U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 03:43 PM

240 posts, read 1,193,630 times

Advertisements

I dont like to bring up older threads, but the theme was relevant so what the heck. Well we never did get to fly back for mid summer, however its looking like an autumn ride on the scooter may be in the works. Still have some vacation time left and some unfinished business of sorts around Greenville.
We have had PLENTY of time since we've been back home, and you know how people change their mind about this kinda stuff (relocations/moving) . They write letters on here in March, and by October they are moving to London or Yukon Territory .
Nope, Greenville left its mark. And so did the people..Cant wait to go back....again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2007, 03:47 AM

51 posts, read 156,855 times
Well, for us, this is a VERY relavent thread! Leave for the airport in about an hour to head down there for the first time! Hope to be posting similar feelings in a few days!

Old 08-18-2007, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkwat View Post
Well, for us, this is a VERY relavent thread! Leave for the airport in about an hour to head down there for the first time! Hope to be posting similar feelings in a few days!
Cool.. As I read this, you've already landed. Since your a fello N.E.glander I would be interested in what ya thought of the area.

Old 08-18-2007, 07:01 PM

18 posts, read 44,696 times
Default tom62...no hickory for you?

hey there. i think i read your original post correctly...did you say you were at one time considering hickory, nc? if so, and if you went there also, i'd be interested to hear your take on it. we had been STRONGLY considering a move there from n fla for about 10mos (based on 1 quick visit). we went back in july, and were disenchanted. we're now scoping g'ville, and can't believe how great it sounds/looks on paper. our fear is that hickory also looked great on paper and in the city-data threads. i know we need to plan a trip to truly get a good feel, but was wondering what you did not like about hickory...it sort of stands to reason that if we were on the same page with hickory, your comments on g'ville would be more weighty(?) for us. after being on the hickory threads forever, ii trust nobody...in fact, i think the creators of LOST are completely making it up as they go

-john

Old 08-19-2007, 02:21 PM

510 posts, read 1,587,027 times
Hi Tom, I also just read your thread and would love to hear about what you thought of Winston Salem, we were interested in visiting the Clemmons area?? Also I saw you drove through Lincoln County, another spot we have our eye on. What impressions do you have of these areas. I am just discovering Greensville, Sc and have not done much homework yet, but you make it sound wonderful. Love to read your thoughts.

Old 08-21-2007, 05:44 PM

I'll try to handle both post here. I only pop in to lurk like once a week, so sorry for any delay!!
On Hickory: We spent some time there after G-ville. After visiting G-Ville, Asheville, Morganton and Black mountain Hickory was pretty ho-hum. Dissapointed in amenities, for a town of its size. Has all the things you see pop up right off the interstates (Home depots-TGIF-Hooters etc.) But nothing really unique which is what we look for. It definitely was not the worst place we've ever traveled to! Its just a dissapointment after being to the other cities & towns. Nearby Morganton was impressive, we spent hours downtown scoping. One oddity, could not find a unique character restaurant, pub, public place to eat anywhere. Im guessing they are all extremely thin or survivalist? Im sure we were just in the wrong place.
Anyhow, one plus for Hickory for us, was its close to them big hills just to the west. Motorcyclist paradice, photographers paradice..
For familymom: thanks for the kind words. You inspire me to get of my butt and write the travel guides I have always wanted to do! Unfortunately we never did get to scope out the Winston-Salem area. I have read from my books in my library (at home) Old Salem is a cool downtown and a must see .. Greenville was so impressive we decided to hang out longer. Our experience with Lincoln county was not lengthy. Basically, after exiting the interstate we traveled 321 south down to Gastonia. From what we saw, it want bad, but we didnt travel off the main route. I know the lake just to the east (Norman) is getting purdy built up. My brother likes Gastonia a lot, he's been offered a job in a body shop as painter on a commision. But he lets a good job overwhelm and blind him from quality of life issues.. I wasnt impressed with the town..

Old 08-21-2007, 06:03 PM

One last word on Hickory....I had to rewrite my last post, somehow I lost it just B4 hitting "submit" and I hate when that happens. Anyhow, Im remembering the things I wrote the 1st time. The downtown historic part of Hickory we both felt was actually pretty nice. We did stroll around a few blocks, by the old train station (closed down restaurant of course) and you can see there is some pride here. However once ya get beyond the center of old Hickory we lost interest. It became something bordering on an eyesore. I got an impression this is a town that tetered on becoming a ghost town not long ago. We did not feel threatened in any way, probably could have left the car doors unlocked. But it just seemed like a tired old place past its prime and in the midst of reinventing itself.. I feel for all thos e who lost their jobs to corporate greed when the furniture factories uprooted and shipped out. Sad.
The closer you got to the I-40, you re-emerged amongst sprawling auto dealerships, shopping centers, chain restaurants and such. Its odd, there is something we are drawn to this place, and something that repels us. cant put a finger on it.

Old 08-21-2007, 07:21 PM

18 posts, read 44,696 times
Default exactly.

yeah...i know what you mean about the like/hate hickory relationship we seem to share. good call on the "lacking unique character" comment. so, in your view, g'ville apparently has what hickory lacks? i was under the impression you could get to some good mts within a short drive of g'ville, no?

Old 08-21-2007, 08:15 PM

51 posts, read 156,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom62 View Post
Cool.. As I read this, you've already landed. Since your a fello N.E.glander I would be interested in what ya thought of the area.
HEAD OVERT HEELS! I cried as the plane left the gound! Where fomr NE are you from? Are you there now? Or, like us, looking for a better life?

Old 08-22-2007, 02:34 PM

745 posts, read 1,977,282 times
Greenville is pretty close to some mountains- 1/2 hour or so. The first mountains along Hwy. 11 are up to about 3500', but as you get into NC, they get bigger. Paris Mountain at 2100 ft is pretty close to downtown G'ville, then it flattens out until you reach Hwy 11. Because the mountains rise rather abruptly (Like Table Rock) the effect is quite dramatic and beautiful. We were drawn to the area partially b/c Greenville is so beautiful a city (and I hate cities), there are more employment opportunities, and the land is fairly tame right up until you hit the actual mountains. We looked at NC, but much of the land is too steep (both terrain AND price!) and employment and city amenities are too far away. We have 7 acres about 15 miles north of Greenville, and paid about half what a small building lot goes for here in FL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area