Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2009, 07:21 PM

39 posts, read 76,213 times

Advertisements

Just wondering if there was anyone out there who could give me some good comparisons between the two cities first hand?? We are trying to decide what to do. I've been to the Knooxville forum lurking as well.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2010, 01:02 PM

10 posts, read 28,884 times
I've lived in both cities. I'm in Greenville now and we purposefully moved back from NE TN (Johnson City area). When we lived in K'ville, it was much smaller, but we've gone to the town many times in the last 12 years we lived in TN. But when it got right down to it, we usually came to Greenville for serious shopping and entertainment. We'd rather travel the 2.5 hours to here than the 1.5 from JC to K'ville. TN has no state income tax, so if that matters to you then it's certainly a consideration. You better like the color orange if you go to K'ville. It's a nice city. I can't really say anything that I don't like. But Greenville to me is about 10 times better. The things that make it better are: friendliness, ease of getting around, education opportunities, more culturally diverse, shopping, dining out, cheaper.

Hope this helps.

Old 01-03-2010, 02:06 AM

1,941 posts, read 4,469,688 times
I've never lived in Knoxville, and I have only visited a couple of times, but even at that it was obvious to me that it is nowhere close to the city that Greenville is. But I am admittedly biased.

Old 01-03-2010, 07:10 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,860,796 times
I used to go to Knoxville on a regular basis with a company that was based there, and must say, even though I live in Greenville, I find Knoxville a very appealing city. I think Greenville and Knoxville are pretty equal, with each having the edge in a few different areas:

City beauty - Greenville wins
Area beauty/access to mountains - Knoxville wins
Great downtown - Greenville wins
Restaurants - Greenville wins
Bars/nightlife - Knoxville wins
Arts/museums - Greenville wins
Shopping - tie - Both Haywood and West Town are very good malls. Both owned by Simon and both having almost identical stores.
Access to beach - Greenville wins
Transportation/airport - Tie
Housing prices - Tie
Schools/education - Greenville wins
University/college/college sports - Knoxville wins
Corporate headquarters/business environment - Greenville wins
Friendly people - Tie

Old 01-03-2010, 04:22 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,544,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
I used to go to Knoxville on a regular basis with a company that was based there, and must say, even though I live in Greenville, I find Knoxville a very appealing city. I think Greenville and Knoxville are pretty equal, with each having the edge in a few different areas:

City beauty - Greenville wins
Area beauty/access to mountains - Knoxville wins
Great downtown - Greenville wins
Restaurants - Greenville wins
Bars/nightlife - Knoxville wins
Arts/museums - Greenville wins
Shopping - tie - Both Haywood and West Town are very good malls. Both owned by Simon and both having almost identical stores.
Access to beach - Greenville wins
Transportation/airport - Tie
Housing prices - Tie
Schools/education - Greenville wins
University/college/college sports - Knoxville wins
Corporate headquarters/business environment - Greenville wins
Friendly people - Tie
Just a small caveat here: The Bars/nightlife edge Knoxville enjoys is due to the fact that Knoxville is a college town, so buyer beware!

Old 01-03-2010, 04:52 PM

843 posts, read 1,431,964 times
I also wouldn't classify west town mall a very good mall, but I also compare most malls to Riverchase Galleria in Birmingham, AL which isn't the typical mall.

Old 01-03-2010, 05:53 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,860,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcatp View Post
I also wouldn't classify west town mall a very good mall, but I also compare most malls to Riverchase Galleria in Birmingham, AL which isn't the typical mall.
I lived in Birmingham and Riverchase has gone waaayyy down. What used to be moderately upper end has become solid moderate. Sad. West Towns store list is pretty solid upper end.

Old 01-04-2010, 06:27 AM

843 posts, read 1,431,964 times
Yes but there isn't a Macy's and that was the hardest part of living in Knoxville even though the Dillard's is pretty good. And there isn't a Publix in Knoxville and kinda hard to find upper end grocery stores. Unlike Greenville where there are Publixes.

Old 01-04-2010, 06:58 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,544,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcatp View Post
Yes but there isn't a Macy's and that was the hardest part of living in Knoxville even though the Dillard's is pretty good. And there isn't a Publix in Knoxville and kinda hard to find upper end grocery stores. Unlike Greenville where there are Publixes.
....and Bloom, and The Fresh Market, and Earth Fare and Whole Foods....

Old 01-04-2010, 12:07 PM

213 posts, read 551,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateBooster View Post
....and Bloom, and The Fresh Market, and Earth Fare and Whole Foods....
Knoxville has The Fresh Market and Earth Fare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area