Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2010, 08:21 AM

4 posts, read 5,954 times

Advertisements

My husband has relocated from Charlotte and is working on Roper Mtn Rd near 385/85 interchange. I will join him in the spring and will be working in Anderson. We're considering housing in either Powdersville or Augusta Rd area. Housing budget is flexible, but would prefer 800K. Really want good public schools. So my questions are: which has better schools, and also what about River Reserve? It seems nice but there sure are a lot of homes for sale there....is that a red flag? Is this neighborhood in trouble? Finally, as an aside, I'm also pregnant so any comments on OBs and or best hospital for delivery would be appreciated. Sorry for the length!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2010, 08:54 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,544,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfufan View Post
My husband has relocated from Charlotte and is working on Roper Mtn Rd near 385/85 interchange. I will join him in the spring and will be working in Anderson. We're considering housing in either Powdersville or Augusta Rd area. Housing budget is flexible, but would prefer 800K. Really want good public schools. So my questions are: which has better schools, and also what about River Reserve? It seems nice but there sure are a lot of homes for sale there....is that a red flag? Is this neighborhood in trouble? Finally, as an aside, I'm also pregnant so any comments on OBs and or best hospital for delivery would be appreciated. Sorry for the length!!
I can't address all your questions, but River Reserve is a newer development, and I'm sure there are probably many spec-built homes for sale there. That could be the reason for the number for sale. You might also consider Acadia, very near River Reserve, a "new urban" development which will eventually include a small town center, etc.

In your price range, you could also afford a very nice home in the Augusta Rd (or Augusta St. if you're closer into town) area. This area has older homes with mature trees and lawns, and is one of the more upscale older residential areas.

Powdersville would be a good location esp to put you nearer work in Anderson, but is a more "typical" suburban area. I've head good things about the schools serving this area, however. I believe there are developments/neighborhoods in all price ranges in that area.

Hope this helps, and hope you enjoy living in this area!

Old 01-14-2010, 09:12 AM

5,593 posts, read 15,378,718 times
The River Reserve is ideally situated on a cozy plot of wooded, rolling land between I-85 and I-185, directly next to the Saluda River and picturesque Woodson Lake. I would highly recommend purchasing a home there, if you are able to afford one. The reasons are due (in part) to its proximity to Greenville, Easley, Simpsonville (via I-185), and Anderson, not to mention the fact that it is located in Anderson County's desirable School District One.

Old 01-14-2010, 09:17 AM

11,706 posts, read 24,788,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfufan View Post
Acadia or River Reserve in Powdersville and Chanticleer near Augusta Road would be good suggestions.

Old 01-14-2010, 05:49 PM

511 posts, read 1,522,647 times
Default River Reserve

I agree with g-man. River Reserve or Acadia would be good choices. The inventory is probably due to spec homes and with the market change the larger homes were not selling as well. That is picking up. You may want to check out St. Francis Women's Center. There are some good ob-gyn doctors in Powdersville (near River Reserve) but if you want to drive into Greenville you will find some highly recommended doctors as well.

Old 01-17-2010, 10:23 PM

82 posts, read 196,527 times
I think there are only 4 -5 houses on the market in River Reserve currently with 2 being spec. homes. for the size/newness of the neighborhood I don't think that is very many.

I have friends with children at Augusta Circle, Sara Collins and Blythe and all love them for different reasons (these are the 3 elementary schools for that area of town). Augusta Circle has smaller class sizes, Sara Collins is an IB school and Blythe has language immersion in Spanish or French. The main concern I hear from friends in the Augusta Road area is about the middle school. Several have said that they will not send their children there.

I live in River Reserve so I know a lot people with kids at Concrete Primary, Powdersville Elementary, Powdersville Middle and Wren High and most everything I have heard has been extremely positive. The one negative that I heard back when we were relocating here is that many people who are from Greenville would not consider this area or the schools because they feel it is too country.

Acadia is across the river from River Reserve and in Greenville Co rather than Anderson so it is a different school district and I have not heard good things (I have never heard anything terrible but I have never heard anyone mention it when they talk about the top schools) about Woodmont - the school it districted to (again this is just what I have heard, I have only been inside one of the local public schools since my kids go to private school). I do not have any personal experience with any of the public schools but we did tour Concrete Primary which is K-2nd grade since it is the public school we are districted to and we liked it but my husband really wanted to send our children to private but we did want to make sure that we chose to live somewhere that we liked the public schools so it would always be an option.

On OB's I just delivered my 3rd with Piedmont OB/GYN and I really liked them. I delivered at GHS and had a good experience there. It is only about 7 minutes from my house. Feel free to send me a message anytime.

Old 01-18-2010, 06:57 AM

511 posts, read 1,522,647 times
Default River Reserve

There are currently 5 homes listed on the multiple listing for sale. 3 are new construction and 2 are re-sales. They range in price from $689,900 to $989,000. This is in River Reserve. There are 2 new construction homes in Acadia listed for $349,900 & $379,900. You can go to greatschools.net and get some school statistics as well. Both of my grandchildren have gone to Concrete and Powdersville Elementary. They seem to enjoy their schools and their parents have had no complaints. New schools are being built to accomodate for growth.

Last edited by pgriss; 01-18-2010 at 07:02 AM.. Reason: subdivision name
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area