U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 07:59 PM

250 posts, read 1,123,596 times

Advertisements

Welcome Home! I was pretty much hanging out with the wife and kids on-and-off throughout the weekend and saw many folks who looked like they were visiting, so I wondered if any of them might have been you. It sounds like you were left with the first impression that so many are (including myself) when visiting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom62 View Post
...wound up driving north on 25/276 toward Travelers Rest.. The few blocks north of town just before you get to the 291 Jct were the ONLY places (we visited anyhow) we saw that were an eyesore. Some delapidated buildings, closed up busnesses that most likely relocated to newer buildings.. Q: what exactly IS up with that area???? Didnt even see a single person walking the area, was like it's abandoned..
That stretch of road between the recently dedicated Pete Hollis Gateway (http://www.flickr.com/photos/linkerjpatrick/495004152/ - broken link) and the Cherrydale Point Shopping Center at the 291 intersection is one that we have discussed and brainstormed a number of times locally. The biggest problem is that most of that area is outside of the city limits; therefore, the city can't do much to improve it at the moment. This is unfortunate, since it is (as Skyliner pointed out) such a vital corridor into Downtown Greenville from Travelers Rest (and Hendersonville, Asheville, and other areas to the north). The first time I drove along this road, I literally turned around because I thought I was heading into a bad part of town. I got back to home base, studied the maps again, and then realized that I must push through the barrier and continue. I'm certain I'm not alone in this initial perception.

The stretch of this highway that is within city limits is beginning to undergo some revitalization efforts (the Pete Hollis Gateway is one of those) thanks to some individual fundraising efforts, local investors renovating old run-down buildings and drawing new businesses to the area, and some minor landscaping improvements that the city has chipped in. Hopefully this will be contageous and more people will be drawn to improve the area.

I'd personally like to see the entire stretch of road brought within the city boundaries and a massive effort to overhaul that entire stretch of road and to ensure that all of the utility lines along that stretch of road burried, that new WIDE sidewalks, landscaping, lighting, street signage, and stoplights on poles (not hung from wires) are installed. This is such an important corridor, that I feel it deserves no less than a complete makeover. For now, it'll leave the same sad impression on visitors (and locals), I'm afraid.

At any rate, I'm happy you got to spend some time in our fair city and that you've enjoyed yourself!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2007, 07:22 AM

107 posts, read 481,337 times
Hi Tom62,
Thanks for writing such an articulate description of your visit. It was like reliving our own first visit to the area. That's why we are moving into our new home in Simpsonville from Boston in August. Thx again and glad you liked it!

Old 05-30-2007, 09:42 AM

43 posts, read 172,180 times
This sounds a lot like my first visit to Greenville!! We wound up moving (via Boston) 9 months later and have loved it here since!!

Best of luck to you!

Old 05-30-2007, 05:45 PM

240 posts, read 1,193,276 times
I am pleased the fine folks from Greenville enjoyed my brief summary of our visit. Can tell ya, from both of us, its strait from the heart. We ran up 1999 miles from start to end, and visited /scouted out a dozen towns we thought may be of interest from folks on this website (both NC and SC) Believe me, we had some major dissapointments as well. Im glad we focused on the Greenvile area, thanks to several of you and your input......I now have a new concern Can we take down all these threads on the Greenvile area? I mean, what if they ALL find out? The "others" may be lurking.........

Old 05-30-2007, 06:20 PM

107 posts, read 481,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom62 View Post
The "others" may be lurking.........
Oh my! Is that a "LOST" reference? It's Wednesday, woohoo!

Old 05-30-2007, 07:06 PM

Aww, re-runs till next fall..

Old 05-30-2007, 11:03 PM

250 posts, read 1,123,596 times
The "others" or the "other others?"

(For the records, I don't watch the show, but my friend and neighbor, vwsam filled me in on it the other night.)

Old 06-01-2007, 05:51 PM

Default Re-visit may be coming soon

At work today, still thinking about last weeks scouting mission and cell ph rings...Wife ask me, "let me put a bug in your ear-think about this-how bout in July we fly back to G-Ville for a long weekend and check out the surrounding smaller towns??"
If flights are reasonable, we may just be on our way back down so I just might be hittin' some folks up for more info...We been picking thru older threads as well for any stray things of interest.

Old 06-01-2007, 07:19 PM

234 posts, read 1,151,075 times
Tom62 - If you go out of Bradley - tickets are $199 right to Greenville. We are going back down in Oct - and found tickets for that wicked good price.
Check out www sidestep dot com
good luck
Leggo

Old 06-03-2007, 06:32 PM

Not a bad price at all, especially considering fuel cost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area