!" They also think everytime they see a paw decal on someone's car that it's a clue (like on "Blues Clues"). LOL

Old 12-30-2009, 02:23 PM

1,161 posts, read 1,852,686 times
We became Clemson football season ticket holders this year - so we have "adopted" CU. My connection was though I went to high school in Maine, I had two friends whose parents were Clemson grads - so we were aware of their football program. My next door neighbor and I went to the same HS (10 years apart) in Maine and he is a USC grad - so we like to antagonize each other!

Plus, I like the experience at Death Valley being the stadium is on campus - but I like to see both CU & USC do well.

I am first and foremost a Washington State Cougar fan - despite how lousy their football team has been the last 2 years (2-10, 1-11)

Once a Coug - Always A Coug. I'm confident I'm the only one flying a WSU flag in Greenville County!

Old 12-30-2009, 02:26 PM

12,747 posts, read 18,563,203 times
I believe in pulling for the home team (or the team closest to home). I just happen to have been born in the Midlands (Sumter) and just happen to have grown up pulling for USC and just happen to have graduated from there. If I lived in the Upstate and had not gone to USC nor grown up pulling for them, I'd pull for Clemson over USC. Living in Columbia, I would pull for USC over Clemson even if I had no affiliation with USC.

I have a theory that lots of people who live in the Midlands who have no affiliation to either school
but who pull for Clemson just like being antagonistic toward the majority of the people around them or that they jumped on the wagon for the traditional winner in the most popular sport: football. By the same token I have a theory that Upstate residents with no ties to either school who pull for USC over Clemson are just being antagonistic.

Old 12-30-2009, 10:24 PM

1,941 posts, read 4,451,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
By the same token I have a theory that Upstate residents with no ties to either school who pull for USC over Clemson are just being antagonistic.
Or they just have horrible taste in schools.

Old 12-31-2009, 06:35 PM

27 posts, read 104,682 times
My DH fits this bill. We live in the North East, his parents moved to Simpsonville 9 years ago. In the NorthEast College Football is not that big a deal, in the South it is Religion! He never really had a favorite College Football team. Needless to say he got hooked his first time inside the 80,000 seat Death Valley Stadium, feeling the electricity of the players tapping Howard's Rock and running down the Hill (arguably the most exciting 10 second entrance of any team in the country) Now he is a certified Clemson Football fan, even though he never went to school there. Whenver we visit he loves to go to a game and follows the Tigers like a die hard fan and also hates USC!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area